Over priced average players

If we're realistically gonna give top 2 a go this time, we have to pay around that much for a quality powerful ball playing centre back. May as well pay that much for one quality player, and bring in a couple of freebies or loanees. A Bartley or Dean type of defender, would elevate us to a serious top 2 challenger.

Edited by Mr. Wednesday

Problem is you go abroad and you don't know what you're gonna come back with. Who would've thought that Matias with 17 goals in the Portuguese top flight would've been so underwhelming when he was fit? When you buy from this country you're paying for more likeliness that they will perform hence the higher price tag. DC has realised this hence why we aren't signing several foreigners this time.

Player fees are crazy now but unfortunately that is the way of the football world right now. We have to think long term and how much money the club would get if we went up to the Premiership. Obviously very easy for me to say when it's not my money though. :-)

27 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Problem is you go abroad and you don't know what you're gonna come back with. Who would've thought that Matias with 17 goals in the Portuguese top flight would've been so underwhelming when he was fit? When you buy from this country you're paying for more likeliness that they will perform hence the higher price tag. DC has realised this hence why we aren't signing several foreigners this time.

This going abroad bit you haven't experienced Thai Bride trouble have you?

15 minutes ago, acquiescefc said:

How much were Lees and Westwood?

And I hate to say but how much did Ùdders spend in their season long unbeaten   20 year unbeaten run.

corrected it for you. 

44 minutes ago, Mr. Wednesday said:

If we're realistically gonna give top 2 a go this time, we have to pay around that much for a quality powerful ball playing centre back. May as well pay that much for one quality player, and bring in a couple of freebies or loanees. A Bartley or Dean type of defender, would elevate us to a serious top 2 challenger.

With Hutch in the squad I'd rather spend the money we have for 2 on one really good centre half, if we're being quoted 5,6,7m then surely we're expecting to pay 3-4m anyway so why not just got 1?

Edited by 1867Heaven

3 minutes ago, 1867Heaven said:

With Hutch in the squad I'd rather spend the money we have for 2 on one really good centre half, if we're being quoted 5,6,7m then surely we're expecting to pay 3-4m anyway so why not just got 1?

See this is what I've been saying, keep Hutch and O'Grady as a 4th choice centre back, spend big on a really good one as a Long Term replacement for Loovrens to partner Lees. I don't think we need two expensive Centre backs when we've got Hutch who can play there and O'Grady and Thornily who are it seems good young players.

36 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I think you are taking a chance with southern European players, some great players but some adapt to the English game and become stars but a lot fall by the wayside. I think northern Europeans adapt to the English game more readily. I'd look at German, Swedish or Polish. There's bound to be a few unknown gems.

Just now, marcx666 said:

See this is what I've been saying, keep Hutch and O'Grady as a 4th choice centre back, spend big on a really good one as a Long Term replacement for Loovrens to partner Lees. I don't think we need two expensive Centre backs when we've got Hutch who can play there and O'Grady and Thornily who are it seems good young players.

The only flaw in it is if the intention is only to pay for 1 and get 1 on loan, which is feasible but I can't see any prem teams loaning out their best young centre backs to be 4th choice, is that why Pennington ended up at Leeds??

3 minutes ago, 1867Heaven said:

The only flaw in it is if the intention is only to pay for 1 and get 1 on loan, which is feasible but I can't see any prem teams loaning out their best young centre backs to be 4th choice, is that why Pennington ended up at Leeds??

I'm not even saying get a prem young lad in on loan, unless its to be first choice with an option to buy. I'm saying just get one top class one, for the 5-6-7 mill to be the long term partner to Lees, and have Loovrens 3rd choice, and Hutch/O'Grady/Thornily as 4th choice