Next Season's system

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-carlos-carvalhal-rules-out-owls-formation-change-1-8647482

It's going to be 4-4-2 according to Carlos, but we have to take that with a bit of a grain of salt, as he acknowledges there is a lot of flexibility

but, it does look like there will be two CM, two FB/WB, two CM, 2 F and 2W.

Though 4-4-2 could also include a diamond formation, with a deep midfielder and someone functioning as almost a third forward (probably not Hooper, as then it's hard to pretend it isn't 4-3-3)

It also can include midfielders playing sort of wide, as Bannan often did

To be honest, the possible combinations for front 6 are a bit dizzying, especially if REach can be a left back pushed forward. I don't think there is anyone at the club who can do something similar on the right, but that doesn't matter. If Forestieri plays on the "left", the team is similarly unbalanced.

Lee is probably the only CM who is an almost certain pick, though if Abdi really does come good, it might be that Abdi/Jones or Abdi/Hutchinson gets the nod ahead of him

Once the Boyd signing was announced, it was evident that we would be continuing with 4-4-2. It's going to be the same as last year with wingers tucking in and working hard and as a team we will be hard to play against.  I don't see us creating a boat load of chances and being entertaining. It will be pragmatic and effective, whether it is good enough for top 2 is debatable. I see us playing either FF or Hooper behind either Fletch or Rhodes. FF won't be deployed on the wing.

10 minutes ago, MuddyFunkster said:

In all fairness there weren't that many times you could look at our team last season and say with any confidence what formation we were adopting, regardless of what Carlos says.

I think that is what I get from it, but there are probably things we can rule out, such as 3 center backs, just one, or three outright strikers. Thought there aren't many people advocating those

1 hour ago, ashamanic said:

I think that is what I get from it, but there are probably things we can rule out, such as 3 center backs, just one, or three outright strikers. Thought there aren't many people advocating those

Yeah but at times last season Hutch was dropping back between Lees and Loovens to make a three. I guess it's in game management where it will count and that's where Carlos will earn his corn. There's also times when Forestieri is out wide that he doesn't come back and Carlos tells him to stay up so we do at times keep three up. My view on it is that Carlos doesn't always need to answer the press and be a little more guarded. At times he can make a rod for his own back, poor fella.

Edited by MuddyFunkster

Yeah i'd be shocked if CC played anything but 442 for consecutive spells this season.

For me it has to be;

CM/CM - 2 of Lee/Bannan/Hutchinson/Jones/Abdi

RM/LM - 2 of Boyd/Reach/Wallace/Matias/FF

ST/ST - 2 of FF/Hooper/Rhodes/Fletcher/Winnall/Joao

Where we've gone wrong in the past is when CC tries to force Bannan into LM, Abdi into RM, Hooper into RW...of course i'd like to see one or two new attacking signings come in even if on loan to give us some more options. But I think out of what we have got so far there is surely a top 4 team in that mix, maybe even top 2 if we find a system that works.

Purley based on the friendly, to me it looks very much like last season. The fullbacks were very high, Jones dropped in-between the two center Half's. And reach, boyed went drifting where they wanted.

I didn't like it last season as teams sussed this out and we ended up with lee's hitting long balls a lot.

At times we have played 3 at the back with 5 in midfield even if we don't officially set up that way. Hutchinson drops to the toes of the cbs and the fullbacks push forward. 

However, I'm glad we haven't changed to a formal 3-5-2 or similar. I think that would be drastic and would need time to test and bed in. We need to grind out results from the first weekend and I think we're better placed with a familiar system, albeit with a few fresh faces.

We showed last season that we're capable of finding the kind of form required to compete for automatic promotion, but we didn't find that form early enough. Hopefully we can keep key players such as Hooper and Lee fit, as well as effectively integrating the likes of Abdi and Boyd into our system.

I don't think we need a major overhaul; minor tweaks and the kind of confidence a flying start can give you should see us challenging.