More attacking wingers this term?

I think one thing most people on OT wanted to see last season was for our wingers to play wider and be more attacking.

In his interviews after the recent friendlies CC has hinted this might be the case this season:

- he said that we have "Boyd and Wallace for the right" and then also "Fernando and Matias for the left" - which are obviously more attacking than the options last season or if he'd said "we have Bannan and Abdi for the left"

- he's talked more extensively about FF playing from the left and Rhodes playing more on the shoulder of the last man which would overall be a more attacking style

- he has mentioned that we're working on new attacking shapes to be different from those used in either of the two previous seasons which further hints at changes to our style which combined with the above comments sounds intriguing

Do we think this is what we'll get? 

I think those players will play out wide which should avoid his square pegs in round holes problem that he has - however I can't see them playing wide as he just doesn't play this way. 

He HAS to go more attacking this season or he will be gone by xmas as we won't get the luck we had last, so yes I expect those players to play out wide and us to not sit back as much but I still expect us to be narrow and compact across the midfield with the width coming from the fullbacks.

The other issue with what he has said is where would Bannan, Reach Abdi fit into the side? I want us to build a team round Abdi this year but can't see CC wanting that and we all know the other 2 have pictures of him Keith Lard style as they always get a place !

I hope so! Reach has looked to be more attacking in the games so far and lets be fair, we probably have the best attacking line up in the league, most teams would kill to have Rhodes, Hooper, Fletcher, Winnall et al.

Can see Hutch and Bannan sitting deep in games where we need to be more solid and Lee coming in to replace either of Hutch or Bannan to break forward from midfield in games where we need to break teams down. 

Would like him to give the front 4 licence to do their thing, interchange and cause havoc for defenders, while we have screening midfielders to protect in case of  loss of possession.

i think the main thing CC has to get right which shouldnt be too difficult is playing players in the correct positions, doesnt really matter too much what formation we play if we dont have players in the there correct positions, Abdi, Bannan, FF & Reach were moved around too much last season, will never get the consistency if they swap positions every week, also we need a good partenship up top, but this will be difficult as CC will change this most weeks making it impossible for players to create a good partnership

Just now, northeastowl said:

My only issue is I don't see Carlos having the minerals to drop one of Bannan, Lee or Hutch. 

The easy cop out is to fling one out wide which unbalances us. 

Will be interesting to see the team come Preston though.

Agree completely, just hope CC has learnt from last year and plays with players in their correct positions. We have Hutch and Bannan as potentially first choice CM's with more than adequate replacements in Lee and Abdi to come in, not to mention Jones, who has been starting pre season games. 

CM is an area where we are strong, but playing 3 or more of them at a time weakens the team, not strengthens it.

Think it helps of they are actually encouraged to keep the width instead of coming inside all the time. I've been crying out for this since January time. Finally Carlos has understood. 

There has to be a way we can be more dominant in football matches. 

2 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

Think it helps of they are actually encouraged to keep the width instead of coming inside all the time. I've been crying out for this since January time. Finally Carlos has understood. 

There has to be a way we can be more dominant in football matches. 

Playing proper wingers rather than Bannannor Abdi does this automatically. 

The he first instinct of Boyd, Wallace, Reach etc is to look to receive the ball wide.

The first instinct of a natural CM is to come much narrower

1 hour ago, Frazzlebeak said:

The first few games will determine CCs tactics. If he plays with more width and an attacking strategy and its not working in the first couple of games he will revert to type. It will the become a borefest.

I hope the OP is right. I hope two out of FF, Boyd, Reach and Wallace play every week. 

Our record pkayingbthis this way in each of our last two seasons is reficulousky good. Even with the likes of Sougou, McGeafy and Macca our record was far better when we play two wingers than 3 CMs

3 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

I think one thing most people on OT wanted to see last season was for our wingers to play wider and be more attacking.

In his interviews after the recent friendlies CC has hinted this might be the case this season:

- he said that we have "Boyd and Wallace for the right" and then also "Fernando and Matias for the left" - which are obviously more attacking than the options last season or if he'd said "we have Bannan and Abdi for the left"

- he's talked more extensively about FF playing from the left and Rhodes playing more on the shoulder of the last man which would overall be a more attacking style

- he has mentioned that we're working on new attacking shapes to be different from those used in either of the two previous seasons which further hints at changes to our style which combined with the above comments sounds intriguing

Do we think this is what we'll get? 

If better defenders are signed...