"Don't panic,Mr Mainwaring".

13 minutes ago, Snowyowl61 said:

Apologies for being ultra picky but hibernation relates to little or no winter activity, A similar state during the hot, summer period is called estivation.

I hate to be picky thought they played in the Scottish league? Hibs

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST

The sensible side of my brain would rather  wait and attempt to buy at least one top-quality centre-half (preferably two). The dominant impatient and reckless side of my brain (my inner chimp) wants to spaff all of our budget now on any centre-half available irrespective of whether he's good or rubbish. 

I really hope hope something will be sorted soon before I implode!  

I've come to terms with our owner's wealth, after years of mismanagement and latterly, poverty. I don't bother myself with the cost of players, I'm looking for the quality that could see us finish in an automatic promotion place. In the bad old days we would have been looking at selling our best players for nothing like their actual value, and replacing them with guys that the better run clubs were discarding. Carlos the clown could actually be crafty Carlos, IMHO he's waiting to pounce on the players that he wants, he isn't advertising his preferences, the media appointed big boys of the Championship are very much agent driven, so it's a case of 'softly softly catcher monkey', or even two quality defenders.

1 hour ago, shandypants said:

The sensible side of my brain would rather  wait and attempt to buy at least one top-quality centre-half (preferably two). The dominant impatient and reckless side of my brain (my inner chimp) wants to spaff all of our budget now on any centre-half available irrespective of whether he's good or rubbish. 

I really hope hope something will be sorted soon before I implode!  

My inner chimp! , love it! :laugh:

2 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

Pretty sure that our promotion rivals signing 4 or 5 big name players are wasting their money.

The way to go is one free transfer, and then consolidate what you have.

We'll be fine, and should comfortably finish 5th or 6th.

Why not top 2? 

5 hours ago, A12owl said:

I'm fishing now. Just  had the first take for three weeks and got broken. It's like the playoffs and missing out on penalties. Gutted. I only hope no other club goes in with a daft offer for one of our targets and nicks them while we wait for the price to come down near the end of the window. Isn't that what happened to Hanley with Newcastle?

Nah, don't do that self-hooking, waiting for an alarm to tell me to wind in mullarkey. Match fisherman me. Had loads of match wins already this summer too.

5 hours ago, Snowyowl61 said:

Apologies for being ultra picky but hibernation relates to little or no winter activity, A similar state during the hot, summer period is called estivation.

Apologies for being ultra ultra picky,but I believe it's spelt aestivation.

7 hours ago, wednesdayok said:

I think they will hold their own in the first few games and strengthen the team before the window shuts

Thus is my main worry. The club always does this then complain that the player isn't ready for the season and playing catch up.  Fed up of the amount of times I hear " the player would've been better with a proper preseason with us behind him." Every year I can remember!!

7 hours ago, wednesdayok said:

A lot of you here are worrying about the lack of activity on  the transfer market,dont panic,i'm  sure there is a lot of behind the scenes movement by the management staff in finding the right blend of players to join us.I'm  happy with the squad we've got at the moment, I think they will hold their own in the first few games and maybe strengthen the team before the window shuts

Don't tell em Pike..! 

17 hours ago, Snowyowl61 said:

I typed estivation actually... Stupid autocorrect... 

lol