Sunderland fan here - Hope you're all well!

Hi people,

Always had a soft spot for Sheffield Wednesday as your support is great and you're a big club, excellent support, you always come down in your Thousands at the Stadium of Light in recent years and I love going to Hillsborough, looking forward to the game this season already!

I was watching your Play-offs and going out in Pens is just cruel, we (Sunderland) have went out at the exact same stage against Crystal Palace, I could barely function for a week.

Anyway, it's no secret we've been absolutely horrific in the Premiership, successive management failures and awful transfers finally caught up with us, as you know we've just appointed Grayson, low-key appointment, says the right stuff, hopefully he can sort out some huge ego's within our dressing room and sort a monumental change within our set up and structure.

So, which teams will be strong do you lot think? Obviously, yourselves, Boro, Villa, Birmingham perhaps? I thought you got a good deal getting Fletcher, he always did well for us, although we turned on him when he was more interested in taking pictures of his cars on Social Media, when we were getting beat week in - week out. I know he scored in the first leg in your Play-off v Huddersfield, how is he doing? I think, he's a good solid scorer for this level, is he still a lazy poopydoo? Ha.

Is your patience starting to run out with your Manager Carvalhal? From the little I saw of you last season, you seem to press teams and play fast, free flowing Football, but you seemed to lose your bottle in the Play-offs and were very cautious, is that fair? What's your hopes for this season? Hows the Transfer window went so far?

Honestly hope you go up (Although not at our cost mind ;)) I bet you can't wait for the Sheffield United games, what's your recent record against them? I know they've been in League 1 for the last few Seasons, but before that?

Best of luck for the new season and I'm happy to help when you need travel advice for our game at the SOL in April (I know it's a long way off)

**** the Mags!

Mark

Edited by SunderlandfanMark

Hi Markyes, yes, no, not yet, yes, yes, no, maybe, not really sure, yes, yes, yes oh yes, no.

looking forward to coming up to Sunderland though, always enjoyed that trip. Think you are in for a bit of a shock this league has changed massively since you were last in it. Think you will be here for a few years unless something dramatic ( like mr chansiri) happens for you.

The pressing football was more the year before. 

Some people aren't too happy with CC but I'm happy he is still here for sure. 

Fletchers goal against Huddersfield was the second leg and I think bringing him off changed the game for the worse but the less said about that the better let's leave it in the past. 

I will be lookokg forward to the joirney up to the stadium he stadium of light never been before and we should bring plenty of numbers. 

Hi Mark,

I'll be honest, its a tough league. Villa should be stronger this time around, personally I expect both Birmingham clubs to push one another. 

As for our manager, most still love him, me included. As for Grayson, I think that's quite a good appointment, he got Preston firing last season.

Never been to Sunderland, it's one I'd certainly like to cross off if the opportunity arose. Best of luck this season.

Hello Mark. Good friendly post.

If Fletcher was lazy for you then he has been transformed. Works his nads off here. Brave as a lion. 

His season got off to a staccato start as he kept picking up injuries, often through very brave challenges. Got better as the season went on, and towards the end became our best goal-threat. 

Good of luck to you guys. Perhaps Grayson's quiet pragmatism will be what you need rather than another hothead.

8 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Hi Markyes, yes, no, not yet, yes, yes, no, maybe, not really sure, yes, yes, yes oh yes, no.

looking forward to coming up to Sunderland though, always enjoyed that trip. Think you are in for a bit of a shock this league has changed massively since you were last in it. Think you will be here for a few years unless something dramatic ( like mr chansiri) happens for you.

Absolutely mate, some deluded Sunderland fans it'll be a case of straight back up first time of asking. Unfortunately, we're crippled with debt (Rumous that's it's 160m+) if we get off to a bad start we could easily get dragged in a relegation battle.

We've lost Defoe, Pickford, we've not replaced any of them, we're short in literally every department.

I still watch Championship and take a keen eye on it so I know you're bang on the money, it's changed a lot, very, very hard league and we're in for a reality check. I just hope we can adapt quickly.....Or else, long season beckons.

4 minutes ago, TheRedanator said:

Wolves, Villa, Fulham, Hull, Boro and hopefully us. Think it'll be a transitional season for Sunderland, but you could be competitive if the Pickford money and parachute payments are spent wisely.

I doubt it mate, that Pickford money will just pay off our debt, it's depressing how sad we've fallen over the years for a big club like us, soul destroying.

4 minutes ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

Are Everton selling any more past-it players? :tango:

Don't think there's any left for us to get, surprised we're not in for Duncan Ferguson...

McGeady,

Oviedo
Pienaar
Gibson

etc

How we honestly thought we could compete in the Premiership buying the Everton Pensioners club is bizarre and very, very frustrating.

1 minute ago, Maddogbob said:

Hi Mark,

I'll be honest, its a tough league. Villa should be stronger this time around, personally I expect both Birmingham clubs to push one another. 

As for our manager, most still love him, me included. As for Grayson, I think that's quite a good appointment, he got Preston firing last season.

Never been to Sunderland, it's one I'd certainly like to cross off if the opportunity arose. Best of luck this season.

Hi mate

Yep, we're in for a shock, we must start well.

Yeah, he done well for them, hopefully can install so much need passion. You should definitely come down mate, I'll help you out in any way I can of course, places to stay at, etc (If you want it of course, tell me to bugger off by all means)

Trying to respond to every post but this board is very popular, if I don't reply to everyone I'm not being ignorant.

Thanks for the kind welcome.

I fancy Sunderland for top six, Grayson is a shrewd appointment.

Interesting that you think Fletch is lazy, read the same thing from some wolves fans as well but he put some reyt shifts in for us last season 

Welcome Mark.

I think Boro have to be favourites this season, Fulham will be really strong if they carry their form into this season and it might come together for Villa. Fletcher had a bit of an up and down season, started well, then struggled, started to fall out of the side and finished the season as our in form striker scoring some important goals. 

Carlos got a lot of criticism last season from our fans, personally I thought it was harsh considering we spent the entire of it in the top 6. After so many years of disappointment we're just desperate to get back to the Premier League. Sunderland have probably had around 4 separate spells up there since we came down.

Looking forward to the Sheffield derbies, they've only won 1 of the last 8 against us and considering they will have been a better side for most of those it's a decent record really. Often seems to be the way though, the underdog gets the upper hand. 

Think it could a tough season for you this year, the spending power in the Championship is huge now with lots of expensively assembled squads. It's tough to bounce straight back despite your neighbours managing it last year.

edit - oh and please excuse Josh, he's the site bellend.

Edited by Whitechapel Owl

Nearest to living there  that I got was when up at Newcastle Uni, and lived in Shields (yes, the only one - South)Had several friends of both persuasions -Geordies and Makems but much preferred to go to good old Roker. Tha was a great place to go. Looking forward to visiting, and hopefully hammering, you - no offence meant - at the SoL which will be a new place for me.

As others have said, you could be in for a shock in the Championship. Its far more competitive than the Premiership, in that, halfway through, you will not know if you're fighting for promotion or to avoid relegation. Still, good luck. For me , it would be nice to see you and we battling for the top two spots. Probably best two sets of supporters in the Division.     

1 minute ago, lee81 said:

Interesting that you think Fletch is lazy, read the same thing from some wolves fans as well but he put some reyt shifts in for us last season 

Grayson has never ever finished in top six in this division,think his appointment as manager screams of "we're here for a few years,cos we now have to stop spaffing millions on cack" and grayson doesn't spend millions on players,i'd be pretty underwhelmed as a mackems fan,they'll be hard to beat as is the grayson way,but nah not for me

2 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

Grayson has never ever finished in top six in this division,think his appointment as manager screams of "we're here for a few years,cos we now have to stop spaffing millions on cack" and grayson doesn't spend millions on players,i'd be pretty underwhelmed as a mackems fan,they'll be hard to beat as is the grayson way,but nah not for me

Yeah if there's no money he'll struggle but surely Sunderland will spend a bit with the pickford money, on top of parachute payments. His PNE side were always competitive and they never spent much. 

Just now, lee81 said:

Yeah if there's no money he'll struggle but surely Sunderland will spend a bit with the pickford money, on top of parachute payments. His PNE side were always competitive and they never spent much. 

The fact they have given him the job should tell ya there's no money (of course they'll give him a bit,but nothing like the managers before were given),have said he'll make them a hard team to beat,but for a  relegated prem side with hopes of a quick return,nobody would have thought of Grayson.

12 minutes ago, lee81 said:

Yeah, very lazy, although he did score against Newcastle so he's forgiven (Partly) Ha. But no, seriously, yeah he was a lazy bugger, walking around the pitch, moaning about being fouled all the time, barely breaking into a jog to get the ball back when he lost it, his heart just didn't seem in it at the end. But, from what you're saying, he's completely changed and seems really happy at your club, pleased for him, there's no doubt, he's a very proven and prolific goal-scorer and excellent in the air.

12 minutes ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

Welcome Mark.

I think Boro have to be favourites this season, Fulham will be really strong if they carry their form into this season and it might come together for Villa. Fletcher had a bit of an up and down season, started well, then struggled, started to fall out of the side and finished the season as our in form striker scoring some important goals. 

Carlos got a lot of criticism last season from our fans, personally I thought it was harsh considering we spent the entire of it in the top 6. After so many years of disappointment we're just desperate to get back to the Premier League. Sunderland have probably had around 4 separate spells up there since we came down.

Looking forward to the Sheffield derbies, they've only won 1 of the last 8 against us and considering they will have been a better side for most of those it's a decent record really. Often seems to be the way though, the underdog gets the upper hand. 

Think it could a tough season for you this year, the spending power in the Championship is huge now with lots of expensively assembled squads. It's tough to bounce straight back despite your neighbours managing it last year.

edit - oh and please excuse Josh, he's the site bellend.

Hi Pal

Yeah, can't disagree with any of that, Boro have kept most of their squad together and look very strong. It's a disgrace how you haven't been in the Premiership for so long when there's small teams like Fulham, Wigan, Burnley, Bournemouth all recently had spells in the Prem.

I hope you finally get your act together this season.

It's the complete unknown for Sunderland, I have no idea how this season will pan out, hopefully we'll consolidate a decent finish and make a proper Promotion attempt next Season. After becoming a laughing stock last year, it'll be nice just to win a few games, I've forgot how it feels to 'win'.

No worries pal, every Forum has one! Surprised I haven't got worse!