Hutton and mulgrew

4 minutes ago, jp1981 said:

Bartley and / or Ayala would be my first choice CB to sign.

It could be we are waiting until the last minute like we did with Rhodes to try and get a better deal, or for other clubs to sign replacements.

The chances of Monk letting Ayala go must be remote.

And if Boro sell Gibson you would think that Bartley will be Monk's first choice replacement.

Therefore, ironically, I think you are highly likely to see those two play together - unfortunately for Boro.

On 23/07/2017 at 11:15, Great Big Galaa said:

I don't remember Hunt playing much premier league football and he certainly hasn't played international football. Surely this means Hutton has the greater pedigree?

Was going to say exactly the same

2 hours ago, simpark said:

The fact that he was included in Villa's trip to Germany and was in the starting line-up for their game yesterday suggests they're not trying to force him out or that he is on the brink of leaving - plus he recently triggered his contract extension and has gone on record to say he will not be moving

On the other hand I understand Tommy Elphick was left at home. He was thought of highly when he went to villa but didn't do well there at all. Type of signing we were making a few seasons back in terms of not done well and not wanted but hungry to prove people wrong. 

22 hours ago, simpark said:

The fact that he was included in Villa's trip to Germany and was in the starting line-up for their game yesterday suggests they're not trying to force him out or that he is on the brink of leaving - plus he recently triggered his contract extension and has gone on record to say he will not be moving

However, Hutton has been on loan a lot for 2-3 years and maybe they are playing him in friendlies to put him in the shop window. His wages are allegedly very high and at 32 there will be few buyers among those to whom he has been loaned, one of whom was Bolton. which is not the standard of team aiming for the Premier league

20 hours ago, Philb125 said:

On the other hand I understand Tommy Elphick was left at home. He was thought of highly when he went to villa but didn't do well there at all. Type of signing we were making a few seasons back in terms of not done well and not wanted but hungry to prove people wrong. 

Elphick the guy who smashed into/collided with Fletcher in the first home game of last season?

21 hours ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

That's where you're getting a wee bit confused. I don't expect Mulgrew to be 4th choice if he signs, I just believe if we are to improve our main 11 players on the pitch, then Mulgrew would be my 4th choice centre half because I'd want Lees and another top centre back as first choice, leaving Loovens and Mulgrew as 3rd and 4th choice.

Whilst Mulgrew might be a better defender than Loovens - debatable - the Lees/Loovens combination is extremely good, hence I'd have to put Mulgrew as 4th choice.

We need an improvement on Loovens, IMO, and that ain't Mulgrew.

It is a good partnership untill we come up against pace, then its not so good!

13 minutes ago, victorturner said:

However, Hutton has been on loan a lot for 2-3 years and maybe they are playing him in friendlies to put him in the shop window. His wages are allegedly very high and at 32 there will be few buyers among those to whom he has been loaned, one of whom was Bolton. which is not the standard of team aiming for the Premier league

I don't want this signing to happen, at all

But Alan Hutton hasn't been on loan at all for the last 2-3 years... so you're talking bullplop mate

On 23/07/2017 at 20:23, gurujuan said:

But that's just it, they did beat experience. I'm with Waltham re Huddersfield, and you can add Fulham to that, but alas, I think we are too far down this route to change. 

I think we need to sign more up and comers but Huddersfield we're a freak season, they didn't even look like scoring in the playoffs and still went up. 

Our team has wilted under pressure a number of times so I can see our logic in looking at players who have been there and done it.

Never really rated Hutton, only a marginal improvement on Hunt as both can attack but not defend.

Mulgrew is a good player though, very good at Celtic. Not sure why he ever moved to Blackburn. But im not sure we can be going in with 3LBs, one would have to leave in that case.