The possibles:-

Boyd

Wallace

Reach

FF

Bannan

Abdi

Matias

Its going to be really interesting to see what Carlos does. Our first 3 games will hopefully see a settled side, so who plays wide(ish) for us?

Boyd - 36 games out of 38 last season, at a far higher level. Surely, the one out and out cert is that Goerge starts our early games.

Wallace - 43 out of 47 games last season. Again, surely a starter 5th August?

Reach - 41 out of 42 games last season, though 11 as LB. If Boyd and Wallace are near certs, will we start the season with Adam as LB?

FF - only 15 starts at LW in two seasons, including only 6 last season. And we have more choice this year than ever before. I think this signals that Carlos disagrees with the majority of fans. He is a striker in our shirt.

Matias - won't post his starts! Possibly decent. Possibly great. But it's fanciful to consider him as a real option for the season. He could be a pleasant surprise, and a bonus if so.

Bannan - imo I never want to see him there, and maybe just maybe that might come true with Boyd, Wallace and Reach. Maybe Carlos has set his stall out to play two proper wide men pretty much every minute. Hope so.

Abdi - ditto Bannan.

Which two do you think Carlos will start with for PNE, QPR and Sunderland?

Which two do you think he should start with?

Edited by Holmowl

Guest wilyfox

Bannan and Abdi should only be used centrally. Matias should fookoff back to Portugal on loan to rediscover some form and regain value. Carlos will probably continue to use FF as a second-striker. That leaves Reach, Boyd, and Wallace. That leaves room for a newbie with some motherfookin' PACE! 

Given the way our wingers are asked to operate, and in some games it will be Abdi or Bannan playing there, then pace up front would be a better option. Can't see much change to what we have, either out wide, or up front

I'd say Reach and Wallace have earned their places, but at his age and with his experience Boyd hasn't been brought in to warm the bench. 

Likewise with Matias, although he's had a bumpy road to this point (that's putting it mildly) I think Carlos still sees him as first XI quality if he could ever stay fit and repeat the form that made us buy him in the first place. 

There's problems to address at the back for me, and if we aren't selling anyone this summer then I think the rest of our FFP restricted budget will go towards a decent CB and maybe a Versatile full back. 

A winger on loan might be a possibility when injury inevitability strikes. 

Does it make sense to believe that we will go for another winger, with pace?

I assume those that want one, want a quality one. Which quality pacy winger will come here, and play week in, week out, given that we already have three wingers who play as near as 100% of fixtures as you could ever get?

I think it's conceivable we will buy or loan a McGeady/Macca/Buckley type, but only to play a handful of minutes as they did.

The work rate we will get from Reach and Boyd on the wings will set the platform for the team alongside the work rate from Lee, Bannan and Hutchinson.

I wouldn't like to play against Wednesdays midfield next year as they will be on top of you from minute 1.

8 minutes ago, Cbroaduk said:

The work rate we will get from Reach and Boyd on the wings will set the platform for the team alongside the work rate from Lee, Bannan and Hutchinson.

I wouldn't like to play against Wednesdays midfield next year as they will be on top of you from minute 1.

True but I don't think work rate has ever been an issue since Carlos took over.  Creating plenty of chances for our strikers is still questionable at the moment 

Is Stobbs going to be included? Is he 20 now? Just signed his first pro contract - wonder if he's going to head out on loan.

Crying out for some pace somewhere in the team - so one paced it can become predictable.

Unless Westwood is secretly Usain Bolt :manager:

1 minute ago, CalmJimmers said:

Is Stobbs going to be included? Is he 20 now? Just signed his first pro contract - wonder if he's going to head out on loan.

Crying out for some pace somewhere in the team - so one paced it can become predictable.

Unless Westwood is secretly Usain Bolt :manager:

We we are very predictable, as a few of the TV pundits have mentioned When we are on song though, we are very difficult to play against

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Each of them either know or have been taught to cut inside. The exception is probably Reach but he works really hard.

In terms of a traditional winger, how about Stobbs?

Only Reach plays on his traditional best side

28 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

True but I don't think work rate has ever been an issue since Carlos took over.  Creating plenty of chances for our strikers is still questionable at the moment 

agreed but if you over run them initially the chance will come.

I think with it being an away game were likely to see the pairing of Reach and Boyd. 

If Lee is also in that midfield 4 the energy those three allies is to play Bannan (not as deep) or Abdi to add our creativity. 

Keep hearing how we need pace, I think the word need is misunderstood. Plenty of great players with absence of pace, and quite a few very average quick players too. Whilst I'd love it if Boyd, Reach, Rhodes were a bit quicker, I think it's pretty certain if they were they'd be playing a bit higher than championship.