Roland Nilsson first player on the dream wall

1 hour ago, ashamanic said:

Would have been nice if they'd bothered to say what the "dream Scene" was, instead of just assuming everyone already knew

It's described in detail and there's even a sneak peek of it on the artists blog: http://www.jamiecooperartist.com/swfc/ 

He describes it as the dressing room of dreams, in a post match celebration, with various iconic players in striking recognisable poses to depict visually different memorable parts of the club's history.

Guest Ferkorf

These were my picks I first started going to games with my dad in 89. I wish I had replaced Bullen with Des Walker though. Curran and Quixall are in there as I thought it would be fair to save two spaces for players that weren't within my timeline.

Obviously I'm another fan thats biased towards the class of the 90's but really couldn't think of anyone other than Bullen of more recent times.

I think they will put a current player on though as they have with other clubs they have done.

1- Terry Curran

2- Roland Nilson
3- Kevin Pressman
4- Carlton Palmer
5- Lee Bullen
6- Paulo Di Canio
7- Albert Quixall
8- Chris Waddle
9- David Hirst
10- John Sheridan

Di Canio pushing Alcock over? My list, if we're going for an XI:

1- Terry Curran

2- Roland Nillson
3- Kevin Pressman
4- Carlton Palmer
5- Lee Bullen
6- Nigel Pearson
7 and 11- (someone from ye olden days - Jimmy Seed? Andrew Wilson? Quixall/ Froggatt/Blenkinsop?) Dunsby to pick two, I think.
8- Chris Waddle
9- David Hirst
10- John Sheridan
11 - Kieran Lee

4 hours ago, Beavertown said:

These were my picks I first started going to games with my dad in 89. I wish I had replaced Bullen with Des Walker though. Curran and Quixall are in there as I thought it would be fair to save two spaces for players that weren't within my timeline.

Obviously I'm another fan thats biased towards the class of the 90's but really couldn't think of anyone other than Bullen of more recent times.

I think they will put a current player on though as they have with other clubs they have done.

1- Terry Curran

2- Roland Nilson
3- Kevin Pressman
4- Carlton Palmer
5- Lee Bullen
6- Paulo Di Canio
7- Albert Quixall
8- Chris Waddle
9- David Hirst
10- John Sheridan

I like that you included Curran and Quixall.

Did your dad tell you about them?

Here's my vote, I found it extremely difficult to just pick 10. Unlike you, I only picked 2 modern players, as I thought most people would vote for players from the 90s or 80s, and I thought it would be sad if there weren't many players from the club's most successful years.

In no particular order I voted for: Fred Spiksley; Tommy Crawshaw, Andrew Wilson, Ernie Blenkinsop, Ellis Rimmer, Derek Dooley, Ron Springett, Johnny Fantham, Roland Nilsson and David Hirst.

Nilsson and Hirst were my favourites among the players I have seen in my lifetime. Nilsson had the pedigree, whilst Hirst was so exciting and a cult legend for going in goal, and scoring with a broken ankle, etc. I picked Springett and Fantham from the 60s because Ron Springett was part of the England World Cup winning squad and arguably our best ever goalkeeper. Fantham is our all post-war top scorer. I picked Dooley from the 50s because of his remarkable and inspirational life. He's a true Steel City legend, admired by both sides of the city. After having his career cut short cruelly after being a prolific goalscorer. He managed us and he also became chairman of the Blunts.

From the club's most successful years, I picked Rimmer because he scored in every round of the FA Cup the last time we won it; Andrew Wilson had to be included because he holds the club records for most goals and appearances, Blenkinsop was a great full back who represented and captained England during his playing career he was said to have been one of England's best ever full backs, Crawshaw was a colossal centre back for club and country and Spiksley was a goal scoring flying winger and one of football's earliest stars.

If we ever did have a statue then I think the likes of Spiksley; Crawshaw, Andrew Wilson, Blenkinsop or Rimmer would have to be considered, considering their remarkable achievements. But I do think that the dream scene is a good way to honour the club's history, especially if some of the club's true legends from it's most successful years are included.

I've seen some great players play for Wednesday, and a lot of rubbish too

I will be 59 later this year, and of the players I've seen, these are the one's who would make my list

Nilsson = Classiest fullback we've had, easily the best full back in the premier league at that time, and represented his country many times

Hirst = For my money, better than Shearer, and unlike Shearer, could thump goals in with either foot

Waddle = In my opinion, the best player I've ever seen in a Wednesday shirt, and England international too

Springett = My father used to sing his praises, by far my father's best player, world cup winner too, dad also loved Swan, Lane, and Don Megson

So that's it for my lifetime, 4 truly world class players

If Sheridan gets in, I won't argue because he was an international, and he scored the only cup winning goal in my lifetime, his passing was pretty special too

Fred Spikesley = Although I never saw him, I've heard a lot about him, Champions of England twice, he's an absolute must

Players like Semedo, Bullen et al, should be nowhere near this list

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

1 hour ago, joelswfc said:

Presume this has been mentioned somewhere else, but just in case it hasn't Ron Springett is the next player on the dream scene wall. True Wednesday legend.

Great choice and nice to see the 60's and 90's covered, hopefully we will also see a great from the 30's or earlier during the club's most successful years. I'm really hoping the likes of Spiksley and Blenkinsop are included, considering what they did for the club and all the honours they achieved. Good to see a Swedish legend and a World Cup Winner included. Two players with proper pedigree that had to be included. 

Edited by Milan Missing Marble

Just now, BarnOwl55 said:

If they had left Ron Springett off the list I would have become a blade....................sorry meant to say 'used a blade'

........to slit my wrists

Springett was a must, only player in our history to win a world cup winners medal

Noticed above, someone suggesting Kieran Lee

Neither he, or anyone else in our current side would have got into the 91-93 side

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

1 minute ago, HOOTIE AND THE bobbar TU said:

Springett was a must, only player in our history to win a world cup winners medal

Noticed above, someone suggesting Kieran Lee

Neither he, or anyone else in our current side would have got into the 91-93 side

Spot on............there are some crazy suggestions here but you can't blame people really if they don't have a feel for earlier years in the club's history.  Compared to 70s/80s and late 90s and this century, Kieran Lee is not a bd shout.................................bu**er me, I have just realised as I wrote this that it's almost 50 years without a team apart from the blip in the early 90s:rolleyes::rolleyes:

So, So pleased that my all-time favourite (and I sawALL his career at SW0)has been included. Even my Dad, long gone now, finally agreed with me that Ron was actually better than Jack Brown from the 30's side. Unfortunately, as I understand it, the scene will be set in the Dressing room, and will not include what, to me, is Springett, is the one on the pitch with him making his horizontal save.

Andrew Wilson HAS to be on this. The club's all time leading goal scorer with 216, and 199 of those goals coming in the top division. 

Also he's made the most appearances of any Wednesday player ever with 545 appearances.