Why do people expect Abdi to be so good next year

Amazed to see two posts on here talking about Abdi and how he will be the midfielder we need next year and how excited they are to see Abdi fit and get a run of games. I would love this to happen and for Abdi to suddenly produce top draw performances for us. But I cannot fathom for a second what people have seen to suggest that this WILL happen.

I would like nothing more than a top draw midfielder that we don’t even need to spend money on as he is already at the club. However, I have not seen anything from him to suggest that WILL happen.

Surely this is simply a case of Wednesday fans wanting a fashionable big money signing to get into the side. It’s a bit pathetic really.

Again, I would love nothing more than for Abdi to suddenly be a top class championship midfielder.

1 minute ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Is there a coherent point you're trying to make?

Is it really pathetic to believe one of our players will do next season?

Blimey

I am trying to work out what we have seen from Abdi to suggest he will be a good player for us next season.

He was really starting to get into top gear before he got injured. That goal he scored away at Forest... blimey. From what we've seen we've got a player who will effortlessly keep possession ticking over in midfield because he never misplaces a pass. Not afraid to get forward and scare the opposition defence either.

42 minutes ago, Fibonacci91 said:

Amazed to see two posts on here talking about Abdi and how he will be the midfielder we need next year and how excited they are to see Abdi fit and get a run of games. I would love this to happen and for Abdi to suddenly produce top draw performances for us. But I cannot fathom for a second what people have seen to suggest that this WILL happen.

I would like nothing more than a top draw midfielder that we don’t even need to spend money on as he is already at the club. However, I have not seen anything from him to suggest that WILL happen.

Surely this is simply a case of Wednesday fans wanting a fashionable big money signing to get into the side. It’s a bit pathetic really.

Again, I would love nothing more than for Abdi to suddenly be a top class championship midfielder.

Well, you can say the same about Jordan Rhodes, and he cost a heck of a lot more Suppose what I'm trying to say is, both players have been game changers for their previous clubs, but both require something different tactically to be able to show their best.

Just now, Groundhopping Owl said:

He was really starting to get into top gear before he got injured. That goal he scored away at Forest... blimey. From what we've seen we've got a player who will effortlessly keep possession ticking over in midfield because he never misplaces a pass. Not afraid to get forward and scare the opposition defence either.

To suggest he never gives the ball away implies you didnt go to many games he played in last season

He is and always has been a top class championship midfielder, in fact he held his own for Watford in the PL.

Knowing what he's capable of, it's only natural people are hoping he can find that level again for us, especially considering how little attacking threat we offered from that area last season.

Personally I'm concerned that there might be a serious fitness issue with Abdi, probably why we were able to sign him in the first place as a lot were surprised Watford let him go.

Hopefully not though as if he can get a good run of games and play his best football, he will be exactly the sort of player we need, big IF at the moment though.

Just now, gurujuan said:

Well, you can say the same about Jordan Rhodes, and he cost a heck of a lot more Suppose what I'm trying to say is, both players have been game changers for their previous clubs, but both require something different tactically to be able to show their best.

fair point. I think Rhodes hasnt neccessarilly played badly he just doesnt get the chances. Abdi gave the ball away a lot and was incredibly lightweight in a 2 man midfield

Just now, Lee A said:

He is and always has been a top class championship midfielder, in fact he held his own for Watford in the PL.

Knowing what he's capable of, it's only natural people are hoping he can find that level again for us, especially considering how little attacking threat we offered from that area last season.

Personally I'm concerned that there might be a serious fitness issue with Abdi, probably why we were able to sign him in the first place as a lot were surprised Watford let him go.

Hopefully not though as if he can get a good run of games and play his best football, he will be exactly the sort of player we need, big IF at the moment though.

If he can play as well as he has played in the past then yes absolutely but to base a guess that he WILL play well for wednesday next year based on form FOR WEDNESDAY, which has been poor, is insane.

38 minutes ago, Fibonacci91 said:

fair point. I think Rhodes hasnt neccessarilly played badly he just doesnt get the chances. Abdi gave the ball away a lot and was incredibly lightweight in a 2 man midfield

Fully agree, a two man midfield doesn't suit Abdi, and the way our forwards are encouraged to play, doesn't particularly suit Rhodes. That's the conundrum Carlos has to sort out. Does he tweak things to get the best out of Abdi, or change things to suit Rhodes. He could also stick with his game plan that suits neither

Same reason Joao is going to score 25 goals for us next season, Lees will get an England call up and Hirst is going to be our highest all time goal scorer. 

note: Lees is class and Hirst could well turn out to be a brilliant striker.

29 minutes ago, Fibonacci91 said:

Did you see him play for Watford?

I assume not. 

He was part of a brilliant team that got promoted to the PL. And then he played 30 odd games for them in the PL. 

He is a good player, not an FF type where you see him skipping past players. He's an intelligent player. 

Our midfield should be built around him, OR let him go. Because trying to shoe horn him into a midfield of Bannan, Hutch and Lee won't work. 

37 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Fully agree, a two man midfield doesn't suit Abdi, and the way our forwards are encouraged to play, doesn't particularly suit Rhodes. That's the conundrum Carlos has to sort out. Does he tweak things to get the best out of Abdi, or change things to suit Rhodes. He could also stick with his game plan that suits neither

We will not go up if we don't score alot more goals. 

That simple really.... And we already have the best strikers in the Division.......