Sheffield Wednesday, black and mixed race players

This is a sensitive topic, but one that I hope we can discuss rationally, without kneejerk reactions. As a club, we don't really reflect the multi cultural society we live in, either in terms of personnel, or even the fan base. Do we think these statistics are linked? Nowadays, the make up of the average city based club is, according to statistics, around 32% black or mixed race per average first team squad. In youth football, I haven't seen the statistics, but I would imagine the percentage would be higher

We fall short, well short, in both the make up of the first team squad, and the players who have academy contracts. I'm not suggesting there is anything malevolent going on, but it's a surprising stat nonetheless. Is this just an anominaly, or are we missing a trick when it comes to youth recruitment. Our city neighbours aren't much better, but have in recent times, produced the likes of Walker, Naughton, and more recently Calvin-Lewis. I have no idea whether this is reflected in the make up of people who watch them, but I've long thought that, without any real role models, we struggle to attract many black/mixed race fans. Of course, colour or creed doesn't really matter, but football should, and generally does, reflect what's happening in society

Edited by gurujuan

Our society should be meritocratic, and football, as a sporting competition, should reflect this. Tokenism is racism.

Do you watch football for the football or for the arbitrary characteristics of the players?

The notion that the white-skinned members of our society aren't representative of multiculturalism is non-inclusive.

39 minutes ago, adifferentgame said:

Our society should be meritocratic, and football, as a sporting competition, should reflect this. Tokenism is racism.

Do you watch football for the football or for the arbitrary characteristics of the players?

The notion that the white-skinned members of our society aren't representative of multiculturalism is non-inclusive.

No, totally agree, but........

At youth level the club prefer to sign already technically gifted kids who have been coached from a young age.

I know certain people have brought in "raw athletes" who aren't so technically gifted to the club but the coaches don't want to know. The scouts arguement is these raw players should be getting coached into better players but it's not happening.

Saying that we have signed a fair few mixed race/ethnic players for the younger ages recently.

Just now, gurujuan said:

No, totally agree, but........

But we've got Englishmen, Scotsmen, Argentinian-Italians (or is it Italian-Argentinians?), Portuguese, Kosovan, Irish, Swiss, Welsh, Dutch, Czechs (I miss anyone) representing us, as well as fans of all hues and nationalities around the world. Our stadium stalwarts are drawn from the local population and so reflect geographical locality rather than the entire nation.

It is what it is. No need to introduce "racial bias" or whatever into the equation.

Talked about this a few times last season when we often fielded an all white starting 11. Not because it was bad or good, just the fact that you dont see it very often in todays game.

40 minutes ago, adifferentgame said:

But we've got Englishmen, Scotsmen, Argentinian-Italians (or is it Italian-Argentinians?), Portuguese, Kosovan, Irish, Swiss, Welsh, Dutch, Czechs (I miss anyone) representing us, as well as fans of all hues and nationalities around the world. Our stadium stalwarts are drawn from the local population and so reflect geographical locality rather than the entire nation.

It is what it is. No need to introduce "racial bias" or whatever into the equation.

I disagree, walk around Sheffield, our crowds don't reflect the local population

I don't know the academy stats but from a supporters point of view the Owls have always seemed to me totally inclusive. I'm not English, have a black partner and mixed race kids. We've always felt totally welcome at games, and part of a big mix of people, cultures and races (whatever that means).  As for players the Sheffield public have idolised Carlton, Mark Bright, Des Walker and all the other black or mixed race players. If there are fewer of one race than another at Hillsborough then so far as I see it this would reflect cultural preferences rather than anything at the club. I know the OP wasn't written with any bad intent but I don't think there's an issue to discuss and I'm worried that raising this may encourage some people to see things that aren't there. 

Very little overt racism in the game now except for players who use it for 'sledging' purposes...until we all own up to our own attitudes of discrimination then there will always be a level of racism in the crowd. Tipping point will be reached but maybe take another generation.

The club should give en equal opportunity to all young players...and my guess is they do. As for first team recruitment we get the best we can irrespective of 'colour'.

It's a small minority in the crowd but they stick around like sheite to a blanket. I'm proud of just how inclusive Sheffield is. Non issue for the majority of people.

41 minutes ago, adifferentgame said:

I prefer data to anecdotes. The most recent census suggests Sheffield is 83% white.

Even if that census is correct, it's not reflected in the make up of our crowds 

2 minutes ago, No 2 is r nilsson said:

I don't know the academy stats but from a supporters point of view the Owls have always seemed to me totally inclusive. I'm not English, have a black partner and mixed race kids. We've always felt totally welcome at games, and part of a big mix of people, cultures and races (whatever that means). 

And I'm sure you'd be welcome to come round for a cuppa and a rich tea in the eyes of most of our fans.

2 minutes ago, No 2 is r nilsson said:

As for players the Sheffield public have idolised Carlton, Mark Bright, Des Walker and all the other black or mixed race players.

Where's the love for Viv!

Just now, gurujuan said:

Even if that census is correct, it's not reflected in the make up of our crowds 

Because ethnicity isn't the sole factor in football support.

How many Owls have a tradition of support they can trace back to great-grandparents? What were the demographics 50 years ago? You're effectively complaining that ethnic minorities aren't adopting your pseudo-religion and converting to the One True Faith of WAWAW.

38 minutes ago, adifferentgame said:

Because ethnicity isn't the sole factor in football support.

How many Owls have a tradition of support they can trace back to great-grandparents? What were the demographics 50 years ago? You're effectively complaining that ethnic minorities aren't adopting your pseudo-religion and converting to the One True Faith of WAWAW.

Not complaining, comparing