Portugal roll call

4 minutes ago, Grimbarian said:

lol not sure 37 hours of driving can classify as within driving distance ;)

Haha....I've just looked up the journey now. That is some drive. ~3600Km? 8 country's (including Sweden and PT)?

PS. I obviously did realise it was a major trip when I posted my 1st comment btw. I know you saw the saaaarcasm.

Edited by ChapSmurf

4 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

Haha....I've just looked up the journey now. That is some drive. ~3600Km? 8 country's (including Sweden and PT)?

PS. I obviously did realise it was a major trip when I posted my 1st comment btw. I know you saw the saaaarcasm.

Six countries :)

2 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Thats quite a treck - through Denmark, Germany, France into Spain and then Portugal?  

Yep that's exactly the route we're taking, moving to Portugal with our dogs so flying isn't an option, friend is driving us as we don't drive, renting a Volvo estate from Hertz in Sweden and leaving it at Vigo airport :)

3 minutes ago, Grimbarian said:

Yep that's exactly the route we're taking, moving to Portugal with our dogs so flying isn't an option, friend is driving us as we don't drive, renting a Volvo estate from Hertz in Sweden and leaving it at Vigo airport :)

Ah, I added Holland and Belgium in to the mix as it was the shortest route (according to Google).

So are you moving to Portugal? If so, ben-vindo ao Portugal. :manager:

2 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

Ah, I added Holland and Belgium in to the mix as it was the shortest route (according to Google).

So are you moving to Portugal? If so, ben-vindo ao Portugal. :manager:

Yep we are, my wife is going to study for a PhD at Porto Uni so we're going to live in one of the beach towns to the south within commuting distance :)

10 minutes ago, Grimbarian said:

Nice - and much more intersting than flying too.  

4 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Nice - and much more intersting than flying too.  

Well I hate flying so there's that! My Mum's 70 and doesn't feel comfortable travelling alone so my wife's flying to pick her up and then I'm flying to take her back in September so not really looking forward to flying there and back between Porto and Manchester on consecutive days!

11 minutes ago, Grimbarian said:

Yep we are, my wife is going to study for a PhD at Porto Uni so we're going to live in one of the beach towns to the south within commuting distance :)

Fantastic. Good for you and good luck to your wife with her Doctorate. Porto is a beautiful city, heavily influenced by the French during their occupation, but very vibrant with plenty of great places to eat and drink. Casagrícola is a great bar in the evening although it is a little out of the centre. I do appreciate you said you would be living out of Porto itself.

Once settled I can recommend a trip to the Douro, where all the Port grapes are grown. Just don't go to Nazare in winter. The largest wave ever surfed in the world (at the time, not sure about now), was there, only a few years ago.

w458w4-750x500.jpg