Roland Nilsson first player on the dream wall

Great choice and a true modern Wednesday and Swedish legend. Our best foreign player by a mile, the only other foreign player that comes near his achievements was John Harkes. Personally I'm glad Roland's included in the dream sequence, he deserves his place in the mural. I do however, really hope that isn't just full of 1990s era players?

Has although I do feel Nilsson; Waddle, Hirst, Sheridan and Harkes, are most deserving of a place out of our modern players, there are so many other players in our club's distant past that have achieved much more for club and country. I do think Nilsson is the most deserving out of our modern players and foreign players, he had to be included. However, I do hope there's a place on our dream sequence for legends such as Springett; Fantham, Quixall, Dooley, Jackie Robinson, Rimmer, Blenkinsop, Andrew Wilson, Crawshaw and Spiksley, etc. None the less I'm looking forward to seeing the completed artwork and excited about the clubs 150th anniversary.

He's the best right back i've seen play for us.

Sterland was also very good but i saw Nilsson play a lot more.

Didn't he play for Sweden the night before the FA cup final replay in 93?

1 hour ago, Etchesketch said:

John Harkes?  Solid, useful member of the squad but I have never heard him mentioned as a great before!

I didn't say great, although he was one of my favourite players from the 90s team but Roland Nilsson was great.

But John Harkes achieved around the same level of success during his career for club and country.

In terms of our foreign players, he's one of our most decorated players but Roland Nilsson was a much better player and our best ever foreign player.

I hear a lot of people go on about the likes of Carbone and Di Canio but they never achieved anywhere near the same success as Nilsson or Harkes.

John Harkes' honours and achievements:

Sheffield Wednesday: Football League Cup: 1990—91; Runner-up 1992–93 FA Cup: Runner-up 1992–93

D.C. United: MLS Cup: 1996, 1997 U.S. Open Cup: 1996 MLS Supporters' Shield: 1997 CONCACAF Champions' Cup: 1998

Columbus Crew: U.S. Open Cup: 2002

United States national team: FIFA Confederations Cup: Third Place 1992, 1999

Internationally he had around 90 caps and 6 goals, he was named a captain for life of his national team and he appeared in two World Cup's.

Harkes was the first American ever to play in the English Premier League, the second American to ever score at Wembley Stadium,

and the first American player to appear in the final of a major English tournament.

8 hours ago, Holmes said:

I'd put forward Dan Petrescu to challenge to Roland for the best foreign player to play for Wednesday.

As Roland played more games I'd probably give it him but in my humble opinion, Petrescu was at the very least equal if not slightly better.

Not going to put you down for having an opinion mate but can't agree. Roland is well ahead of Dan IMHO. 

Whatever the case I'm sure it will be ok. 

Roland was the best at RB but "Zico" was the most exciting. If we are having a wall of legends we also need to think about putting "Irish" on it as he is our most capped player ever.

Edited by Utah Owl

9 hours ago, themaskedowl said:

Not going to put you down for having an opinion mate but can't agree. Roland is well ahead of Dan IMHO. 

Whatever the case I'm sure it will be ok. 

It's all about opinions one player compared against another player from a different era/squad, was just chucking another name into the hat.  

Always think that Dan is overlooked in Wednesday folklore his career playing record stands up to scrutiny against another player who's pulled on the blue and white. If he had played longer then he might get more recognition, I accept that's his Achilles heel. 

Roland is a big hero of mine without doubt up there with the very best.

Everything is OK