Is anyone being put OFF football..

12 minutes ago, canadianowl said:

The EFL should negotiate a TV deal with BBC. Clubs would probably get more out of it, and increase accessibility ten fold. The huge downfall with all these mega TV deals is most people can't afford the subscriptions and if they are truly desperate they'll steal a free stream online (which is what I do regardless). Everybody in the UK has rightful access to BBC programming so no EFL fan can be blacklisted from watching their team. Free exposure can only help grow the league (and maybe we can get free program sharing through CBC over here!)

The BBC are obsessed with women's cricket and anything with para in front of the sport.

Absolutely no chance they would get themselves in a bidding war for something as marginal as football.

32 minutes ago, canadianowl said:

Honest to god.

At my game last night the guys were talking about all the news transfers, big teams etc and I zero input. I just realized I had watched NO premier league/champions league games at all last year. The only games I'd watch were Wednesday games that featured on Sky, or the other Championship game that was featured if we weren't on. Wtf.

I have no interest in any other teams either

The Premier League is full of foreign players, foreign managers, foreign chairman and foreign money. And watched by far more foreigners than here. It's English in name only, and we've sold our national game to the rest of the world. And people wonder why we can't beat Iceland. Reason is, the rest of the world aren't bothered whether we beat Iceland or not. 

The only remaining English bit is the referees. 

There is no denying that money is ruining football.  

Man City have now spent over 200 million this summer.  Absolute farce it is becoming.  

I for one will enjoy watching them and the other big spenders 'hopefully' fail in the new season.  Just so it can show us that spending a load of money is no guarantee of success.  

We need to go up but it will be virtually impossible to ever compete for top 4.

The days we enjoyed under Atkinson are gone.

So that does pea me off more than a little.

It is a bit disheartening really.

Got to say I'm not as passionate about the game as I was. Surely something has to change or it's just going to get boring and ridiculous.

When you can spend 150 million on one player that can't be right.

Half the teams in championship would be saying the same about us after watching us pay in excess of 10m for Jordan Rhodes, 5m for Adam reach etc

One of those teams would have been Huddersfield. Look where they are and look where we are.

Yes you need the big bucks if you want to get in the champions league on a consistent basis but ultimately you need top management like Bournemouth, stoke, Watford, Southampton to compete in the top flight in terms of staying there.

Edited by Left-footed Filth

44 minutes ago, vulva said:

The Premier League is full of foreign players, foreign managers, foreign chairman and foreign money. And watched by far more foreigners than here. It's English in name only, and we've sold our national game to the rest of the world. And people wonder why we can't beat Iceland. Reason is, the rest of the world aren't bothered whether we beat Iceland or not. 

Now THAT'S depressing given the quality in that area

Falling out of love with English football. 

My solution was to follow an Italian team - wages are high but still probably less than the championship! Fans are real, pyros  and smoke bombs are allowed , fans stand up and sing all game. 

That's where its at. 

It may (or may not, knowing his love of being controversial in his views) surprise Owlstalkers (Owls talkers, not Owl stalkers) to know that the legendary WolfmanJack proclaimed many times to me, his nephew, that he would stop going to watch his beloved Wednesday if they ever got back to the Premier League because of the "inhumane" and "disgusting" amounts of money swilling around the Premier League, and "TV Schedule Rule" at the expense of football's most overlooked and forgotten breed - The common, faithful, working-class supporter. I agreed with him on this, though I doubt for a single moment that he would ever have had it in him to not darken Hillsbrough's door again upon his Wednesday idols reaching the promised land (again) ...

19 hours ago, vulva said:

when the premier league kicked off, I believe there were 13 non uk players who played on the opening day of the season, I would guess that every premier league side now has that many in their squad alone.

my problem with football kicked off mainly with the Bosman ruling, it was the start of players having power over clubs and greedy agents getting involved in the game and taking too much money out. I remember reading an article, I think it was Mel Sterland who took his dad down to the office to sign his first contract, Jack Charlton shoved a contract in front of him, said sign it and get back to training and that was it, no long negotiations, no messing about.

As much as I have fallen out of love with football, I would be lost without following Wednesday. Even though I don't go any more due to my own personal circumstances, I still watch on TV at every opportunity, listen on the radio and get my fix on here or other websites about Wednesday everyday. Premier league and international football bores the hell out of me, I rarely watch it anymore (don't mind watching Tottenham tho'). I would struggle to tell you who half of the players are nowadays in the PL, then you find out they cost £40 million and are being paid 80,000k per week, it beggars belief.

I think it's a bit of a red herring. You don't need a £45m fullback to compete in the premier league.

West Ham have Cresswell and Byram for 4m each, but just got Zabaleta for free.

Everton.. Baines and Coleman 7m.
Bournemouth.. Smith and Daniels.. 200k

West Brom.. Nyom and Brunt.. 7mil all told.

Why Man City pay what they do for fairly average english talent is a bit of a mystery.

Stones, Walker and Sterling for upwards of £140m.

Part of it is the Champions League 'home grown' requirement, that 8 players of the 5 squad must be from the country the team is from.

Part of it's probably marketing, current England internationals net you better sponsorship deals as a club.

But to me the premium that has to be paid for english players just isnt worth it.

You're better off saying "'ok i'll have a 'first team squad' of 17 players who are top class, cheap foreigners and 8 who are young english kids with a bit of potential, preferably from the youth setup. if you can find a tom lees or someone who is older, cheap and can do a job then great, but especially for those teams not in europe, there's no reason to be wasting money on english players. sad, but it's the reality.

On 26/07/2017 at 12:08, mike312 said:

It'll come crashing down one day once the tv money comes down.

People have been saying this for years, but I don't think it will

The big clubs will go from strength to strength whilst many of the lower division clubs will go to the wall trying to get into the top flight 

23 hours ago, Eaton_Swfc said:

Falling out of love with English football. 

My solution was to follow an Italian team - wages are high but still probably less than the championship! Fans are real, pyros  and smoke bombs are allowed , fans stand up and sing all game. 

That's where its at. 

Probably cheeper to go over and watch the Italian league than pay out for EPL football. Week after week.

On 26/07/2017 at 08:43, abdiwonderland said:

Because of the ridiculous money involved?

Part of me wants us to stay in the Championship because when full backs cost £50m, we would never be able to compete! 

Its becoming sickeningly vile. 

Football is eating itself . Its no longer the game we all fell in love with as kids. Its become a play thing for rich businessmen . The working man , football`s core fan , is slowly being priced out of the game at the top levels ,and that sickens me . 

Ive said it before ,that the best thing that could happen is the whole deal with SKY and BT goes t1ts up and the bubble bursts . Only then will we get back the game we fell in love with. 

I hate what has happened to the game. 

4 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Football is eating itself . Its no longer the game we all fell in love with as kids. Its become a play thing for rich businessmen . The working man , football`s core fan , is slowly being priced out of the game at the top levels ,and that sickens me . 

Ive said it before ,that the best thing that could happen is the whole deal with SKY and BT goes t1ts up and the bubble bursts . Only then will we get back the game we fell in love with. 

I hate what has happened to the game. 

I can't remember the game...it was at our place.

There was a quick ball from Westwood that turned defence into attack.

I remember Hooper taking it on and suddenly there was 9 or 10 blues charging towards their goal.

We scored...It was exhilarating and reminded me why I go.

Another one was FF at forest and going in our end....keep the faith mate.