Considerations if moving away from Hillsborough

15 hours ago, OasisOwl72 said:

I'm not ITK but a very reliable contact told me DC is seriously considering moving from Hillsborough. Apparently architects have been asked to look at feasibility at sights at Oughtibridge and Westfield. I'm no financial expert either but I was told the cost can be covered in 25/50 year loan that would more than pay for itself over time especially if we got in Prem. 

SAG are a double edged sword to DC. A massive annoyance on one hand but part of justification in moving if it came to that. 

Ultimately I, like I'm sure we all do, want us to play at a modern, atmospheric ground that is a pleasure to visit and can utilise our support not suppress it. Sadly capacity wise for big games Hillsborough/SAG/SYP do the latter at the moment. Which ever meets all the positive criteria whether it be Hillsborough or a new ground that's all that counts for me.  

Dont think it will be Westfield.  Already a big football hub being created.  doubt it could cater for a massive stadium.  Would be nice tho..  just across the road from me.

http://www.sheffieldfa.com/shcfa-docs/westfield

http://www.sheffieldfa.com/~/media/countysites/shfa/documents/westfield/westfield_brochure.ashx

Edited by Doctor Duran

5 hours ago, mike84 said:

The problem with buying hillsborough park from the council is they don't actually own it.

There is no chance that the park will ever be used for a new stadium.

I use to think that but I appears that things may have changed as you can see in the picture from the star that they are selling parts of the park image.jpg.90569abb6f280db7ee9db314d82d9b8a.jpg

20 hours ago, ka58 said:

We don't need to move ground - at all.

It's totally unnecessary.

I can't think of any valid reason for it.

Well I would agree except that it's clearly haunted by the restless spirits of all the people who have died there horribly over the years and it was built on the site of an ancient Roman cemetery for followers of the Cult of Mithras (NOW you know why we have such a bad record against Hereford) and that's not good.

47 minutes ago, PARKOWL said:

I use to think that but I appears that things may have changed as you can see in the picture from the star that they are selling parts of the park image.jpg.90569abb6f280db7ee9db314d82d9b8a.jpg

That's the Tennis courts I think?

Answers on a postcard to where shall we build the new Aldi/ lidl at Hillsborough 

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST
Saw that come up few month ago that's why I originally thought we could go for Stadium in the park

4 hours ago, OasisOwl72 said:

Really? You nice and safe behind that keyboard?

As for Oughtibridge I'm only passing on what I've been told. Take it or leave it, makes no difference to me but apparently there is land there for development.

Can't see it myself, the only available development site in Oughtibridge is the old British Tissues site which is being developed for housing. 

23 hours ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Only way in that case would be buy Hillsborough park from the council they flog anything these days that's assuming the council still own it and not already flogged it to hedge fund Inc.

Sell off the stadium when it's all finished up and running still in Hillsborough (kids don't play in parks anymore there are no X Boxes there)

Minimum of fuss the cost of that ?

I will hand you now over to Our club financial expert "Steveger"

I do believe that Hillsborough Park cannot be sold. I'm sure it was a gift from a Victorian industrialist and, as such, is protected from sale and certain development. 

5 hours ago, TrueOwl said:

Hillsborough is our coliseum. The horse may have bolted on this one but imo any football stadium over 100 years old needs some kind of public listing conservation order to stop new owners from destroying essentially (Victorian) historical buildings without some serious justification.

That would make renovation more difficult unfortunately but it's either that or have historic landmarks part of our local and national culture be demolished just because the alternative is cheaper. The longer you leave it, the cheaper the alternative.

Our stadium (like most others) is basically Trigger's broom.

Exactly how much of our ground is over 100 years old?

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

3 hours ago, PARKOWL said:

The Park is "owned" by hillsborough park charity.  the council is one of the trustees.

They are leasing the tennis courts to a 3rd party community organisation to run and maintain.

It's not been sold.

26 minutes ago, shandypants said:

I do believe that Hillsborough Park cannot be sold. I'm sure it was a gift from a Victorian industrialist and, as such, is protected from sale and certain development. 

Well Sheffield Council easily found their way around similar covenants with numerous libraries.

22 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

I hope you're in the 10 to 12 age range and come from a family with a history of living for a very long time.lol

You and those like you are the problem, pessimists.  We were a whisker away if we hadn't let big Ron slip away the first time and then sacked him in spite the 2nd time.  As in "Field of dreams".  If you build it they will come.

20 minutes ago, hypnosisman said:

You and those like you are the problem, pessimists.  We were a whisker away if we hadn't let big Ron slip away the first time and then sacked him in spite the 2nd time.  As in "Field of dreams".  If you build it they will come.

I am the promble..It's true.

Having spoken with an ex employee of SWFC, i can confirm that the land across from the ground (Wednesdayite car park, Charlie Browns) was seriously taken into consideration, they even had an architect draw up the very detailed plans, but Chansiri was not happy with them and that was that!!!

Make of  this what you will, but I was told he wants out of Hillsborough and to build a new ground, this would be his legacy.

12 minutes ago, ozziowl74 said:

Having spoken with an ex employee of SWFC, i can confirm that the land across from the ground (Wednesdayite car park, Charlie Browns) was seriously taken into consideration, they even had an architect draw up the very detailed plans, but Chansiri was not happy with them and that was that!!!

Make of  this what you will, but I was told he wants out of Hillsborough and to build a new ground, this would be his legacy.

I don't have heart burn about moving. I recognize the need.

But I also recognize that success on the pitch (promotion, European football, trophies etc) would be a much better legacy.

1 hour ago, shandypants said:

That's correct Neverthe

lodgelodgemoorowl mentioned this in earlier post go back and read it because there may be a loophole (for want of a better word )

It's not like the club would be moving miles out of town next to M1 or suchlike 

Theyd only be "jumping across the Don"

After all its the Don that's mainly the problem and Vere Road (sorry if anyone lives on Vere Road)

2 hours ago, Neal M said:

Our stadium (like most others) is basically Trigger's broom.

Exactly how much of our ground is over 100 years old?

Even UNESCO sites have renovated parts and materials less than 100 years old. In a country where Public Toilets and Cinemas have been granted listed status, the lack of protection for football grounds is absurd.

16 minutes ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

Completely agree, absolutely no need to move. Reckon it's the non Sheffielders that want to move

NOT this one Dora Webster was mums "local" that's how close I was 

Its not just about the Stadium it's what's on offer around it and getting to it and leaving it what do you mean non Sheffielders anyway ? We aren't in the Man utd Cockney accent league last time I looked,

Or do you mean for eg outskirts wanting short journey 

I reckon Park would be a piece of green liquid if done correctly that's not really a move or is it?

16 minutes ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST

17 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

NOT this one Dora Webster was mums "local" that's how close I was 

Its not just about the Stadium it's what's on offer around it and getting to it and leaving it what do you mean non Sheffielders anyway ? We aren't in the Man utd Cockney accent league last time I looked,

Or do you mean for eg outskirts wanting short journey 

I reckon Park would be a piece of green liquid if done correctly that's not really a move or is it?

I don't get this either? It's @ 3hrs of a day, why do we need endless food outlets? No wonder the country has high obesity levels.

I agree with you on parking, but a bowl elsewhere will have parking restrictions anyway and the parking that would be available will cost an arm and a leg