Hutton and mulgrew

45 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

New signings are always a bit lap of the gods. Whether they work or not is a mix of calculation and luck.

We don't seem to be after bums on seats type players but even players you hope would be nailed on to succeed sometimes don't - I can remember loads from Mirocevic through Chamberlain, Stainrod, Sinton- and we don't know how for example Rhodes and Abdi e.g. will end up.

Likewise players such as McCulloch, Madden, Big Viv, Lees etc have exceeded expectations. A lot of people - me included - wondered why we were signing Bannan. Now he's a vital squad member.

Let's hope CC/DC/ whoever gets it right - we won't know until we see how the team gels. 

And let's not forget how good Gary Shelton was..

27 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Has it pushed us on though? We had an exciting side, that reached the play off final, and went on a cup run that did for the likes of top flight clubs, Newcastle and Arsenal Since then, we've had this obsession with older heads, which for the money spent, hasn't really improved us

I might be wrong but didn't we finish higher with more points last season :duntmatter:

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

No, the year before we got to final This year we didn't 

You've got me there. Finishing higher in the table but not getting to the final. We haven't improved then, have we? :rolleyes:

Just something else to consider about this Mulgrew deal.

United are currently chasing another Blackburn centre half, Darragh Lenihan, and are been quoted £5m. He's played 80 league games, 17 of those in League Two. 

Mulgrew, available for £1m if reports are true, has played 271 league games, 33 Champions League games, won 5 league titles and got 26 international appearance. And at 31, still has 2 or 3 years left in him. 

2 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

You've got me there. Finishing higher in the table but not getting to the final. We haven't improved then, have we? :rolleyes:

Well, which do you think pleases Huddersfield the most, winning the final, or finishing 5th?

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Well, which do you think pleases Huddersfield the most, winning the final, or finishing 5th?

We lost in the play-offs on penalties. Fine margins. Huddersfield went up because they're good at penalties. They weren't a better side than us over the season.

I just think we're moving in the right direction, you and several others on here don't? I'm getting ready for the I told you so's this time next year because as I see it, the expectations and pessimism amongst the fan base are going to hamper us far more than signing the likes of Hutton and Mulgrew.

16 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Two seasons ago we got one game within the Premier League

Last season we got within two games

The goal isn't "finish as high as we can", the goal is "get promoted". So... in what season did we get closer to our goal?

Ultimately we 'failed' our goal in the regular season both times because we finished outside the top two.

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

The goal isn't "finish as high as we can", the goal is "get promoted". So... in what season did we get closer to our goal?

Ultimately we 'failed' our goal in the regular season both times because we finished outside the top two.

No argument there but after the best part of two decades of frustration and disappointment, we're on the right track but in many ways next season is pivotal because we'll either continue to make progress or we may have to rip it all up and start again?

1 minute ago, Great Big Galaa said:

No argument there but after the best part of two decades of frustration and disappointment, we're on the right track but in many ways next season is pivotal because we'll either continue to make progress or we may have to rip it all up and start again?

Not sure anyone's saying that

Dunno exactly what guru's argument would be, but mine is we've got enough experience and we need that 'x' factor to get us up. We've got the top 6 side down as evidenced by the last two seasons, we just need that bit of an extra push. Signing players in their early 30's is fine for a season or two, but for the medium-long term we could be stuck with players lacking what we need on big contracts that we can't get rid of, crippling us for FFP.

Mulgrew I can totally see the point of, but Hutton is 33 this season. He's got how many seasons left in him... 1? 2 at best? He's no Bruno for Brighton that's for sure, so he's working on borrowed time. He also knows he's no Prem player any more... is his heart really going to be in winning promotion? We'd be the last big club offering him his last big contract and his last chance to play footie at a high level... promotion to the Prem and its his career in the top two flights over. Compare that to Palmer... he's probably not that much worse than Hutton, and as a Wednesday lad he'd surely be more up for it and on a fraction of Hutton's wages. I just don't see how this can possibly benefit us beyond the short-term of this season.

3 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Not sure anyone's saying that

Dunno exactly what guru's argument would be, but mine is we've got enough experience and we need that 'x' factor to get us up. We've got the top 6 side down as evidenced by the last two seasons, we just need that bit of an extra push. Signing players in their early 30's is fine for a season or two, but for the medium-long term we could be stuck with players lacking what we need on big contracts that we can't get rid of, crippling us for FFP.

Mulgrew I can totally see the point of, but Hutton is 33 this season. He's got how many seasons left in him... 1? 2 at best? He's no Bruno for Brighton that's for sure, so he's working on borrowed time. He also knows he's no Prem player any more... is his heart really going to be in winning promotion? We'd be the last big club offering him his last big contract and his last chance to play footie at a high level... promotion to the Prem and its his career in the top two flights over. Compare that to Palmer... he's probably not that much worse than Hutton, and as a Wednesday lad he'd surely be more up for it and on a fraction of Hutton's wages. I just don't see how this can possibly benefit us beyond the short-term of this season.

Why do you not believe that he was the one player at Villa when they went down who actually gave afuck...still put it in when the rest of them were tossingit off...that's why the villa fans love him

34 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Just something else to consider about this Mulgrew deal.

United are currently chasing another Blackburn centre half, Darragh Lenihan, and are been quoted £5m. He's played 80 league games, 17 of those in League Two. 

Mulgrew, available for £1m if reports are true, has played 271 league games, 33 Champions League games, won 5 league titles and got 26 international appearance. And at 31, still has 2 or 3 years left in him. 

So the blunts are after the one that Blackburn rate a lot higher?

Just now, daveyboy66 said:

Why do you not believe that he was the one player at Villa when they went down who actually gave afuck...still put it in when the rest of them were tossingit off...that's why the villa fans love him

I'm not going to question his character, it's just common sense

He won't get any Prem football again in his career. We'd be his last big payday. Not going to question his character, he could well be a seasoned pro (he's always come across as one) and it not effect his performances... but it also could. And it's the same logic as to why he was the only one putting the shift in during the Villa promotion season, he knew as he approached his early 30's that there just wouldn't be any more Prem football for him any more. 

I just don't see how this is going to be a sensible signing

GK

Hutton   Hanley  Mulgrew  Palmer

Boyd   Bannan      CM       Wallace

Fletcher   Rhodes 

Strachan may not need to bother watching any other games when the window closes.

Guest everydays_wednesday
1 hour ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Some on here would see Messi and Ronaldo as uninspiring signings? 

They are both knocking on a bit though.....:-)

8 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I think we need to separate a few issues here The club is unquestionably going in the right direction, as witnessed by some of the things that are happening in and around Hillsborough Most people appreciate that, I'm sure.

I do think though, on the field, things may have stalled a tad. In that first season, we signed some exciting players, scored some cracking goals and generally entertained.

Last summer, I thought we lost our way with some of the signings we made A lot of money was spent on perhaps too many players The January window just compounded things for me. We never really looked like we could threaten the automatics, and in my opinion, never really dominated our opponents 

Don't get me wrong, we have good players, and enough quality to again challenge for the play offs We are though, no nearer being able to challenge for a top two place. In fact, there were signs last season that a few sides had caught us up

I have the utmost confidence in Carlos as a coach, and I believe he will find a way a way of getting results with whatever hand he's been dealt For me though, it's a case of what might have been

I know nothing about Mulgrew - but just watched highlights of Newcastle V Blackburn last season and although he scored in that game, defensively he looked off the pace.  Definitely in that game at least - didn't look as good as Sasso - who presumably we could have offered a new contract.  Presumably we are looking for better.  Admittedly based on 3 minutes highlights, so not necessarily a true reflection, but he doesn't look like an improvement to me.

Edited by Kevan

36 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I would argue the goal is to win enough games/score enough points to finish in top two. 

Failing that to finish 3-6 and win playoffs. 

If we look at progress towards top 2 we are certainly improving. 

2 seasons ago we scraped into top 6, last season we were there the better part of the season. Neither resulted in what we want but we are certainly getting better.