Hutton and mulgrew

15 minutes ago, Owl999 said:

Don't think either would improve our starting 11, poor recruitment if it turns out to be right .

Do not agree, I think they would provide depth, experience and competition to the one area of the squad which requires it. Also, as someone has pointed out in another thread, they are both relatively cheap and signing them puts would put us in a less desperate situation in terms of negotiations and immediate-neediness for the likes of Hanley. 

Edited by AwokenGiant

1 minute ago, AwokenGiant said:

Do not agree, I think they would provide depth, experience and competition to the one area of the squad which requires it. 

So you'd agree that they wouldn't improve what you would view as a first choice starting 11 ? Recruitment is about improving  on what you have, neither of these two do that, you can sign anyone to bolster numbers and add competition. 

6 minutes ago, Owl999 said:

So you'd agree that they wouldn't improve what you would view as a first choice starting 11 ? Recruitment is about improving  on what you have, neither of these two do that, you can sign anyone to bolster numbers and add competition. 

Its a squad game now - so YES, on their day and in form they can and would be better than an an out-of-form, tired or injured player in same position.

The problem that most people have about both of them is age and one only has to look at the performances of the experienced Loovens over the last few seaons to look beyond this. 

Furthermore, over the last two seasons we have equaled and gone close to our clean sheet record, so not sure how much improvement at the back we need - depth/competition yes, improvement not imperative. 

Edited by AwokenGiant

1 minute ago, james o connor said:

If I'm right I believe mulgrew is a centre half? If so yes deffo sign him up. Hutton no way, hunt is far better and palmer is a capable back up 

I don't remember Hunt playing much premier league football and he certainly hasn't played international football. Surely this means Hutton has the greater pedigree?

1 minute ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I don't remember Hunt playing much premier league football and he certainly hasn't played international football. Surely this means Hutton has the greater pedigree?

I know hunt is fashionable to slag off on here but I'm going to go against the grain and go with what I've seen. Hunt is the right age and getting better. Hutton is overrated and getting worse , we don't need to slow our team down even further . 

Guest wilyfox
Just now, Great Big Galaa said:

Amazes me how many ignore the career Hutton has had. He's more robust defensively than our right-backs, and has played at a level Palmer will probably never reach. Villa's defence was also pretty decent second half of last season. They went on a good run, and he was part of that: so much so, he won many of their fans over. I wouldn't be so dismissive of him. 

Mulgrew ticks a lot of boxes for us, and is probably a deal we could get done quickly. 

Just now, james o connor said:

I know hunt is fashionable to slag off on here but I'm going to go against the grain and go with what I've seen. Hunt is the right age and getting better. Hutton is overrated and getting worse , we don't need to slow our team down even further . 

Tell me where I've slagged Hunt off? I have said he's done ok but I'll be honest he's played better at previous clubs than he has done here.

39 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Amazes me how many ignore the career Hutton has had. He's more robust defensively than our right-backs, and has played at a level Palmer will probably never reach. Villa's defence was also pretty decent second half of last season. They went on a good run, and he was part of that: so much so, he won many of their fans over. I wouldn't be so dismissive of him. 

Mulgrew ticks a lot of boxes for us, and is probably a deal we could get done quickly. 

Only because nobody else would want him

Guest wilyfox
Just now, gurujuan said:

Only because nobody else would want him

Well, I'd expect that response from you. Scottish...30+...no pace... = thumbs down from guru. They have attributes we could use.

1 minute ago, wilyfox said:

Everyone's going on about bringing in players that improve the first eleven. Signing Hutton would do this, more touch and go whether Mulgrew would? Probably depends where you play him. If at Left Back? Yes. If at Centre Half, probably Not?