JJ Strikes!

1 hour ago, Owl At Risk said:

Overrated by who?

I can't seem to recall anything but universal acknowledgement of his weaknesses by our fans.

The flip side of the coin is that his talents (pace, occasional screaming goals (and yes, well all also acknowledge that 9 out of 10 shots ended up row Z)) brought us some at least some joy in often dark and dour times. 

Yep , when jj got the ball he was the only player who got the fans stood up because we knew that it was more than likely going to end up at the back of the kop but occasionally it would burst the back of the net or be a pin point laser cross . We have far better players and a far better squad now but at the moment we have no one that gets everyone excited the second he gets the ball . I'm not for a second suggesting that jj should come back but I'm glad we had him .

6 hours ago, PARKOWL said:

WOW just WOW

if JJ had one good game (and that was a good game by his standards which weren't high ) hed be sh!~e for the next 7 ,the man could run but 95% of the time if you'd opened the gates he'd have carried on through them

A young JJ, a middle aged JJ or an old JJ wouldn't get near the training ground let alone the team

A very average player in a below average time in our history

So why did most, if not all fans, shuffle to the edge of their seat whenever he got possession ?

Weel done JJ rispec

I member dem tings on u facebook page

used to like dem all time

mad love 

Tivoli legned and SWFC legned

1 love swfc tgfc JAMAICA

3 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

So why did most, if not all fans, shuffle to the edge of their seat whenever he got possession ?

Remember when we were crap? JJ wasn't, he was a shining light in the darkness when he was fit. Always exciting and unpredictable.

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

How have we got this far into a JJ thread and nobody's posted this video!?

Just shows how misleading you tube can be. After watching that I'm convinced JJ must have been worth 20 million. 

2 hours ago, Hawkowl said:

Just shows how misleading you tube can be. After watching that I'm convinced JJ must have been worth 20 million. 

Maguire is seventeen million so if jj could have pulled that off most matches he'd fetch more than pogba and aguero together :manager:

Some truly stupid comments here.

jj scored goals, created goals and was an outlet.

was he a world beater ? No. He was mentally very weak but he cost a tracksuit and packet of stickers from Bradford , not 20 million.

would I have jj ahead of reach on the wing? Every single minute of every single game, yes. 

Loved him, listen to all the International footballers on here hammering a lad who played most of his career in the 2nd tier of England and played for his country on a regular basis. 

Just for information sakes thats a very good level and quite some distance from a kick about with your mates on the park.

JJ was unpredictable and inconsistent, he was also amazing at times.

Id say one of our most underrated players over the last few decades.

On 14/06/2017 at 11:58, striker said:

Not the most talented footballer but made the most of what he had. One of few during the dark times that had me off my seat when he started running at the opposition...OK most shots wayward but at least he had a pop and he did score some crackers. Lovely bloke away from the pitch too, always had time for fans, have a lot of respect for JJ and his time with us. 

I'd say JOC "made the most of what he had." If JJ could ever have consistently played near his talent then he'd have been Premier League. I think we took JJ's dribbling at pace for granted, how many times did you see him just knock it 10 - 20 yards in front of his marker and just run after it like lots of pacey players do? I don't think I could recall one time, the ball was always under control when he was running with it at frightening speed...what came at the end of it was a different matter but that's why I loved him. With a few exceptions (Brunty, Whelan, Marshall and Antonio.) I generally expected the square root of sweet f.a out of the rest garbage he played with. Just to have someone who on his day was capable of a standard far in advance of the league he was playing in was good enough for me no matter how fleeting those days were. I also happen to think that when he had an average game people would mark him down as being crap when he was no better or worse than those around him. 

On 2017-6-14 at 13:35, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

In the 2 years Carlos has been here, we've never been a team with pace - perhaps that's not his style?

I'd like pace in the squad, but they have to be able to do something else as well.

With the money DC is prepared to splurge on players it's clear we could have got such a player but clearly Carlos has an in-built, imo irrational fear of playing pacy wingers (or wingers at all).