All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. The blame for this situation should sit squarely at the feet Chansiri. If he'd actually not been all "fur coat and no knickers" then we would have in place the following: 1. A long term plan. 2. The ability to recruit capable staff 3. The ability to be an attractive club for transfer reasons 4. A comprehensive and fully functioning club executive and mananagement structure 5. A non-toxic relationship with the fanbase other than those who sycophantically suck his c@#k. He is the very reason why all this is a topic of discussion is down to Chansiri and his inability to do things properly and accept that "our" club isn't his exclusive little pet muse. He's got zero ability to show leadership or the ability to work "with" others. "Spikskley is bad fan, ungrateful"
  3. I would be very surprised if he is number 1 if we go down. Rarely happens that a young keeper becomes first choice. I don't think even Röhl would make him first choice. I think a new signing would be number one.
  4. Sometimes you just don’t know how much you miss someone until they’ve gone. For me personally I’m sure that will be the case when Bannan finally leaves us.
  5. Valley Parade is unrecognisable now compared to when the disaster took place. As is Ibrox, as is Heysel. Hillsborough looks almost exactly the same. The Lepp is exactly the same. It makes it easy to highlight fault where any arises, regardless of how seriously you take it (personally I thought the thing with Newcastle was a load of guff, but it shows how easy stories like this take hold). The reality is that whilever the Lepp stands as it is, and as it was in 1989, then we're open to criticism and will be viewed as not doing enough. As much as I loathe the Daily Mail, I also think it's worth highlighting that supporter safety impacts everybody. People have commented on this very forum, this season, that it feels like parts of the ground are massively underserved by reduced stewarding numbers (particularly the North). I'm pretty sure there was also something from earlier this season around the clubs safety certificate? The standards across all fronts at Hillsborough have absolutely plummeted recently and it seems like supporter safety is started to be impacted. I find that absolutely shocking for this club to play fast and loose with this stuff.. and I don't think we can complain if these things circle back to the disaster in the media. We can't escape it until there's dramatic changes.
  6. Exactly. People said this about Wildsmith and Dawson when they were just breaking through at various times. Rarely happens.
  7. I’d say you’re 100% right, it was just luck. From what I understand and with no inside knowledge, Chansiri is the Board. Aside from his dodgy advisor, there’s no one around him with any football knowledge. So I’m not sure how he can really assess and differentiate candidates. At the end of the day, Xisco had a Championship promotion on his CV and Danny didn’t. I don’t know how Chansiri could really dig in to someone’s credentials and experience when he’s no real reference point. So, it’s just CVs come in (and always will given we’re a well known club and there’s loads of managers looking for work / opportunities) and he picks who he likes the sound of.
  8. I was at a game, don't recall which one but likely to be late nineties / early 2000's. Memory is sketchy, but the Referee pulled a fetlock, so Lino took over reffing and 4th official took over lino, then an announcement when out over the PA systems for a level * qualified ref in the stadium, whereupon a bloke came forward from North Stand and took over 4th official. We were waiting for a Managerial sending off in the Visitors dugout.
  9. Yep on the basis. Shearer isn’t a Newcastle legend
  10. As excellent as Palmer is, you really need to drop either Saka or Foden to get him in the team. He can go as a squad player, but that means someone like Grealish, Rashford , Maddison or Bowen missing out. We just have an abundance of players in Palmers position. In fairness, so did Guardiola at Citeh which is why Palmer was sold to Chelsea .
  11. Watching them play it out from the back makes us look even worse at it.
  12. I agree with all of that, except for maybe the word "comfortably". It's a very tight league, and there's a reasonable chance we could have found ourselves on the cusp of being dragged into the mire, even with Danny at the helm. Probably safe by now though. Funny thing is, without the expectation reset that was Xisco Munõz, some on here would probably be calling for his head by now anyway.
  13. Every club thinks their ground is special and has history. Middlesboro, Leicester and Derby fans would have felt the same way about their stadiums as we do. As tough as it is to take, there isn't anything special about Hillsborough. If Everton can move from Goodison Park, we can move from our gaff, even Wembley got knocked and rebuilt. I think the time is fast approaching where our stadium will be past repair and rebuild. I'll hate it , it will be incredibly sad, but we don't have any special circumstances that would prevent us moving to new stadium if the finances were in place.
  14. 'Traitors'? Rather than standing and listening to the singing being blasted out of the sound system just before kick-off, what should we all have done instead? I assume you were loudly booing throughout? It's just we couldn't hear you over the Hillsborough sound system, right?
  15. "Legend" is overused. Players like Sibon, Nuhiu, Bullen, Hutchinson...etc. are arguably "icons" (albeit highly subjective, obvs). But Barry Bannan been a stand out player for a decade; club captain, talisman...etc. Aside from a few "legends" of the early 90's and Mel Sterland, I'm struggling to think of anyone else, in my 4 decades of supporting Wednesday, that might qualify.
  16. Problem with Hillsborough is apart from the north stand nothing else was done properly at the time it’s why we still have the leppings lane as it is. Instead of a complete rebuilt after the disaster we just put seats in the Lower and put on a new roof leaving the existing pillars and then adding more and did not address the concourse. the kop roof was not done properly either we built a cantilever 30 years early but to save money regressed with a poor design. then when the south was done for euro 96 we failed again by just building on top of the existing stand which is why there’s no leg room and why we don’t have proper sized changing rooms and why the tunnel and dugouts aren’t on the half way line
  17. No, no, no - we had a great January transfer window, remember?
  18. Given the way Cole Palmer is playing where do we sit with squad positions for the Euro's? I think it's a given that the following 9 players Southgate will start for England if fit.. Pickford, Walker, Stones, Maguire, Rice, Saka, Bellingham, Foden, Kane. That leaves LB & CM up for grabs. LB - depending on fitness / form I think will be these three in this order. Shaw, Trippier, Chilwell (if the other two are fit I don't think Chillwell is on the plane) Preferred options of Southgate for CM will be Phillips, Henderson, Mainoo, Gallagher (though Phillips has almost certainly played himself out of the team now). What about the rest though? If integration into the group and learning styles of play wasn't an issue I'd say these players were the form players in advanced areas.. Gordon, Palmer, Maddison instead of Rashford, Grealish, Bowen. Toney & Watkins both should go... In defence, I don't think Reece James will make it. Trent can cover midfield playmaker so will go, Gomez & Guehi have done enough to be there over Dunk.
  19. Exactly that. We've had mid-table form since Röhl took over: And top-ten form since the first international break gave him a couple of weeks to actually work with our players on the training pitches: But those opening ten games under Muñoz have absolutely crippled us. We've done pretty well since then, but it's looking increasingly likely that we simply don't have the quality needed to overcome a self-imposed points deduction of the magnitude Chansiri gave us with his summer of chaos, I'm afraid. It will be disappointing to go down to League One again, but it will be absolutely soul-destroying to go down knowing that we've been the tenth-best team in the division since late November onwards. Röhl really has been swimming against the tide with one hand behind his back, hasn't he?
  20. Yep, some Owls fans can keep saying we just need to ignore these commentators, but they aren't going to go away. You can't erase the past and the wrongs that happened at the stadium and people involved at the time. Our club really could do with a fresh start, new owner & new stadium.
  21. We needed that class striker and midfielder in January and didn’t get. That’s at least two years running now a little investment has cost us .
  22. The police, government and tabloids all lied about it - creating a huge huge scandal They would have totally got away with it if it wasn't for the persistence of the Liverpool victims families and community. Ps - Some people STILL trot out the stuff published by the tabloids at the time - even though it's been comprehensively proven as totally untrue
  23. At the end of the day, when a lot of people hear the name "Hillsborough" they automatically will think about the disaster. And yes, I think that because it involved a huge, global club like Liverpool and that there was a significant cover up by the authorities only adds to that.
  1. Load more activity
  • Topics

• Valley Parade is unrecognisable now compared to when the disaster took place. As is Ibrox, as is Heysel.    Hillsborough looks almost exactly the same. The Lepp is exactly the same. It makes it easy to highlight fault where any arises, regardless of how seriously you take it (personally I thought the thing with Newcastle was a load of guff, but it shows how easy stories like this take hold). The reality is that whilever the Lepp stands as it is, and as it was in 1989, then we're open to criticism and will be viewed as not doing enough.   As much as I loathe the Daily Mail, I also think it's worth highlighting that supporter safety impacts everybody. People have commented on this very forum, this season, that it feels like parts of the ground are massively underserved by reduced stewarding numbers (particularly the North). I'm pretty sure there was also something from earlier this season around the clubs safety certificate? The standards across all fronts at Hillsborough have absolutely plummeted recently and it seems like supporter safety is started to be impacted. I find that absolutely shocking for this club to play fast and loose with this stuff.. and I don't think we can complain if these things circle back to the disaster in the media. We can't escape it until there's dramatic changes.
    • Exactly. People said this about Wildsmith and Dawson when they were just breaking through at various times. Rarely happens.
    • I’d say you’re 100% right, it was just luck.  From what I understand and with no inside knowledge, Chansiri is the Board.  Aside from his dodgy advisor, there’s no one around him with any football knowledge.  So I’m not sure how he can really assess and differentiate candidates.  At the end of the day, Xisco had a Championship promotion on his CV and Danny didn’t.  I don’t know how Chansiri could really dig in to someone’s credentials and experience when he’s no real reference point.      So, it’s just CVs come in (and always will given we’re a well known club and there’s loads of managers looking for work / opportunities) and he picks who he likes the sound of.  
    • I was at a game, don't recall which one but likely to be late nineties / early 2000's. Memory is sketchy, but the Referee pulled a fetlock,  so Lino took over reffing and 4th official took over lino, then an announcement when out over the PA systems for a level * qualified ref in the stadium,  whereupon a bloke came forward from North Stand and took over 4th official. We were waiting for a Managerial sending off in the Visitors dugout. 😁
    • Yep on the basis. Shearer isn’t a Newcastle legend