League One side Shrewsbury Town first in England to apply for rail seats

28 minutes ago, VBQ24 said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40413087

Hopefully a step in the right direction.

The Kop would look fantastic with the middle two blocks all stood.

It wouldn't work like that, the fans sat in the other blocks to the side would not be able to see all of the pitch. They could make all of the rear tier of the Kop standing, or one end were the Band are.

Don't think we'd ever get approval for an area of safe standing, even if Leppings Lane was knocked down and rebuilt. There's far too much stigma attached to Hillsborough. I could only see it happening if we moved stadia, and even then I think it's a long shot. Can you imagine the outcry. 

Good luck to them.

All seater stadiums have had a huge detrimental affect on the atmosphere in stadiums. Although I don't think I'd go back to standing now, I used to love standing on the Kop and would love Wednesday fans to at least be given that option again.

Shrewsbury have a new stadium with modern concourses etc.but applying doesn't mean the application will be granted.

Hillsborough as it stands at the moment would never get approval for safe standing. Reasons are obvious.

Guest addedtime

They would be perfect for me. I prefer standing, but, at the ripe old age of 43, my back isn't brilliant. So a quick sit down now and again to take the weight off would be great.

If this comes off and it spreads I for one am all for it. We have to move on from 1989 and I can predict Liverpool will be one of the first clubs in the Prem to adopt this if it takes off.  They already stand on their kop every match as it is disregarding any safety issues.

1 hour ago, SupremeOwl said:

I think realistically, we will be the last club to get this even if it does make it starts to get implemented on a larger scale.

Agreed, personally if I'm paying £39 for a ticket, I  want a seat anyway please.

1 hour ago, Blatter said:

Shrewsbury have a new stadium with modern concourses etc.but applying doesn't mean the application will be granted.

Hillsborough as it stands at the moment would never get approval for safe standing. Reasons are obvious.

So it wouldn't hurt to spell them out then would it ? IYO of course.

32 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

So it wouldn't hurt to spell them out then would it ? IYO of course.

Old stadium with poor segregation and narrow concourses and an understandably cautious approach of governing authorities following Hillsborough disaster.

1 hour ago, Blatter said:

Old stadium with poor segregation and narrow concourses and an understandably cautious approach of governing authorities following Hillsborough disaster.

Prior to THE DISASTER Hillsborough experienced the problem once before and luck rather than judgement got us off the hook. Once the fences were erected it was obvious to most of us old timers with extensive ground experience that the critical part of the machinery were the drop bolts on the inside of the tunnel doors. Had the commander of the day given the instruction to put the drop bolts in place prior to opening the outer gates 96 People would have returned to Liverpool that day.

All the rest is shame faced guilt combined with paranoia. Hillsborough has 5 approaches to the ground, more than most modern grounds and a willingness to work with the QANGO SAG; But all they seem to do is avoid a uniform strategy and treat each game as a flipping war strategy ! 

5 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Prior to THE DISASTER Hillsborough experienced the problem once before and luck rather than judgement got us off the hook. Once the fences were erected it was obvious to most of us old timers with extensive ground experience that the critical part of the machinery were the drop bolts on the inside of the tunnel doors. Had the commander of the day given the instruction to put the drop bolts in place prior to opening the outer gates 96 People would have returned to Liverpool that day.

All the rest is shame faced guilt combined with paranoia. Hillsborough has 5 approaches to the ground, more than most modern grounds and a willingness to work with the QANGO SAG; But all they seem to do is avoid a uniform strategy and treat each game as a flipping war strategy ! 

If someone asked me which grounds were dangerous prior to the disaster, Hillsborough would not have been one of them I would have mentioned.  

I experienced many dodgy crowding issues (in retrospect) at different grounds, Anfield being one of them.