All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Springett before my time but I have read enough about him and sought enough opinion to believe he was an outstanding keeper. He was only kept out of the England side by Gordan Banks which says a lot. Of the keepers I have seen, it's close between Pressman and Westwood but Pressman just shades it as he played the majority of games for us at the highest level.
  3. We’ve had some good keepers, even David Lucas did a good job in a time that was pretty tough in league 1. I really cannot remember Woods being that good, i’m tainted from the flapping, miscommunication (Blackburn away. - Palmer pen goal) and the Arsenal Cup Final goal. The latter I’ll never get over I liked Hodge at the time, but Winterburn’s long range league cup shot finished him off. And he got eaten by a keeper (Coventry at Hillsboro). Brace maybe, not the best. Pressman was a good servant and has god reactions, but we had some serious beatings with him in goal (not always his fault) Westwood, who holds the clean sheet record has been great, apart from a spell when he was carrying an injury.
  4. Just to remind everyone Turner saved from Brian Mclair in the final not Mark Hughes
  5. You've just described David Hirst there. Come on Brucey baby....find us one of those.
  6. Think this is spot on Snoots and only hope the supporters realise it will take time. Rebuilding to this extent doesn't happen over night but from SBs comments, really like what I'm hearing.
  7. Rhodes issue is a difficult one, if Norwich go up, think they'll want better than him, he's not a target man, no pace, so no good with Fletcher or Hooper, if we can get rid, think this would be the best option.
  8. I think, very much as Mi'Lord, that this close season is going to be one of what we might call great change. Bruce has put his head on the block, and said as much. He wants fast, attacking football, and this will mean speedy backs, mid-fielders , and forwards. This doesn't necessarily mean that the players have to be sub-10 sec sprinters, however. Football is much more thhan running about everywhere, but more thinking quickly, in advance and finding spaces, turning defence into attack much more quickly than we can do. I fear that we are going to be saying 'goodbye' to some well loved faces And for f**k sake , do not expect Bruce to be able to wave a magic wand, and make us world-beaters.We are not, and he cannot . Even the almighty Sir Alex couldn't achieve perfection overnight.
  9. Many people seem to have taken this as Bruce welcoming Rhodes back with open arms, and perhaps even making his someone to build a team around. I think that is a bit of conclusion jumping. When Bruces words are broken down I think it very much leans the other way. Twice he makes reference to seeing what Norwich want to do. Having a conversation with Norwich. If it was just a case of the loan deal finishing then why would we be waiting particularly on them. He'd just come back wouldn't he? I don't think it's any stretch at all here to see that Bruce would very much like to see if Norwich would take him off our hands. Maybe the loan to Norwich had a loan to buy option in it. They can buy at a set price if they want him at the end of the loan. If that is the case Bruce would need to wait for them to make a decision first before he can decide on Rhodes's future. Personally I think he could do a job for us if we played to his strengths but financially we could get cheaper players who fit into Bruces system rather than Bruce having to change to accomodate a player. It all comes down to money at the end of the day.
  10. Today
  11. Got this for £8. Just looked now it’s gone up to £9.99. Most mugs are around the £10 mark ish so he isn’t a million miles away. Last 3 i have had were around £8 ish so prices obviously gone up in last 12 months
  12. Some sort of Reach breakdown was inevitable eventually. We've ridden him like a BMX for three straight seasons. Barely missed a minute of first team football, and put twice the miles in that anyone else has. 39 games in his first season, 46 (!!) last year, and 41 this. 98% pitch time in total this year, and directly involved in 1/3 of our goals. If anybody has earned an early holiday, it's this lad. Absolutely pivotal to our overall chances next season, whether it registers on the pitch or in the coffers. Personally I hope it's the former, but either way, he needs and deserves a rest now. CC basically ran Kieran Lee into the ground, and it cost us big time. I'd be driving Reach to the all-inclusive myself right now, if I was Bruce.
  13. Leaves us a bit open down the left hand side, with Worthington playing right in front of Roland!
  14. Well tbf as you are probably inferring I am one of those people, I don’t however like using pricing as a stick to beat the club with, I would much rather see us pricing fairly and say fizz all. Some people are happy in getting ripped off, I hate it , especially when they are preying on loyalty, but let’s not derail the topic, good luck to this guy, im sure he will do well, just think If priced better he would move in big volumes.
  15. Yea, but who didn't travel on the coach.?
  16. I think there will be a real impetus on young, energetic, enthusiastic pacey players. I'm all for that. It might not click straight away of course, not just because of the possible lack of experience some of them might have, or indeed some of them having to adapt to Championship football (whether that be dropping from the Premier or moving up from Division 3 or abroad) but also because of the sheer number I expect will be coming in and the time it might take for them to integrate with each other.
  17. Woods was a terrific shot stopper. Too scared of crosses for particular liking though. Everything we conceded a corner I always feared the worst. Too good looking for a keeper, IMO, and scared of getting his much bashed in. The like of Deane, Ferdinand and Fashanu terrified him in close quarters. I think of the absolute fearless bravery that Martin Hodge had, they weren't in the same ball park. More of a parrier than a catcher. I was excited when we signed him of course. 'Englands number one'. But even from that first game against Villa there were alarm bells ringing in my head about spillages. I see a couple of votes in there for Weaver and Srnicek. Interesting votes. Anyone who's gone for them want to say what it was about those lads that particularly liked? Maybe it was the fact that one of them played in a terrible, terrible team which may have made him look worse.
  18. Have to agree. Dont think Juventus or Monaco have been in for Hector. If Cahill came for the love of the club and say a 25k a week fee would snap him up. In todays football world dont see it happening though. He could be the new Mick Lyons.
  19. Thanks Snoots I like how SB is preparing everyone for a massive reset in the next few months. Of course we all know that it's absolutely necessary and that it may well mean that next season we could once more be hovering somewhere mid-table (hopefully not battling relegation) if the pieces just don't fall into place. But I'd rather see promotion with a squad that doesn't need to be rebuilt for PL, which would be the case if we got promoted this season.
  20. Don't know if i mentioned it....But get voting!!
  21. they both started up front... before making their way down the coach and taking their seats
  22. I'll be wearing a fetching combo of a spotter's badge and a tinfoil hat today - and indeed over the remaining three fixtures following - trying to work out, based on performances, which players if any have a) already been spoken to, b) feel they're still in with a decent sniff when it comes to potential renewals at S6, or c) know the writing is very much on the wall, and are either on the beach or, conversely, frantically cramming themselves into a crowded shop window. I've *thoroughly* enjoyed following the highs and lows of this VERY rollercoaster last 3-4 years for Wednesday, all things considered (yes, even the chilly and mystifying Jos era, in hindsight - not that his football was any fun to watch, but the El Doradoesque soap opera plotlines were frankly unmissable). It's been an incredibly colourful time since DC came aboard, which has been hugely engaging, for better and worse, after what felt like a loooooong period of suffocating drabness by our own reliably bonkers standards. I'm determined to enjoy watching the Class of '16-'19 ply their trade for the last few times as a group before we say a fond - mostly! - farewell to many of these players who have brought us so much intrigue, hope, agony, nail-biting entertainment and speechless bafflement over the past few campaigns. It's been a heck of a ride, and I will always look back on this group with great fondness. And a grim chuckle. I mean WTF, honestly lads. Absolute madness loving this club. The sun is out, there's a wind of change blowing (and not just up the back of the Kop ). UTO, roll on 2020 and the next chapter.
  1. Load more activity
  • Topics

• Rhodes issue is a difficult one, if Norwich go up, think they'll want better than him, he's not a target man, no pace, so no good with Fletcher or Hooper, if we can get rid, think this would be the best option. 
    • Gone mushrooming with Abdi....
    • I think, very much as Mi'Lord, that this close season is going to be one of what we might call great change. Bruce has put his head on the block, and said as much. He wants fast, attacking football, and this will mean speedy backs, mid-fielders , and forwards. This doesn't necessarily mean that the players have to be sub-10 sec sprinters, however. Football is much more thhan running about everywhere, but more thinking quickly, in advance and finding spaces, turning defence into attack much more quickly than we can do. I fear that we are going to be saying 'goodbye' to some well loved faces And for f**k sake , do not expect Bruce to be able to wave a magic wand, and make us world-beaters.We are not, and he cannot . Even the almighty Sir Alex couldn't achieve perfection overnight.
    • Many people seem to have taken this as Bruce welcoming Rhodes back with open arms, and perhaps even making his someone to build a team around. I think that is a bit of conclusion jumping. When Bruces words are broken down I think it very much leans the other way. Twice he makes reference to seeing what Norwich want to do. Having a conversation with Norwich. If it was just a case of the loan deal finishing then why would we be waiting particularly on them. He'd just come back wouldn't he?  I don't think it's any stretch at all here to see that Bruce would very much like to see if Norwich would take him off our hands.   Maybe the loan to Norwich had a loan to buy option in it. They can buy at a set price if they want him at the end of the loan. If that is the case Bruce would need to wait for them to make a decision first before he can decide on Rhodes's future.   Personally I think he could do a job for us if we played to his strengths but financially we could get cheaper players who fit into Bruces system rather than Bruce having to change to accomodate a player. It all comes down to money at the end of the day.
    • Got this for £8. Just looked now it’s gone up to £9.99.    Most mugs are around the £10 mark ish so he isn’t a million miles away. Last 3 i have had were around £8 ish so prices obviously gone up in last 12 months