Jones - the enigma

He had a poor first half on Wednesday, in whatever formation that was.

Second half he played well, capped of course by that goal. It wasnt his only shot, and its good to see our CMs getting forward and looking for a goal.

Hope we see Jones and Bannan together until Lee is fit, then hopefully results will give Carlos a massive headache.

He played very well yesterday but I'm still not convinced. However, there's no arguing Bannon is playing incredibly well at the moment and is getting further up the pitch where he has more impact. That alone makes you wonder if it's to do with a Jones. Jones also played a few games towards the end of last season when we went on a decent run and whilst we were unconvincing at times, there were also some points where we looked decent

10 minutes ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

He played very well yesterday but I'm still not convinced. However, there's no arguing Bannon is playing incredibly well at the moment and is getting further up the pitch where he has more impact. That alone makes you wonder if it's to do with a Jones. Jones also played a few games towards the end of last season when we went on a decent run and whilst we were unconvincing at times, there were also some points where we looked decent

Five wins and two draws since Bannan and Jones started together.

Looks better because the team appears to be more balanced in the last two games. I still think we could do better in a straight swap in his position, which is slightly deeper than Bannan/Abdi role. We only have Hutch in the squad for this role, and I think most have now given up on this being sustainable. Therefore, a better player as first choice with Jones as back-up would be my wish for the season.

1 hour ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

Jones looks awkward in possession, usually playing the safe sideways or backward pass.

What he does though is to play the holding midfield position that important few metres higher up the pitch.

Hutchinson by comparison tends to drop deeper almost into defence making Bannan isolated unless he also drops deep to obtain the ball. 

Don't think its coincidence that Bannan looks a better player with Jones in the team.

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

He had a poor first half on Wednesday, in whatever formation that was.

Second half he played well, capped of course by that goal. It wasnt his only shot, and its good to see our CMs getting forward and looking for a goal.

Hope we see Jones and Bannan together until Lee is fit, then hopefully results will give Carlos a massive headache.

Had you been on the bong at HT...he was dreadful throughout!! Just about rescued his performance with his goal. 

50 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Wigan away

Villa away

Reading home

Burton home

Preston away

Probably our 5 worst performances of 2017.

All with Bannan/Jones as our midfield pairing.

More recently.....

Barnsley away

Rotherham away

Newcastle home

Cardiff home

QPR away

QPR home

Sunderland home

Fulham away

That's five wins, three draws, in their last eight games together. Whatever might not have been working previously, it plainly is now. 

He's very steady and usually doesn't make many mistakes. 

He had a spell Wednesday where he gave ball away a few times, but he didnt hide away after the mistakes and still looked to get on the ball and move things. 

The goal is exactly what he needed as some fans got on his back after giving the ball away with the poor passing. 

He isn't as fast as hutch and he doesn't run round like a head less chicken with a fire cracker up his back side, He also won't fly into tackles in areas that he doesn't need to, but people will think Hutchinson is more effective because he appears more committed. 

To be honest, and it's probably proven by yesterday, but Hutchinson and ff not being in the side actually gives us better balance and makes us a better team. Jones has been a major part of that. 

11 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Had you been on the bong at HT...he was dreadful throughout!! Just about rescued his performance with his goal. 

Bottle of water and a cheese sandwich.

And I still disagree. He and Bannan did an excellent job second half.

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Bottle of water and a cheese sandwich.

And I still disagree. He and Bannan did an excellent job second half.

Bannan yes...he was the instigator behind our sudden improvement in the second half.

jones couldn't even pass 10 yards, then smashed it in the top corner...then went back to been dreadful.