Grand Master (14/14)

• Dedicated
  • Reacting Well
  • Very Popular
  • Posting Machine
  • Collaborator

Recent Badges

Community Answers

1. " The FA Cup eh. 3rd round day. One of the great days of the year. But you know Stubbs, I know I moan about it every year I moan but it's true. The magic wanes. Every year I moan and gripe about the FA cup and how that great historic pot is treated with contempt by the big boys. A hinderance and I know it's boring, but my word but it rages me inside. The contempt they show this epic competition! It pains me to see how the fans of smaller clubs are often robbed of their moment by seeing their team taking to the field against some big boys ,only to find themselves playing some Premier League U21 side with an International or two sprinkled in. When really, the point is, this. It's not about whether they win or lose. It's about the day for that town. Playing the superstars, the chance of a rare occasion, an upset that will live long in the memory. The occasion. But, these new brand of super club don't care about that. Not a bit of it/ They only stick their proper players in when it matters. I find it all really quite sickening. I really do. Then you have the lower Premier clubs. Their attitude towards it I find even worse. They'd rather finish mid table in the Premier League than have a good cup run ,I'm sure their fans would like a day out at Wembley and a chance to see their Captain win that famous trophy. But not their clubs. No, they would rather 17th in the Premier than win the FA Cup. What a world we live in. Where that comes above the glory!" "Indeed ,Sir. Shall I arrange for a late lunch, with it being a tea time kick off this evening?" "What, eh? Oh no. We're not going to the match Stubbs." "But...what about all this romance of the Cup business" "Never mind that, all we need to focus on is staying in the Championship, nothing else matters....we have to put the kids in. Don't want to risk anything. My God Stubbs....my God" "Sir?" "I've...I've become like them haven't I? Saying one thing, but doing another. Talking about the prestige of the Cup but being no better than Klopp, or Gaurdiola or....or...an Arsenal fan myself. I've become a sound-biter, who can't back it up. More faces than Big Ben! Ye Gods, what's become of me. I say one thing, but want us to do another. A fraud! A modern ...a modern, I can barely say it. A...a.....a modern supporter. A weasle who talks the talk, but won't walk the walk. Someone who says the right things, but doesn't really give a hoot when push comes to shove! A man who doesn't mean what he says. A man who lies! Lies! A liar! Oh Stubbs, what have I become. What can I do from here." "Politics, Sir?" ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- FA Cup | Third Round Jan 6, 2024 kick Off 5.30pm Hillsborough Stadium THE OWLS Wednesday will have to ring the changes where possible but currently have nine players out injured, and they have two players susepnded, meaning they are limited to an extent as to how many changes they can make. Midfielder Momo Diaby might be given some game time after a long spell out, though he will be monitored closely and there might be scope for wingers Phuthi and Wilks to stake their claim. Michael Smith will compete with Ashley Fletcher to lead the line with Bailey Cadamarteri likely given a rest after suffering some fatigue. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- CARDIFF CITY Siopis sounds like a disease a student might get on his gap year in Borneo building wells for the indigenous people. But in reality he's a mdfield player turning out for Cardiff. Rumour is that they will put a strong side out to face the Owls. Whilst likely to rest Grant the bluebirds will still use 4 goal ike Ugbo up front. and make few changes to their back line.
  2. So another calendar year is about to be consigned to the history books. But in football, the quirk means that the footballing year is still in mid flow and there are plenty of points still up for grabs and many twists and turns still to come in this years tale. What a 12th months it has been. This time last year we started the new year period sat in second place in League one and opened 2023 with a 5-0 win over Cambridge. All was going well, and a good January window could see us strengthen that position. As it was we didn't do any business, whether it was deemed the squad was strong enough, whether we had deals lined up but couldn't get them over the line, or whether we simply didn't have the budget with the League 1 financial losses will be up for debate. What can't be debated was that our rivals did do business. Ipswich , who sat 3rd did excellent business in not only bolstering their squad but bringing in players of Championship quality. In typical Wednesday fashion, having signed no extras we then picked up two crucially bad injuries to Byers and Windass,(who had just hit a rich vein of scoring form) and Wednesday started falling away, and in the end found themselves limping over the line into the play-offs. Ah yes. The play-offs. We are often told that it's the best way to get promoted, the most dramatic. And it is. But is also the most cruel way to go out. And that certainly looks on the cards when we slumped to our worst performance of the season in the first leg at London Road falling down to a 4-0 defeat. The fates, it seemed were against us. But what followed was one of the most memorable nights our beautiful old stadium has ever seen, and joins and possibly tops a pantheon of memorable moments. Coming back from four down was some feat. What remains ever more impressive than that feat itself , for me, was coming back again, when, after the Owls had run their blood to water, Peterborough got an undeserved equaliser which could have crushed the spirit. Then for Liam Palmer to be the one to level, a boyhood Wednesday fan. It's the dream come true, and moment which we all lived as if it was each one of us down there on the turf in the blue and white. A moment of sporting joy so pure that only a football supporter could truly understand it. And so to Wembley. A damp squib of a final in the end against our six fingered chums from up the road. Windass to the rescue at the Death repeating a feat his father had achieved those years before. Back in the Championship. We all knew it would be hard. The core was there, but we needed strengthening and the January window and Ipswich's blistering end to the season showed the value of a good window. Barely a week after Wembley and some of the heros of the season were on their way. Jack Hunt, scorer of the coolest penalty I've ever witnessed in terms of magnitude was released. Along with the ever smiling Adeniran, and the want-away Dele-Bashiru. Experienced stopper Stockdale was given licence to move onto the next stage of his career with York City. We needed bolstering before. WE certainly needed bolstering now. Not to worry though, just 4 days before pre-season was due to start Darren Moore was on SKY telling an interviewer that he'd got a list of targets, some permanent and some Premier League loan deals already pencilled in and ready to go. Days later he was gone. In circumstances that gave Wednesday the sort of press coverage that they haven't had for years. Perhaps sadly, more coverage than the Play-off come back. The ex-manager kept a dignified silence, the owner however couldn't resist a little pop. How much was lost in translation is always up for debate. What cannot be debated in this case though was where he laid the blame. At the door of of Moore who he essentially called a greedy sod. Without actually releasing figures. "He wanted four times more money!" the owner winnied Four times what though? Four times £100k is a different to four times £1m, isn't it? Without knowing the figures in relation to other Championship clubs, there's no barometer, and it comes across as a hatchet job and a convenient excuse to part the ways. Why not a more honest way of doing it? Like Watford "Yes, he's got us up, but we just don't fancy him anymore" Eventually Moore did have his say, and said it was about "moving transfer budgets". As ever the truth probably lays somewhere in the middle. Of course, as all this farce played out the dawn of the new season was only just around the corner and Wednesday needed someone to come in and take control of a ship veering off course and staffed only with a skeleton crew. THE NEW MAN - Part 1 Eventually, after what seemed like an age, Wednesday appointed Xisco Munoz. A granite faced Spaniard who looked suitably p*ssed off from the off, and little wonder as the owner quickly hijacked his revealing press conference to have a pop at former Wednesday midfielder Carlton "Leighton" Palmer in front of the National press in a bizarre and childish rant . MOST BIZARRE MANAGER UNVEILING IN WEDNESDAY HISTORY Wednesday wasted no time in jetting off to Spain for the seasons preparations. Videos showed the players riding bikes and, it has to be said looking boiled alive. The games themselves left those who saw them worried. Pre-season, it is often argued, means nothing in the long run, and results wise that is true, but there were already some worrying signs. Most prominent among them, attacking intent or lack of it. As you do, you try and convince yourself these are mere teething problems. "Well, there's no point charging about killing yourself in the heat" I found myself uttering. However, by the time pre-season had finished we looked none the better having only one win - a testimonial at Chesterfield - and infact more worryingly our best player through pre-season was the young lad Phuthi from the youth team. Never the less 28,558 packed into Hillsborough for Xiscos championship bow with the Owls, despite the game being on the tellybox. What proceeded was a walk in the park for the away side who dominated the ball for the entire game and barely gave Wednesday a kick of it. Only saves from Cameron Dawson stopped it becoming a cricket score. The fact that Southampton sold £150m pounds worth of this talent the week after this fixture seemed to be typical bad fortune for Wednesday. However as the defeats started to rack up, there were other worrying factors starting to show through. The manager became seemingly obsessed with giving the two oldest players in the squad, Bannan and Gregory completely new positions to play. After a 25 year career as a centre forward Gregory was now being asked to play some odd midfield role. And Bannan, the diminutive Scottish play-making maestro was asked to move into attack, leading to the ridiculous sight of him challenging gargantuan, brutish Championship centre backs for headers. Delgado, a willing Chilean runner was picked to play wherever there was a space to be filled on the day, though seemingly never considered for the position in which he actually made his name as an experienced World Cup International - right back! As the defeats mounted so did the concern. It wasn't just the number of defeats, though the number of those alone was terrifying -it was the manner of the defeats. There seemed to be no game plan other than to randomly select players , usually out of positions, and then send them onto the pitch with an instruction not to cross the half way line under any circumstances. Xisco started to cut a more waspish figure in the press, giving ever more sarcastic replies when asked about his teams poor play, terrible results and bizarre team selections. All the while that Wednesday struggled to create a chance, never mind to put one away, last seasons second top assist creator, Marvin Johnson, was training on his own after being bombed out during Pre-season. A clear case of a personality clash being put before the team. Small man syndrome at it's worst effect. As the team stumbled from one defeat to another, away from the pitch the Chairman , amongst many missives released during the first half of the season, seemed to be on a one man mission to to blow up the the bridges of connection that Darren Moore had done so well to build between the club and the fans last season. The owner once more accusing fans of not helping the club, being needlessly negative about the club, (who sat rock bottom with one point to their name) and further announcing that he was sick of the moaning and wouldn't be putting another penny in. Less than 10 days later he was having to put his hand in his wallet to pay Xisco and his team off. Though from what it seems there was only Xisco and a couple of chums ever involved. A far cry from the man who replaced him... THE NEW MAN - Part 2 Enter Röhl With Wednesday sat plum bottom the idea we'd get a top manager seemed way off the mark - Unless the wage and bonus for keeping us up was ridiculous, like Leeds clownishly threw at Allardyce for 5 games. Besides, the notion of trying to buy your way out of trouble seemed barmy to a club already feeling the financial pinch, and for an owner who's previous 'gambles' have back fire hugely on both the club and himself personally. The usual names were bandied about. The list of has-beens and never will-be's. As people sat doodling the calculations and poring over track records it soon became evident that of all the current managers on the block there was only one who ticked the boxes and had the attributes and track record to rescue clubs in this position. The problem was, he was old enemy. One of them. For as many pointed to Colin being the only one capable of providing a Red Adair style fire dampening to our perilous league position there were as many again who just couldn't get past his past affiliation down the road. WARNOCK- CLEARLY THE BEST CV BUT THE LINKS ACROSS THE DIVIDE WERE TOO DEEP FOR MANY TO GET OVER As it is, it mattered not, as the owner had probably never heard of him anyway... With only Colin with a CV anywhere near what was required, and him being unpalatable to many, Wednesday went down the road of "The untested manager" - A young coach in search of stepping out from the shadows and becoming a number one in his own right. If the owner was looking to save a few pounds by employing a young eager coach making his way in the game however, it didn't happen, as the forthright young German Danny Röhl laid down his plans early in negotiations which delayed his appointment , of he was coming in he wanted things done right and had plans in place and those plans included a large backroom staff brought in from high positions wherever they have been. Red Bull, Manchester United, Tottenham were the previous working environments of the first three back room staff in the door and there were more to follow. The owner had to dig deep in his pockets to get his man. On the pitch, the rookie manager didn't take long to work out what was what. First he Restored Bannan to midfield. Then brought Johnson back in from the Wilderness. Most importantly of all though, even more than giving all the players a fresh start - he sent his teams out to have a go. The difference between Xisco-ball and Danny-Ball is chalk and cheese and there for all to see, despite no up turn in results at first. Is it, at times perhaps, youthfully naive to always go for the win? To always make the positive changes? Well, quite possibly. DANNY BOY - YOUNG, FORWARD THINKING - BUT STILL LEARNING But the truth is, in our positions nothing else will do. It's certainly better , in my opinion, to go down trying to win rather than trying not to lose as it was under the previous incumbent of the gaffers chair. Wednesday and Röhl face a Herculean task but perhaps for once the Gods are smiling upon us... Maybe the stars have aligned. For there are few young coaches would have been given the opportunity in England to get a club the size of Sheffield Wednesday for their first job, unless that club hadn't been in such a terrible position, both on and off the pitch. Equally, would a struggling yo-yo club like Wednesday, who's troubles behind the scenes are well known and documented across the footballing World been able to entice a promising young manager like Röhl to come if it wasn't his first gig? It is a marriage perhaps forged from circumstance, but if things go right, it might just work and together the future could be very bright. One of the games brightest young coaches trying to realise his undoubted potential at one of England's oldest and finest Clubs whose true potential has never quite been unlocked. It could, due to the fluke of circumstance, end up being a marriage made in heaven. Still, there's a way to go yet. Lets start by getting 3 points against Hull , and then take it from there HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- WEDNESDAY ~V~ HULL CITY Jan 1, 2024 5.15pm Hillsborough Stadium ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ WEDNESDAY Having lost Bambo Diaby to a red card against Coventry City on Boxing Day - the defender will serve the second of a three-game ban this week - Wednesday also saw George Byers dismissed in confusing circumstances during the win over Preston. Byers was reportedly given his marching orders for an off-the-ball incident with Mads Frokjaer-Jensen after referee Rebecca Welch had initially waved play on from a tackle, leaving Röhl bemused, and he now stands to serve a three-game suspension unless Wednesday succeed with an appeal. In more negative news, Akin Famewo and Will Vaulks sustained hamstring injuries in the first half at Deepdale - but Röhl has affirmed that the club will do everything they can to get the former two fit for Monday. -------------------------------------------------------- TIGERS In contrast, Hull came out of their thrilling win over Blackburn with no new injury or suspension concerns, but goalkeeper Ryan Allsop could not contribute due to his back problem and will likely sit out the trip to Sheffield too. Ruben Vinagre (hamstring), Jaden Philogene (knee) and Dogukan Sinik (knee) are also out of contention for the Tigers, who at least had captain Lewie Coyle at their disposal on Friday following an ankle scare for the right-back. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  3. RIP STEVE -------------------------------------------------------------------------- PRESTON NORTH END -V- WEDNESDAY Dec 29, 2023 7.45pm UK Deepdale Emil Riis Jakobsen has spent most of 2023 in the care of the doctors, having been recuperating from an ACL injury since January, but he has finally returned to training after some complications and ought to be back in action at some point in the New Year. In an ideal world, Lowe would surely send out the same XI who got the job done against Leeds, although Ched Evans and Mads Frokjaer-Jensen could provide some fresh legs in the forward areas if need be. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Röhl will be forced into a couple of alterations, as former Preston defender Diaby begins a three-game suspension for his red card on Boxing Day; Michael Ihiekwe should fill the void at the back. Paterson's afternoon was cut short with just 22 minutes on the clock due to a head injury, and having already spent time out with concussion in the past, Röhl has suggested that it may be a couple of weeks before the forward is cleared to feature again. Juan Delgado (hip), Josh Windass (muscle), Mallik Wilks (muscle), Momo Diaby (leg), Dominic Iorfa (leg) and John Buckley (shoulder) are also taking up beds in the treatment room, and Anthony Musaba should be called upon to deputise for Paterson here. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  4. "Good evening Sir. And Merry Christmas to you" "Oh. You're back are you" "Well that was the plan wasn't it. Both go for our separate meals and meet back up again here." "And how was your meal?" "Oh, it was wonderful, Sir. They really do have a marvellous Chef at the Grange. It was probably the finest Christmas day dinner I've ever had" "A bit minty the prices there though" "Well, certainly they aren't cheap. But you get what you pay for don't you Sir. Where was it you went, The Nuns? I wasn't expecting you back before me" "No. The bustop." "Oh. I thought you were having the full Christmas lunch at the Nuns. What's The Bus-stop, a new bistro?" "No! It's a bus-stop!" "But you said The Nuns.. " "I was going to the Nuns, but Mrs Slaughtermyre had a bit of trouble with the Turkeys she'd ordered." "Not enough?" "Oh, there was more than enough. Too much in fact." "I don't follow" "Bought them off McGill at Scarred Bullock Farm" "Oh , McGill" "Indeed, 'Oh, McGill'. The lunatic has been feeding them steroids in an attempt to bulk them up and make more coin selling them by weight" "Oh, I see. Bit tasteless were they?" "Who knows, we never got to eat them! They caused mayhem." "Who did?" "The Turkeys. He dropped them off, live. Said they'd be fresher." "And.." "And that's when the trouble started. The cook in the nuns has tried to ring one of their necks and he realised that McGill must have had them on the steroids longer than he made out" "Thick neck?" "Like Mike Tyson. No chance of wringing it. And mores to the point they rang his." "The Chefs?" "That's what I said isn't it. Anyway, they gave him a right old pasting. Then they came out of the kitchen and started at the bar, knocking back the snakebites like a gang of scaffolders on a Friday dinner, they were. Then they started on Mrs Goggins from the Post Office. Accused her of looking at them funny" "Was she?" "Of course she was. How often do you see Turkeys with sunbed tans, spotty backs and sleeve tattoos getting drunk" "Where are they now?" "Pudding lane nick. Big Harold had to call the brute squad and bring the black Mariah out of retirement." "Couldn't you have eaten there after they left?" "Not really they'd smashed the place up, looked like a Travel Lodge after a group of Scouse lassies have been to Ladies Day. And beside, the Chef was on a drip by then" "So..." "So I went to the Navvies. Thought I'd make the best of it and have a pot of their Irish stew" "Nice?" "There wasn't any. The Chef had phoned in sick. Food poisoning. So that's how I ended up sat at the bus-stop throwing up. I was walking back through the village and I saw Leon Clarks Kebab van parked by the verge ,he's back in town, so i grabbed one of them. Foul. Gristly. I've half a feeling it might have been one of Mr Smetherwicks missing racing pigeons. I'm sure I chomped through a beak. So all in all. Pretty rubbish" "Well Sir. I went to the trouble of getting the Chef at the grange to make you a dinner up. It's warming in the kitchen. Merry Christmas" "Merry Christmas to you too Stubbs. How wonderful! You've saved Christmas!" "I also have a present ,Sir" "Youre a wonder!" "Two tickets for Coventry" "You had to go and bloody ruin it didn't you" ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- COVENTRY CITY V WEDNESDAY Dec 26, 2023 Kick off : 3pm The Coventry Building Society Arena Looking to extend their unbeaten run in the Championship to five matches, top-six chasing Coventry City will host relegation-threatened Sheffield Wednesday at The Coventry Building Society Arena on Boxing Day. The Sky Blues produced a brilliant smash-and-grab display at Sunderland to earn maximum points on Saturday, while a late collapse from the Owls saw them squander a result against Cardiff City. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Wednesday will be hoping to bounce back from a gut wrenching defeat to Cardiff City where the Owls dominated the game but fell to two late goals. A mistake from Owls stopper Cameron Dawson may leave Danny Roehl with a decscion to make with Devis Vasquez ready to step in. Bailey Cadamarteri will continue to lead the line, though with a congested Christmas period ahead it's interesting that out in the cold Lee Gregory was brought back into the Squad against the Bluebirds and perhaps he will play a part in the coming fortnight. -------------------------------------------------------------------------
  5. "Good evening, Sir" "Ah, evening Stubbs." "Wistful mood, Sir?" "It's this whole Roehl thing Stubbs" "I thought you were delighted with him?" "Oh I am, I am. There's the rub." "So what's the issue?" "Well, two fronts. Firstly I can't help but think that had got him from the start instead of the fraud Munoz, then we'd not be in this dire relegation threatened mess." "Quite possibly. But he's here now, and results are pointing to him turning the ship around , it's not too late to be saved." "True" "And the second front?" "Well, he's coming in and giving us hope, he's won over the fanbase, won over the players, brought a great sense of togetherness" "It's that not a good thing?" "It is, but I fear it will also help the owner swerve the bullets which he so richly deserves." "Why?" "Because we're all invested in Roehl, no-one wants to make a scene and risk creating a bad atmosphere. No one wants to be the one that might put the lads off their stride." "To be fair to the owner ,Sir. He is the one who set on Roehl." "Indeed he is. He might have set Roehl on earlier had he been willing to pay for him in the summer. He is also the one that got us relegated to League one. The one who has fans paying through the nose to watch relegation football in a decrepit old stadium, which we no longer own. He's the one who has racked up FFP points. The one who had us owing HMRC, the one who spaffed the best part of £30m on Rhodes and Abdi when contracts are taken into account. It's a miracle we still have a club to support. He needs taking to task, and the fact he's eventually set on a good manager shouldn't let him off the hook." "Well, there is a protest planned for the QPR game ,Sir. Shall I clean your sturdy boots?" "What's the weather forecast for the day?" "Spitting" "We'll not bother then." Wednesday 13th December CHAMPIONSHIP 19:45 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ NORWICH CITY Norwich City will continue to deal with several injuries on Wednesday, as defenders Grant Hanley, Ben Gibson and Jacob Sorensen are out of action while forwards Joshua Sargent and Hwang Ui-jo also remain confined to the treatment room. David Wagner may opt to make several changes from the weekend's stalemate with Preston North End, with Jon Rowe likely to return from the start on the left wing in a 4-2-3-1 shape, having netted a team-high tally of seven Championship goals so far this term, while Adam Idah should again lead the line in the absence of Hwang and Sargent. WEDNESDAY Danny Röhl may opt to deploy an unchanged Sheffield Wednesday starting XI on Wednesday after their 1-0 victory last time out, with key defender Dominic Iorfa set to remain sidelined alongside Momo Diaby and Mallik Wilks. There is competition, though, with Anthony Musaba fighting to earn a start in the attack after netting the decisive goal off the bench against Stoke, and he may take up a wing role in support of 18-year-old forward Bailey Cadamarteri, who will hope to again get the nod to lead the line after netting his first Championship goal in their triumph over Blackburn Rovers. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  6. It feels a bit different somehow. Yes, we're still rooted to the bottom. But there's a different atmosphere. It helps of course that the manager is actually delivering on his promise of front foot football, one of the few that's made the claim and then actually backed it up with the way he's set his teams out. That makes a difference. The fulfilment of a promise. But it takes more than that to win over a crowd. You also need wins. And they have been scarce, only the two over Rotherham and Blackburn to date. So what else? Well, I think it permeates from the fact that it seems clear to all that this isn't just a man that has come in to address the issues of the first eleven. He's building a backroom staff which is taking care of matters behind the scenes. A sports phycologist has been brought in. He's brought Thompson up to provide a link between the youth team and the first team, and to have a 'club insider' for want of a better phrase into the dressing room environment to help him adjust and get and used to the culture of a British dressing room. In fact perhaps that is one of the engaging things about him. That he's someone not afraid to ask for help. To look at things and think to himself "how can I help myself, to help these players". It's a level of altruism and modesty not often associated with football managers, where the words ego and arrogance are more readily associated. And as a people, if i may generalise, 'showing off' is a very un-sheffield like trait. So perhaps there is also an element of that. A respect for someone who has come in and quietly and efficiently gone about his business. Yes, the football has been better. There's clear signs that he's trying to build and put an infrastructure together behind the scenes which points to long term planning and longevity , which all fans have hungered for for many a year. A stability. He's brought a young player in from the youth side and given him and opportunity and platform to show what he can do, and in doing so also shown the other youth players that there is a clear pathway to the first team. Something which perhaps hasn't always been the case, as we have seen the best of our young talent leave for pastures new in recent years. Whatever the reasons, and I suspect it's a little bit of all of them, there's a positivity about the club which in turn is building up a positivity amongst the support, and when that happens it creates the best environment for the players to be able to go out and perform. At the moment, things are looking far brighter, positive and perhaps most importantly it has brought once more that vital feeling of togetherness. That we're all in this together. The balloon is being filled with positivity and before long, it'll be take-off- "Good evening, Sir" "Stubbs?" "Early bird ticket prices for next year are about to drop, Sir" "FFS!" ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- STOKE CITY V WEDNESDAY Stoke aren't on the best run of form, though their top scorer André Vidigal is the player to watch drifting in off the flank. The Potters also have the perpetually annoying Ben Pearson in the middle of the park. A typical Alex Neil player. Niggly, and raking. LAST STARTING LINE-UP ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Wednesday boss Danny Röhl will have one change forced on him, versatile defender Dominic Iorfa limped from the action against Blackburn with a hamstring injury, Liam Palmer my deputise. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  7. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- WEDNESDAY V BLACKBURN ----------------------------- CHAMPIONSHIP KICK OFF: 3:00PM HILLSBOROUGH ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- OWLS Attacker Josh Windass will return to contention in attack after serving a suspension last time out, and even with Michael Smith, Mallik Wilks and Lee Gregory expected to remain out of action, there is still competition in attack with Windass, Fletcher, Musaba and Gassama all fighting to come in after youngster Bailey Cadamarteri was handed a first Championship start last time out. LAST TIME OUT ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ROVERS Blackburn are also unlikely to make many changes from midweek, and Jon Dahl Tomasson continues to deal with an unenviable injury list, as goalkeeper Aynsley Pears remains confined to the treatment room alongside Scott Wharton, Joe Rankin-Costello, Ryan Hedges and Sam Gallagher. In the absence of Hyam and Wharton, James Hill and Hayden Carter will continue to partner up at the heart of the back four, while midfielder Lewis Travis should again deputise at right back with Sondre Tronstad and Adam Wharton lining up in the engine room. LAST TIME OUT ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  8. Would have been a better striker for us than Jeffers..
  9. I'm only surprised no one has pinned it on Palmer yet
  10. Going to be an interesting night for you totting these up @Emerson Thome. So far George Byers has a 1 out of 10 rating and a man of the match nomination. And that's just one player
  11. " "And why is it that we have to stay out here, Sir?" " We need to mix up the routine. We've become trapped in a ravine of mischance" "Well there were certainly a couple of missed chances against Bristol, the Musaba header for one" "Mischance, not missed chance; it's bad luck I'm on about! It's all we've had. We haven't had a bit of the good stuff all season. An overturned penalty at Watford, a rescinded red card against Bristol. We have to change the pattern. Mix up the drill." "But I'm not sure that's anything we can do anything about. I'm not sure how not sleeping in the comfort of my own bed is going to help, Sir. Not that I'm sure I'll be able to get off to sleep, sleeping on the floor." "Don't worry on that score Stubbs. You won't be sleeping! I've charged the night goggles for you and adjusted the settings for the ultraviolet pick up." "What do I need night goggles for?" "Four leafed clovers of course. You need to find us some. Harder to spot in the day of course as they blend in with the grass. But at night they're more easily seen as they give off a lambent blue glow once the old sun has dropped behind the horizon " "Ultraviolet four leaf clovers..." "Quite so. It's on account of the magic you see." "Sir..." "Don't argue Stubbs. We must have resolve! I'll stay here and keep an eye on base." "Hmmm" "Stubbs, I say Stubbs, where are you going?" "I'm going to find some four leaf clovers; apparently" "Don't forget your bowie knife" "What do I need a knife for?" "Well by the time you've done a full recce of the Wood and made it to the far side , which will take about 6 hours, it'll be coming light as you reach the far meadow." "And?" "And I need a rabbits foot. Lucky aren't they. And I expect fresh ones are luckier-" "Not for the rabbit.." "-best time of day to catch them as the sun rises over old Albion and the mist steams from the Green and pleasant" "Excuse me for saying so ,Sir. But might I ask why you're here. It seems I'm the one doing all the searching and seeking. You may as well be in the house" "Wouldn't dream of it Stubbs. Wouldn't dream of it. Team effort this. The Wednesday need us. Don't ever let it be said I shy away from the late nights and hard yards" "Indeed, Sir" "Throw me another blanket and pop another log on the fire would you, I'm perishing in here." "It's getting colder out there." "This is where we need the resolve Stubbs, mental strength. When you feel the cold coming through your boots, biting at the toes and the very air pinches your nose and cheeks and stings the eyes.... when your very breath catches in your lungs like they're being squeezed by the frosty hands of death...when you feel the cold damp of the Earth seep into your spine like it's rooting you to itself and taking you down into a frigid grave, you must remember - We're doing this for Danny Rohl" " 'WE' are doing this for Danny Rohl'?!" "Exactly! Oooh, pour me anoher cuppa before you go would you. I've got to a good bit of my book" ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- WEDNESDAY V MILLWALL KICK OFF : 15:00 HILLSBOROUGH ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Barry Bannan should again join George Byers in the engine room after his red card against Bristol was overturned. Michael Smith will again hope to lead the line despite competition from the likes of Ashley Fletcher and Lee Gregory. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- New Millwall manager, Joe Edwards will be unable to call on goalkeeper Matija Sarkic, defender Joe Bryan and attacker Duncan Watmore, as the trio remain confined to the treatment room, with Bartosz Bialkowski continuing to deputise between the sticks in the absence of the former. Several changes are anticipated from the meeting with Southampton last time out, with Kevin Nisbet fighting to come back in up front from the start, while Ryan Longman is also hoping for a spot on the wing, having both settled for substitute appearances last weekend.