Wallace - needs to earn a new contract

Head coach Carlos Carvalhal has challenged Sheffield Wednesday winger Ross Wallace to earn a new contract.

The 32-year-old’s current deal lasts until the summer of 2018. Wallace, a free-transfer recruit, has helped the Owls secure back-to-back play-off finishes, racking up 93 appearances. 

“I’ve been here two years and played an awful lot of games,” Wallace told The Star. 

“I think I have done a good job and will be looking to continue that in pre-season. I have helped create and score goals and linked up well with the strikers. 

“As soon as I came here, I felt part of things and it just felt right. The fans took to me right away.  

“Obviously, you have a few moaners and groaners but the majority of the fans have been right behind me and it feels the right place to be playing my football.  

“I’m enjoying it and I’m enjoying working with the manager.  

“We have a good bunch of players and a great opportunity to achieve something. All the boxes have been ticked. 

“If the club were to offer me another contract, I would snap their hands off. 

“I have spoken to the manager about it. He wants me to have another season playing like I have done in the last two years. If I do that, I will get another extension on my contract. In the meantime, the club won’t be giving me a new contract.” 

Wednesday have added to their wing options by bringing in George Boyd, but Wallace added: “I believe in my ability and quality. Personally, I think I have done enough in the last two years to achieve another contract but you have to respect the manager’s opinion. 

“I’m happy enough and I enjoy working under the manager.”

2 minutes ago, paddyowl said:

He's been one of our most consistant players over the last 2 seasons and IMO has earned at least another year.

So pre season of his last year contracted you'd offer him an extension before we know: 

- what league were in next season 

- how he performs 

- what impact getting older is having

I think club / manager are right to say earn one this year. 

11 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

So pre season of his last year contracted you'd offer him an extension before we know: 

- what league were in next season 

- how he performs 

- what impact getting older is having

I think club / manager are right to say earn one this year. 

I would, if we're promoted and he's not deemed good enough for the PL then at least he'd command a transfer fee (Something nominal would recoup his contract) then there's a thing called loyalty to a player who has performed well for the last 2 years.

If we don't manage promotion he's still a good squad player IMO.

"In the meantime, the club won’t be giving me a new contract.”

"Personally, I think I have done enough in the last two years to achieve another contract but you have to respect the manager’s opinion."

Nor should the club be giving him a new contract. 

If everything he says about it feeling right, enjoying playing for the club, manager and appreciated by the fans - then there's no rush. 

His deal is one he was happy to sign and has 12 months to run.

8 minutes ago, paddyowl said:

I would, if we're promoted and he's not deemed good enough for the PL then at least he'd command a transfer fee (Something nominal would recoup his contract) then there's a thing called loyalty to a player who has performed well for the last 2 years.

If we don't manage promotion he's still a good squad player IMO.

I get what you're saying - Just feel that standard contracts are not there to be used like bonus's. Hes done great - that was part of the original contract or plan though isn't it? I'd not be against it being used as a carrot, written into a contract like you see, in terms of achieve X and we deliver Y  Be that play XXX minutes, assist/score XXX goals etc. That way everyone knows before what the situation is. 

As at the moment my take is it's a bit unclear as he feels he deserves one. CC has said he needs to earn one... If he plays at the same level and we get promoted to you think we'll give him an extension? I'd guess not.  

We missed him so much when he went off against Hudds  , says it all really .

With all the money being sloshed about on dross another year for Wallace does not seem unreasonable  especially coming on a free .

Wallace is responsible for some very funny moments. pinching the note from the opposition player was classic Ross, the cheeky grin was perfect. He's been a good player for us and on last years form I'd keep him at the club.

Whether he can maintain his form isn't the issue, it's whether he can improve. We need to get better to get promoted, if that means replacing good players with better, so be it.

Come on Ross show us what you can do.