Shoot on sight.......

2 hours ago, Frazzlebeak said:

As simple and uncomplicated as it sounds we didn't-don't do enough this. If we have enough players in and around the box for the rebounds there always a chance.

You're right. Football doesn't have to be about complicated systems and tactics and formations.  I was pleased to see we did this abit at Alfreton last night.  Winnall hit a speculative shot from distance, it hit a defender for a corner. Could have looped over the keeper.  I'm not saying just shoot from anywhere every time but when we get a clear sight of goal we should have a go, not pass sideways every time. With todays light balls the keeper could spill it, be decieved. Or adefender could deflect it in, or it could rebound to one of our proven predatory players.

The first season under Carlos he openly said the players had that freedom to do so. And they did which is why we saw so many cracking goals.

Last season they rarely seemed to try it. When they did it was often too late & only after crowd encouragement to do so.

I took it to be a confidence/pressure thing. Hopefully they will be able to cope with the pressure a little better this year & just let it fly.

3 hours ago, Bigblueowl said:

Adam Reach, Boyd and Wallace just smash it when you get a sight. Enough tippy tappy just a good old crack from 25 yards and see what happens. AV IT......

Could apply to others also but I'd give Bannan special dispensation to pass, however. In fact it ought to written into his contract!

Edited by Beauchief Owl

3 hours ago, Frazzlebeak said:

As simple and uncomplicated as it sounds we didn't-don't do enough this. If we have enough players in and around the box for the rebounds there always a chance.

I think we also could pose more of a threat  with throw-ins in the final third of the pitch. Several teams have a long-throw expert, we often end up playing the ball back into our own half or losing it.

Edited by Beauchief Owl

Not doing the same thing all the time gives defenders a lot more to think about. If the defender seriously considers that you will take them on, get a yard and cross or shoot it gives them a dilemma and increases your chances of being successful at any of the three.

If you always turn and pass it backwards the defender's job is easy.

17 hours ago, OxonOwl said:

JR will head in the rebounds

17 hours ago, Bigblueowl said:

Exactly! If the shots don't go straight in the we jump on rebounds or they deflect in off the defenders! All three outcomes work for me!

17 hours ago, Frazzlebeak said:

There is a flaw, BIG DAVE.

Chris Waddle wouldn't agree, folk have very selective memories when it comes to scoring goals, he actually scored very few for us, albeit most of them being classics, however he made far more than he scored, not to mention terrorising the likes of Ryan Giggs. I saw Carlton Palmer shoot on sight against QPR, he scored three out of complete naively, now give me John Sheridan's one shot against Man Utd at Wembley and wer're talking. The Championship is not the Sunday League, let's stick to playing football guys, you know that it makes sense.