July 1st 1992 - the Messiah arrived.

A great player. I remember seeing some of his goals for Marseilles before he joined us and thinking to myself what a top player he was. And then not long later we signed him. You can't believe how buzzed I was, what an incredible signing it was at the time. In today's game it would be the equivalent of us signing Bale when he's in his 30s. Waddle was a brilliant player, unselfish; skilful and he had a great eye for a pass. Having Sheridan and Waddle in the same team was a dream to watch and it must have been any strikers dream come true whilst they were both in the team. He was quite a character too. The likes of Waddle; Sheridan, Hirst, Palmer, Harkes, Nilsson and Pressman bring back fond memories of when I was growing up and we were one of the top teams in the top flight playing some incredible football to watch. Those were the days but it also shows how competitive and tough football was back then, that we don't have much to show for having that brilliant team and some top players.

That 5-0 game against West Ham at Hillsborough though, any player in the world past or present would have been delighted with that performance.

David Burrows was playing left back for West Ham that night and when he finally hacked down Waddle in sheer frustation near the end of the game, the referee was smiling at Burrows as he gave him him the yellow card as if to say "I don't blame you lad I'd have kicked him up in the air as well" :biggrin:

13 minutes ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

That 5-0 game against West Ham at Hillsborough though, any player in the world past or present would have been delighted with that performance.

David Burrows was playing left back for West Ham that night and when he finally hacked down Waddle in sheer frustation near the end of the game, the referee was smiling at Burrows as he gave him him the yellow card as if to say "I don't blame you lad I'd have kicked him up in the air as well" :biggrin:

That was a great performance and one of many.

If the ref had done that, it would have ironically been the opposite of the comical Di Canio incident lol

2 minutes ago, abdiwonderland said:

I was kidding! Which true Wednesday fan has a genuine bad word for Waddle? Come on mate!! 

Yes I know you was, but I couldn't say all above which would have included your post.