Over priced average players

13 hours ago, 1867Heaven said:

I agree with you, just if there only a few mill in the pot then maybe that's what it is, personally I'd sell someone, if the rumours were true about Bannan and we kept him with our current midfield options and missed out on a centre back to keep in ffp then that's madness and I like Bannan but I'd sell someone to finance a centre back, surely we could get a few extra mill offloading Jaoa and Big dave if not Bannan? We need a centre back, that's clear

Great post. 

Look at the numbers we have in our squad. Not that there bad players but if you say got rid of Bannan, Fletcher and Winnall (not saying it's that easy to get rid) then the money and wages generated there can allow us to pay over the odds for a CH.

We have Lee/Abdi and Hutch/Jones to cover cm.

We have Rhodes Forestieri Hooper Joao and Big Dave to do his holding Job, plus if Hirst has a successful 6 month loan in League one he comes into the fold in January so the strikers are covered. 

And we have 3 good centre half's in Lees Loovens and the New one with additional cover coming in Hutch Pudil Thornley and O'Grady if required.

Makes the squad much more even.

14 hours ago, marcx666 said:

I'm not even saying get a prem young lad in on loan, unless its to be first choice with an option to buy. I'm saying just get one top class one, for the 5-6-7 mill to be the long term partner to Lees, and have Loovrens 3rd choice, and Hutch/O'Grady/Thornily as 4th choice

This

16 hours ago, 1867Heaven said:

I agree with you, just if there only a few mill in the pot then maybe that's what it is, personally I'd sell someone, if the rumours were true about Bannan and we kept him with our current midfield options and missed out on a centre back to keep in ffp then that's madness and I like Bannan but I'd sell someone to finance a centre back, surely we could get a few extra mill offloading Jaoa and Big dave if not Bannan? We need a centre back, that's clear

There's no chance of Baz Bannan being sold. He's one of the "hallowed few" in Carlos' eyes.

Winnall is a saleable asset, and we have someone similar, in Rhodes. Had we known we were getting Rhodes, we probably wouldn't have bought Winnall. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather keep all our forwards, but if we need to sell before we can get this centre back that we need, then he'd be the best option. We could make a tidy profit on him

Edited by gurujuan

If you don't want to pay the current absorbent transfer fees, we need to be like Brentford m, Barnsley and a few others. Invest in a quality scouting network and find quality gems and good players from lower league and non league. Simple.!!! Other clubs do it. So why can't we or is our scouting network that atrocious???. I know our manager doesn't like the idea of playing young players either. 

11 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Great post. 

Look at the numbers we have in our squad. Not that there bad players but if you say got rid of Bannan, Fletcher and Winnall (not saying it's that easy to get rid) then the money and wages generated there can allow us to pay over the odds for a CH.

We have Lee/Abdi and Hutch/Jones to cover cm.

We have Rhodes Forestieri Hooper Joao and Big Dave to do his holding Job, plus if Hirst has a successful 6 month loan in League one he comes into the fold in January so the strikers are covered. 

And we have 3 good centre half's in Lees Loovens and the New one with additional cover coming in Hutch Pudil Thornley and O'Grady if required.

Makes the squad much more even.

So you wanna get rid of Bannan, Winnall and Fletcher but keep the most ineffectual player for a "holding job" ?!

WTF position is "holding job" anyway? Does Pep/ Conte/ Mourinho know about this exciting new role? 

Edited by Big Ron's Sovereign

1 hour ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

So you wanna get rid of Bannan, Winnall and Fletcher but keep the most ineffectual player for a "holding job" ?!

WTF position is "holding job" anyway? Does Pep/ Conte/ Mourinho know about this exciting new role? 

Yep I would, as a option from the bench he offers more that Fletcher 

9 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Yep I would, as a option from the bench he offers more that Fletcher 

I'm a big Nuhiu fan, but that's taking it way too far!

Fletcher will always offer more than Atdhe except as a very niche option to hold the ball up top and help run the clock down for the last couple of minutes. If we were drawing or losing a match, I'd want Fletcher on ahead of Nuhiu every single time. And the fact that only one of them will be a regular starter again next season tells you all you need to know about their relative merits.

You don't improve your squad by selling your better players in order to make room for lesser talents.

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'm a big Nuhiu fan, but that's taking it way too far!

Fletcher will always offer more than Atdhe except as a very niche option to hold the ball up top and help run the clock down for the last couple of minutes. If we were drawing or losing a match, I'd want Fletcher on ahead of Nuhiu every single time. And the fact that only one of them will be a regular starter again next season tells you all you need to know about their relative merits.

You don't improve your squad by selling your better players in order to make room for lesser talents.

I agree with you but that's all I would use either of them for - Fletcher is a good player but he doesn't suit us I've said this from day one. There is no doubting that he's a better player than Nuhiu but if we're losing or drawing a game with say Rhodes and Hooper up top, I'd bring Winnall and Joao on before Fletcher to effect it. Which is why I'd move him on.

Plus this would offer more of a chance to Hirst getting one first team action. 

2 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

I agree with you but that's all I would use either of them for - Fletcher is a good player but he doesn't suit us I've said this from day one. There is no doubting that he's a better player than Nuhiu but if we're losing or drawing a game with say Rhodes and Hooper up top, I'd bring Winnall and Joao on before Fletcher to effect it. Which is why I'd move him on.

Plus this would offer more of a chance to Hirst getting one first team action. 

Fletcher suits us just fine, in my opinion. The fact that he was our most used forward and our second highest scorer last season suggests that Carlos thinks so, too. I imagine he'll get plenty of game time again this time around as well.

Quite why we'd want to move on Steven Fletcher to make room for Atdhe Nuhiu, or George Hirst as well now, I'm not sure. He's a better player than both of them at this moment in time, and is far more likely to help us out if we need a goal.

13 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

If you don't want to pay the current absorbent transfer fees, we need to be like Brentford m, Barnsley and a few others. Invest in a quality scouting network and find quality gems and good players from lower league and non league. Simple.!!! Other clubs do it. So why can't we or is our scouting network that atrocious???. I know our manager doesn't like the idea of playing young players either. 

because they have to rely on that for prosperity whereas we do not. I am sure they would trade places with us in terms of how we get new players...

10 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Fletcher suits us just fine, in my opinion. The fact that he was our most used forward and our second highest scorer last season suggests that Carlos thinks so, too. I imagine he'll get plenty of game time again this time around as well.

Quite why we'd want to move on Steven Fletcher to make room for Atdhe Nuhiu, or George Hirst as well now, I'm not sure. He's a better player than both of them at this moment in time, and is far more likely to help us out if we need a goal.

You want Nuhiu there for when Fletcher scores to put you 1 up so that Nuhiu can close the game out and take a good penalty if needed to because Fletcher isn't as good as Nuhiu for that

Edited by Ellis Rimmer

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

You want Nuhiu there for when Fletcher scores to put you 1 up so that Nuhiu can close the game out and take a good penalty if needed to because Fletcher isn't as good as Nuhiu for that

All well and good. So why would we get rid of Fletcher, as was suggested?

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

All well and good. So why would we get rid of Fletcher, as was suggested?

I was joking about Carlos's ridiculous decision in the playoff semi. IMO Nuhiu has been a decent player for us but he needs to move on. Carlos seems to like this sort of one dimensional player who can do one job to help close a game out (Nuhiu and before Helan) however I don't think this is a trait of top teams and it has completely backfired on us twice (play off semi + previous years final). I'd rather CC didn't have players like this at his disposal because I don't trust him to use it effectively. 

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

I was joking about Carlos's ridiculous decision in the playoff semi. IMO Nuhiu has been a decent player for us but he needs to move on. Carlos seems to like this sort of one dimensional player who can do one job to help close a game out (Nuhiu and before Helan) however I don't think this is a trait of top teams and it has completely backfired on us twice (play off semi + previous years final). I'd rather CC didn't have players like this at his disposal because I don't trust him to use it effectively. 

Sorry - my sarcasm unit is on the blink today; something to do with a lack of sleep, I think.

:duntmatter:

It was a massive shame that Fletcher had to go off injured so soon after scoring against Huddersfield, but I can see why Carlos thought Nuhiu would be a decent option to give us an out-ball. Unfortunately, once our defence went to sleep and allowed Huddersfield to level, it left us looking a bit toothless in pursuit of a winner.

Overall, I'd say Carlos uses Nuhiu pretty effectively, and I wouldn't mind keeping him.

I'm amazed any Wednesday fan would want to get rid of Fletcher before Atdhe, though! Baffling.

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Sorry - my sarcasm unit is on the blink today; something to do with a lack of sleep, I think.

:duntmatter:

It was a massive shame that Fletcher had to go off injured so soon after scoring against Huddersfield, but I can see why Carlos thought Nuhiu would be a decent option to give us an out-ball. Unfortunately, once our defence went to sleep and allowed Huddersfield to level, it left us looking a bit toothless in pursuit of a winner.

Overall, I'd say Carlos uses Nuhiu pretty effectively, and I wouldn't mind keeping him.

I'm amazed any Wednesday fan would want to get rid of Fletcher before Atdhe, though! Baffling.

Fletcher was injured? I didn't know that