Another idea - The pay as you go Season Ticket

Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I was just topping up my phone when this idea came to me.

Firstly, wouldn't it be great if we got rid of the paper and printing costs of tickets and had it all on a swipe card / chip and pin?

In order for a pay as you go season ticket to work, one suggestion would be to have it running in parrallel with a season ticket scheme that runs as normal but offers the best discounts and incentives, bonuses for parting with cash up front for the entire season.

A swipe card / computer system would record which matches and how many that you have been to. The price of admission would be determined by the number of games you've attended eg the first 8 games cost you 20 quid, the next 8 only cost you say 16 and the final 7 cost you say 12 pounds each. With this, the more games you go to, the cheaper it becomes and thus encourages you to keep going. Wouldn't it be great when you reach the business end of the season and the really important games that you get rewarded for the loyalty you've shown during the season when the club needs your support the most. If you went to all the games, your overall discount would be similar to having a season ticket but pitched above this so that people will still buy season tickets.

As has been already suggested, you could have something similar to the old mondex style card that you put cash on or just a separate swipe card perhaps?

I initially thought about replacing season tickets all together which would be the ideal but, at the start of every season clubs like have that big chunk of cash to be able to plan ahead.

Guest tomarkley

I actually think that is a very good idea.

As long as there is some sort of security which means people cant use it if you loose it..

I mentioned something along these lines in April last year:

Cost of 1st 7 games: 100% of the nominal price (e.g. 25 / 20 / 15 quid)

Next game: Free

Cost of next 7 games: 80% of the nominal price (e.g. 20 / 16 / 12 quid)

Next game: Free

Cost of next 7 games: 60% of the nominal price (e.g. 15 / 12 / 9 quid).

That's the 23 home league games covered.

7 x 25 + 7 x 20 + 7 x 15 = 420

7 x 20 + 7 x 16 + 7 x 12 = 336

7 x 15 + 7 x 12 + 7 x 9 = 252

Season ticket prices for the 25 / 20 / 15 quid categories (perhaps optimistically, I'd have these as the adult prices for the South Stand, North Stand and Kop/Family Enclosure respectively): 400, 320 and 240 quid respectively. In other words, a season ticket would cost just under 70% of the total cost of full-price tickets for the season, and would get you 7 free games. I reckon we have a fair number of 'floating fans' who probably go to 4-6 games a season. If they knew that going to an extra one or two meant they'd get a free game, I think plenty of them would. Also, even though the season ticket here isn't a bad deal, there will still be people who don't buy one because they can't afford it, or just don't want to commit themselves.

Edited by Sova

I think having a pay as you go season ticket would solve a lot of the problems that could be associated with the Direct Debit system a lot of people on here are hoping for.

With any system we have to pitch it so that the regular season tickets are still the best value for money. Maybe a 40 pound overall difference would be sufficient between the two methods?

If we can get the "in ground" revenue streams up and running, then anything that gets more people into the ground can only benefit the playing squad further.

Guest hayhurst

Interesting idea you could base it on transport for london's oyster cards. Which you wave over a sensor on entry and exit from say the tube at which point your ballance is automatically debited for your journey

Become a member of SWFC at the usual price and get a card.

Then pay for matches by:

pre-booking a seat on the website which would automatically be associated with your card on the computer system

charge your card with cash and then wave your card on entry to the ground, at which point your account would be debited and your seat allocated

If you loose the card you can go to the club shop and get it canceled and a replacement issued by answering a couple of questions.

Season tickets could also be on cards rather than the usual book of vouchers.

I believe man-city already have a similar card based system.

Interesting idea you could base it on transport for london's oyster cards. Which you wave over a sensor on entry and exit from say the tube at which point your ballance is automatically debited for your journey

Become a member of SWFC at the usual price and get a card.

Then pay for matches by:

pre-booking a seat on the website which would automatically be associated with your card on the computer system

charge your card with cash and then wave your card on entry to the ground, at which point your account would be debited and your seat allocated

If you loose the card you can go to the club shop and get it canceled and a replacement issued by answering a couple of questions.

Season tickets could also be on cards rather than the usual book of vouchers.

I believe man-city already have a similar card based system.

Good suggestion, I especially like the bit about pre booking your seat online. What happens if people pre book a seat and then don't turn up? Maybe people could be allowed to cancel up to 48 hours prior to a game, otherwise they incur a cancellation fee. Maybe they could have a cancelation fee for any cancelations or a staggered fee ie the earlier you cancel the cheaper it is?

Guest hayhurst

You pay at the time of pre-booking from the ballance on your card. With the option to top your card up with cash at the same time.

The good thing about this is the club could have the money that you had topped your card up with in advacne of you buying tickets.