Considerations if moving away from Hillsborough

I see a lot of support on here recently for moving away from Hillsborough, especially due to increasing police restrictions on capacity/seating.

Whilst these are valid reasons and it is frustrating not being able to fill the place, Sheffield Wednesday, even with Premier League money, simply can't afford to build a new stadium. We don't have hundreds of millions and DC doesn't either, really. 

Best case scenario we lose Hillsborough and our new home becomes the "Chansiri Stadium". More likely, we end up with something akin to the Bet365 Stadium or something equally horrid.

Edited by Jarvy

10 minutes ago, Jarvy said:

I see a lot of support on here recently for moving away from Hillsborough, especially due to increasing police restrictions on capacity/seating.

Whilst these are valid reasons and it is frustrating not being able to fill the place, Sheffield Wednesday, even with Premier League money, simply can't afford to build a new stadium. We don't have hundreds of millions and DC doesn't either, really. 

Best case scenario we lose Hillsborough and our new home becomes the "Chansiri Stadium". More likely, we end up with something akin to the Bet365 Stadium or something equally horrid.

How do you know how much DC has?

Moving to a new stadium very much relies on the value of the land of the old stadium; in our case, not a lot.

That said, why do new stadia have to by boring and soulless? With the will, and a bit of ingenuity, a new stadium would be functional and atmospheric without costing significantly more than your so-called soulless bowls.

10 minutes ago, Jarvy said:

We're averaging 27 thousand.

A sell out is being called at 32 ish.

Where's the future in that?

11 minutes ago, trev said:

A move is the right thing to do eventually.

Or a major major rebuild. Basically think Spurs but smaller. 

Only way in that case would be buy Hillsborough park from the council they flog anything these days that's assuming the council still own it and not already flogged it to hedge fund Inc.

Sell off the stadium when it's all finished up and running still in Hillsborough (kids don't play in parks anymore there are no X Boxes there)

Minimum of fuss the cost of that ?

I will hand you now over to Our club financial expert "Steveger"

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST

We don't need to move ground - at all.

It's totally unnecessary.

I can't think of any valid reason for it.

If we move it should be a development with two stadia and a training ground. It should also have shops, restaurants, bowling alley, indoor stadium for basketball, tennis badminton and maybe a bowls arena. That way it becomes a destination almost every day of the week.

The second smaller stadium is for the under 23s, SWFC ladies and maybe to entice Sheffield club back into Sheffield from Dronfield.

If you're going to do it do it right and maximise the utility so that the revenue stream is constant and not an idle investment. Make sure that transport infrastructure is catered for. Trams Train Bussees Cars Helicopters etc.

5 minutes ago, mark1948 said:

If we move it should be a development with two stadia and a training ground. It should also have shops, restaurants, bowling alley, indoor stadium for basketball, tennis badminton and maybe a bowls arena. That way it becomes a destination almost every day of the week.

The second smaller stadium is for the under 23s, SWFC ladies and maybe to entice Sheffield club back into Sheffield from Dronfield.

If you're going to do it do it right and maximise the utility so that the revenue stream is constant and not an idle investment. Make sure that transport infrastructure is catered for. Trams Train Bussees Cars Helicopters etc.

Looks like a compulsory purchase of the whole of Hillsborough then ...

I don't live near the ground and a new gound in a way would possibly benefit me if the gound was closer looking at this situation realistically why we spent nearly 6 to 7 mill on ground improvements just to move .....

do not think that will be feasible....

Edited by TheEnd1976

2 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Only way in that case would be buy Hillsborough park from the council they flog anything these days that's assuming the council still own it and not already flogged it to hedge fund Inc.

Sell off the stadium when it's all finished up and running still in Hillsborough (kids don't play in parks anymore there are no X Boxes there)

Minimum of fuss the cost of that ?

I will hand you now over to Our club financial expert "Steveager"

MR Dixon donated that land for the enjoyment of the People of Sheffield. We Wednesdayites are the people of Sheffield. No one enjoys that area of land stretching from the Park to Leppings Lane more than us. If the Council won't listen fair do's they are not an immoveable object, quite the opposite in fact.

7 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

MR Dixon donated that land for the enjoyment of the People of Sheffield. We Wednesdayites are the people of Sheffield. No one enjoys that area of land stretching from the Park to Leppings Lane more than us. If the Council won't listen fair do's they are not an immoveable object, quite the opposite in fact.

Quite a bit of room up Lodge moor in't there?

And a Helipad at the Hospital for Mark1948's Stadium plan is it still there Nev?

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST

Rebuild one stand at a time. If Newcastle, Liverpool and Man Utd can expand and modernize their stadiums with the times while retaining the same character the way they have I see no reason why we couldn't do the same after a couple of years in the top flight. They've done it the right way.

It's excusable moving if you either have a crap stadium with little history or are trying to compete in the Champions League but bulldozing the likes of Upton Park and now Goodison and possibly Hillsborough is bloody sacrilege and it needs to stop.

50 minutes ago, Jarvy said:

If Brighton who were surviving on gates of 5-6k can do it, why can't we?  Brighton's owner had the cash (and recouped a lot with the naming rights), who knows if Chansiri can do the same but it's not beyond the realms of possibility. Plus we actually own Hillsborough so could sell that land, unlike Brighton who were squatting in a rickety athletics place (I can't call it a stadium!).

I'd much rather go down the revamp route than move away though, using the WC 2018 plans. Would be far cheaper than building a new ground, and it can be done a stand at a time and built so that it meets SAG requirements.