Team spirit/chemistry

We had bags of it first season, everyone believed we would win. That first leg against Brighton in the playoffs was dazzling; there wasn't a soul in the stadium who doubted we would win that match

So what's changed? Why is there no team chemistry? We seem to be a team of individuals at the moment 

Is it possible to build up chemistry with constant rotation? 

Could it be what were lacking?

I'm wondering about what's changed in the last few months in particular. We've lost that swagger and confidence we had not too long ago. Last night I was looking up the number of shots we've managed to get on target in league and play-off games (I ignored the cup games as we've been treating them as little more than reserve outings, as have our opponents). In the last 9 such outings we have limped to just 19 strikes between the posts.

Going with that grouping of 9 games at a time and counting back to the play-offs against Brighton at the end of the season before last, the statistics for shots on target in those previous spells has been 40, 41, 34, 36 and 44. So recently we're less than 50% as effective as we'd been consistently for more than twelve months before that. 

Sure fire way to destroy team spirit is to sign lots of players without actually improving the squad. Another way is to rotate players in and out of the starting eleven depending on the alignment of the stars or what you read in tea leaves. I can't think of another reason why our team selection is so baffling at times. 

Edited by i used to be sc_owl

I believe our team spirit remains strong, you don't achieve our league finishes without it. We are however weighed down by expectation and to some degree negative sentiment, albeit self inflicted to some degree. With a team that was capable of a top 6 finish we've achieved exactly that two seasons running but you read some comments in here and it's like that never happened.

Is everything in the garden rosey, no its not, but we've transitioned from no expectation, to in some cases wild expectation and clearly some handle it better than others, players and fans alike.

This is is a highly competitive league, arguably the toughest in the world. Having achieved two seasons of realistic growth we are now confronted with our toughest challenge, I'd argue that given the transfer activity of other clubs around us we are currently a top 10 side, that could change this week but equally it may not.

Can the club do better, absolutely, can CC and the players do better, undoubtably and we as fans can do our bit to help on all fronts too, have your view, put forward your thoughts and arguments but be constructive not destructive.

We all have a line in the sand, for me it's not been crossed yet, our slow start and transfer activity is currently only mirroring what we've seen in the last two seasons, frustrating though it is. If our situation is outside of our two season historical average after 10-12 games then something may happen, equally it may not. The relationship between CC and DC is complex, it will require a change of direction from DC in relation to transfers to attract some of the managerial candidates put forward on here, I doubt many coaches would be happy to operate under the same constraints CC currently does.

No doubt we could have done better over the past two seasons, equally we could have done worse, I'm honest with myself though and I'd have snatched anyone's hand of for two playoff seasons and this squad. Hopefully what ever happens we push on and keep progressing, that's all that matters. There is not a team in this league that can expect a top two finish, we'd do well to keep that in sight however badly we may want it.

4 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

I'm wondering about what's changed in the last few months in particular. We've lost that swagger and confidence we had not too long ago. Last night I was looking up the number of shots we've managed to get on target in league and play-off games (I ignored the cup games as we've been treating them as little more than reserve outings, as have our opponents). In the last 9 such outings we have limped to just 19 strikes between the posts.

Going with that grouping of 9 games at a time and counting back to the play-offs against Brighton at the end of the season before last, the statistics for shots on target in those previous spells has been 40, 41, 34, 36 and 44. So recently we're less than 50% as effective as we'd been consistently for more than twelve months before that. 

Might be me being dim here.

Is the 40 the nine matches immediately preceding the most recent 9? 

In which case I assume it is the nine games ending in the 2-1 win at QPR?

4 hours ago, Owl999 said:

The Bannan / Fletcher love affair is alive and well so all is good, the fact the rest seem not to get on is irrelevant.

Idiot.....Remind me how many games Fletcher has started.....and Bannon has been by far the standout light of the season so far so he ought to be bloody playing every minute

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Ian said:

Idiot.....Remind me how many games Fletcher has started.....and Bannon has been by far the standout light of the season so far so he ought to be bloody playing every minute

simpleton... he's saying they're friends. :tango:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Morepork said:

I believe our team spirit remains strong, you don't achieve our league finishes without it. We are however weighed down by expectation and to some degree negative sentiment, albeit self inflicted to some degree. With a team that was capable of a top 6 finish we've achieved exactly that two seasons running but you read some comments in here and it's like that never happened.

Is everything in the garden rosey, no its not, but we've transitioned from no expectation, to in some cases wild expectation and clearly some handle it better than others, players and fans alike.

This is is a highly competitive league, arguably the toughest in the world. Having achieved two seasons of realistic growth we are now confronted with our toughest challenge, I'd argue that given the transfer activity of other clubs around us we are currently a top 10 side, that could change this week but equally it may not.

Can the club do better, absolutely, can CC and the players do better, undoubtably and we as fans can do our bit to help on all fronts too, have your view, put forward your thoughts and arguments but be constructive not destructive.

We all have a line in the sand, for me it's not been crossed yet, our slow start and transfer activity is currently only mirroring what we've seen in the last two seasons, frustrating though it is. If our situation is outside of our two season historical average after 10-12 games then something may happen, equally it may not. The relationship between CC and DC is complex, it will require a change of direction from DC in relation to transfers to attract some of the managerial candidates put forward on here, I doubt many coaches would be happy to operate under the same constraints CC currently does.

No doubt we could have done better over the past two seasons, equally we could have done worse, I'm honest with myself though and I'd have snatched anyone's hand of for two playoff seasons and this squad. Hopefully what ever happens we push on and keep progressing, that's all that matters. There is not a team in this league that can expect a top two finish, we'd do well to keep that in sight however badly we may want it.

To play  Huddersfield and Reading to reach the prem is arguably the toughest ask in world football.

Wild expectations indeed 

8 hours ago, MOwl said:

We had bags of it first season, everyone believed we would win. That first leg against Brighton in the playoffs was dazzling; there wasn't a soul in the stadium who doubted we would win that match

So what's changed? Why is there no team chemistry? We seem to be a team of individuals at the moment 

Nothing has changed, we still have bags of it. How can you not with characters like Big Dave in the dressing room

10 hours ago, MOwl said:

This nonsense comes out every time we lose, then as soon as we win it's the opposite 

Under SG we had no big money signings, it was kind of a small collection of rejects.small squad, fewer ego's to manage, probably a more structured wage budget as we were skint. People re-forging careers. Some of the do or die defensive displays everyone pulling together. Yet dire and dreary to watch. 

Then Carlos comes in the defensive doesn't need too much upheaval, team spirit and togetherness is good,so Carlos adds an attacking intent and we get a few good bodies in, who incidentally like the grey signings such as Hooper are also not needed /wanted and surplus to requirements and a point to prove, they come in the feelgood atmosphere the fans are rocking the players are enjoying playing and everyone believes season 1. 

Season 2, back to the laborious dreary 90mins drudge,, no swashbuckling exiting enjoyable football for either players or fans. Add some, big money signings on higher wages, signings that never get a game, rotation over depth in certain positions, maybe their best buddy in the team frozen out, all factors that could dent togetherness and team spirit. I remember back in the successful years we never really had a big squad or much tinkering with the first 11. Just my take on it.