Kop Gets New Roof

Guest intercity0wl

It was completed in the summer of 86 and got officially opened by, wait for it The Queen at the Southampton game season 86/87.

You sure, i thought the queen opened it one sunny midweek afternoon, and not at a game.

Guest intercity0wl

I thought she opened it on a mid week afternoon in December if I remember rightly, could be mistaken though .

What made me think it was an afternoon she opened it is i seem to remeber some schools having the afternoon off so the kids could attend, might be totally wrong again tho.

Edited by intercity0wl

What made me think it was an afternoon she opened it is i seem to remeber some schools having the afternoon off so the kids could attend, might be totally wrong again tho.

You may be correct. All I know is that she did attend the Southampton game and it could have been the same week whether it was officially opened during the week or at the game needs clarification.

You may be correct. All I know is that she did attend the Southampton game and it could have been the same week whether it was officially opened during the week or at the game needs clarification.

She opened it on the Friday the 12th of December, in front of mainly school children and educational authorities (55,000). Their was no game apart from the young owls playing on the pitch. The game on the 13th was Wimbledon away. The Southampton game was on the 8th of nov, doesnt mention owt about the queen tho.