Lets buy a top CB this summer and play 3 at the back

Play him along side Lee's with Hutchinson at CM also in the middle off the 2

Have no full backs but play reach on the left and a new right sided winger who can cross and tackle on the right

Lets play like Chelsea and smash the league!

in Sam Hutchinson, we have the player to make this work in my opinion. Lets do it WAWAW

14 minutes ago, swfc.4.ever said:

Have no full backs but play reach on the left and a new right sided winger who can cross and tackle on the right

in Sam Hutchinson, we have the player to make this work in my opinion. Lets do it WAWAW

You want a new winger on the right that can cross and tackle yet you say let's put reach on the left ..... who can't cross and tackle?

Edited by WayneTheOwl

2 minutes ago, WayneTheOwl said:

You want a new winger on the right that can cross and tackle yet you say let's put reach on the left ..... who can't cross and tackle?

We paid a lot for Reach, he is young and I think he will come good for us.  Besides, when he has played left back and overlapped last season he seemed to get more time to cross and looked a threat. Hopefully 3 CB setup like Chelsea play would also give him the extra time to cross but not leave him exposed defensively like he seems to be at LB in a back 4.

28 minutes ago, swfc.4.ever said:

Simmer down pal

To play three at the back effectively we also need to upgrade our full backs/wing backs and if Hutchinson reverts back into defence then we need a replacement in midfield too. I would like us to change formation and tactics, and be more dominant and attacking. But it all depends upon getting the player recruitment right. Otherwise bring in some better players to suit the way we play now but play more balanced.

We do need a good championship CB - probably 2 - but we already have many players who would thrive in systems beyond a fairly rigid (if lop-sided) 4-4-2

I still think we could have done even better last season if CC had been more imaginative in his formation

11 minutes ago, Justbeanz said:

Love Hutch but l have to question the logic of building a team around a player that is so prone to injury and suspension.

You simply can't.

Played 2/3 of last season and less the 1/2 of the previous season.

He is a special player who can do a job nobody else can, but should be saved for those games imo.

I have no idea why he plays CDM in a 442 at home to moderate teams for example. A CDM should be unnecessary in many games.

Edited by Holmowl

I'm not sure about three at the back, but a top class new centre back would be welcome. Lees and Loovens are two good centre backs, and more importantly, a good pairing. As a pairing, the only area where they are slightly vulnerable, is in the air. Neither are weak in the air, but neither are they particularly dominant. For me, playing three at the back, doesn't make teams more secure, it's primary function is to get extra numbers into midfield. Indeed, that's what Carlos is trying to achieve with his narrow wingers.

If it's our desire to see a more attacking set up, I think there is a better way to do it, using two compatible centre backs. I'm not particularly convinced that two up front gives you a more potent attack. The most fluent attacking sides, generally play with one up front with numbers in midfield, 2 with predominantly defensive duties, and 3 playing behind the striker

12 minutes ago, alanharper said:

I don't know why we don't just, like, buy all the Chelsea team and play their formation. 

"Whatever it takes", he said lol

its not just Chelsea, look at the up turn in form Arsenal got at the end of last season when they made the change.

3 minutes ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

To play three at the back effectively we also need to upgrade our full backs/wing backs and if Hutchinson reverts back into defence then we need a replacement in midfield too. I would like us to change formation and tactics, and be more dominant and attacking. But it all depends upon getting the player recruitment right. Otherwise bring in some better players to suit the way we play now but play more balanced.

Think it mostly depends on Carlos and whether he is comfortable playing that formation. Look at Chelsea, If I would have said to you at the start of the season they were going to win the league playing Bolton reject Alonso and Mr loan, Moses as they wingback you would have laughed at me. It works because the manager makes it work, and the players are fit and disciplined. You have to know how to play the formation inside out to be really be successful at it. which is why Carlos may not change. 

1 minute ago, swfc.4.ever said:

would he be as injury prone as a CB?

Honestly don't know mate but in my opinion too much of a risk to start off relying on him and then losing him for four or five games. A center back n dominant midfielder have to be top priority signings along with a new lb and winger that can supply our strikers.