Over priced average players

38 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

I'm not even saying get a prem young lad in on loan, unless its to be first choice with an option to buy. I'm saying just get one top class one, for the 5-6-7 mill to be the long term partner to Lees, and have Loovrens 3rd choice, and Hutch/O'Grady/Thornily as 4th choice

I agree with you, just if there only a few mill in the pot then maybe that's what it is, personally I'd sell someone, if the rumours were true about Bannan and we kept him with our current midfield options and missed out on a centre back to keep in ffp then that's madness and I like Bannan but I'd sell someone to finance a centre back, surely we could get a few extra mill offloading Jaoa and Big dave if not Bannan? We need a centre back, that's clear

1 hour ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Problem is you go abroad and you don't know what you're gonna come back with. Who would've thought that Matias with 17 goals in the Portuguese top flight would've been so underwhelming when he was fit? When you buy from this country you're paying for more likeliness that they will perform hence the higher price tag. DC has realised this hence why we aren't signing several foreigners this time.

They're are places you can go to buy defenders, Scandinavia, Germany, etc. they seem to have it in their blood to defend. 

I wish we could nick Jansson from Leeds. The Swedes have generally have good defenders that succeed in the UK. 

Nilsson, Olsson, Mellberg, etc. 

Guest We Shall Overcome

He's had two years to sort our Central Defense out, but choose to look after Loovens ,Sasso and Semedo it's to late now the next guy will have to!!!

Would love to see Carlos interviews from a year ago he sounds identical this season. Too expensive, put price up when we approach. Last season he waited for quality and he didnt sign it, we got mullered by Burton so he panicked and signed Sasso. Get ready for a repeat this season

Good clubs get the players they want, regardless of price, and we're falling behind.

I don't think we'll sign anyone else due to our lack of ambition and DC's stubbornness by not getting rid of the deadwood to free up the wage bill. 

40 minutes ago, ZIMMY said:

He's had two years to sort our Central Defense out, but choose to look after Loovens ,Sasso and Semedo it's to late now the next guy will have to!!!

I'm with you on this one. Any shortcomings in the squad are his responsibility, as is the burden of having an over inflated squad. 

That's what a good centre back costs these days. Totally bizarre that he thinks it's OK to pay what he did for Reach, and yet baulks at the price for the type of player we actually need If he's thinking he needs to splash out two, well he doesn't, Hutchinson performs more than adequately in that role. I'd sooner us pay £5m for the right player, than sign a couple who aren't any better than what we have

Edited by gurujuan

7 hours ago, acquiescefc said:

How much were Lees and Westwood?

And I hate to say but how much did Ùdders spend in their season long unbeaten run.

About the same as we are paying Lees per annum reportedly...people (certainly on here) vastly under estimate the importance of managers.

Edited by Almat

£5-£7m is about the going rate for the sort of quality we want How much did he think a player like that would cost? Invest in one who could be our captain for a few years, and if needs must, forget about the other one. One dominant new centre back, backed up by Lees, Loovens and Hutchinson, will be plenty. Any other positions we need covering, then use the loan market. We certainly don't want to be duplicating squad players at £1m each, and big wages 

19 minutes ago, vulture_squadron said:

http://www.skysports.com/share/10961911

Daniel Levy on the transfer market. Like how Pochettino is prepared to give young players a chance, Keoman is the same - wish we would do the same.

Agree we need to sign one centre back but the U23s should be 4th choice surely?

Only if they are good enough, maybe Carlos doesn't rate O'Grady and Thorniley as capable of top end championship football