So no wingers needed

Sounds like CC made his mind up where Fessi playing this year. To me sounds this good we've got quality players upfront can't leave them rotting on bench. With FF on left gives us room for 1 more quality striker on pitch. Rhodes and hooper for me. But wow having the defenders worried about these too then Fessi comes running past them banging them in from all angles woth hooper and Rhodes poaching the rebounds works a treat in my eyes can't wait lol 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-in-which-position-does-carlos-carvalhal-see-fernando-forestieri-playing-this-season-1-8651154/amp

Edited by Lomas613

A fully fit and flying Fernando is better than anyone we could realistically afford so I can understand Carlos focusing on other areas. If the season starts and it looks like neither Reach, FF or Matias are up to it then we have until the end of August to bring another winger in ie. Snodgrass.

I imagine we'll once again see Forestieri used on the left and as a second striker depending on the context of individual games as they develop. It would be nice to see us starting him on the left a bit more though, as that tends to be the tactic which signals that we're switching to attack mode!

9 minutes ago, swfc1983 said:

A fully fit and flying Fernando is better than anyone we could realistically afford so I can understand Carlos focusing on other areas. If the season starts and it looks like neither Reach, FF or Matias are up to it then we have until the end of August to bring another winger in ie. Snodgrass.

I could never understand the interest in Snodgrass or Ince when we already gave a far better player for the left wing.

FF will score as many as either, will create as much as either, and excite far more than either. 

8 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I could never understand the interest in Snodgrass or Ince when we already gave a far better player for the left wing.

FF will score as many as either, will create as much as either, and excite far more than either. 

Who knows maybe we were covering bases in case of the need for a winger if the Boyd deal fell through? I do think that maybe Carlos and Fernando have had a bit of a clear the air on what his best position is at the club. He didn't always look the happiest out on the left but in that interview Carlos suggests that FF is now happy to play out there or indeed anywhere as long as he's playing. Maybe FF has realised his game time would be limited if he insisted on playing up front with the players we've already got in that position?

Edited by swfc1983

I'm probably amongst the minority. I'm pleased that we seem to have learned lessons and aren't spunking money left, right, and centre on average players this pre-season. There is enough talent in this squad as it is if Carlos can get the balance right and put out a settled team every week.

7 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I imagine we'll once again see Forestieri used on the left and as a second striker depending on the context of individual games as they develop. It would be nice to see us starting him on the left a bit more though, as that tends to be the tactic which signals that we're switching to attack mode!

Hope you are wrong. Hope we never see him start a match as second striker. 

Hull last year and Huddersfield thus year are perfect examples of how toothless the team becomes when we play with one striker and no threat down one side of the pitch. 

As I type, of the 650 who have voted in the Star poll (ok 277 were me.....joke):-

35 want him dropped or gone

220 want him behind a front two - but Carlos has told us it's 442, so that role won't exist

40 want him striker

345 want him wide left

I'm delighted he has said this. Hope he means it. 

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

When did you see a full-back catch FF legally once he had turned past him?

Not many times truthfully however FF still hasn't got bags of pace and we all know we struggle to counter attack teams and the slow passing build up play doesn't always work for us! 

11 minutes ago, swfc1983 said:

Who knows maybe we were covering bases in case of the need for a winger if the Boyd deal fell through? I do think that maybe Carlos and Fernando have had a bit of a clear the air on what his best position is at the club. He didn't always look the happiest out on the left but in that interview Carlos suggests that FF is now happy to play out there or indeed anywhere as long as he's playing. Maybe FF has realised his game time would be limited if he insisted on playing up front with the players we've already got in that position?

If he does play FF left we get lots of bonuses...

FF plays more

There's only room for two CMs so we get balance

We may get the largely settled attack we never had last season

Hooper, Fletch and Rhodes will get loads of game-time

All is not lost for Winnall

Edited by Holmowl

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

If he does play FF left we get lots of bonuses...

FF plays more

There's only room for two CMs so we get balance

We may get the largely settled attack we never had last season

Hooper, Fletch and Rhodes will get loads of game-time

All us not list for Winnall

Can't disagree with any of that hopefully that's how it plays out.

25 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Whilst I think FF is awesome for us, I'd love to see someone with the quality of deliveries Snodgrass has in the team. 

Not saying has had to be Snodgrass but can you imagine the headed goals between Winall, Rhodes, Fletcher with those crosses coming in? 

I think you posted about us scoring most headers last season, which shocked me! I think we would score 50% more with that kind of quality in team.

9 minutes ago, SwfcG said:

Not many times truthfully however FF still hasn't got bags of pace and we all know we struggle to counter attack teams and the slow passing build up play doesn't always work for us! 

When we play two wingers our passing play is quicker. In that awful first 18 games last season when we only played one winger, our play was funereal, and we scored 20 goals in 18!!! 

There was no width down one side. We would walk the ball along the back four and out to full-backs or Bannan, but then there was only one way it could go, back across to the one side we had some width. So easy for oppos to strangle our play deep in our half, even at home. 

Any two wingers improve this turgid play, but if one is FF it's another level entirely, because unlike Reach, Bannan or Abdi in that position, Nando's first instinct is to turn and run at the defender, not to stop and pass the ball back to the full-back.