Tony Adams...

If Hirst played now and had more protection, he'd have scored twice as many and played at least 100 more games. 

And been one one of the best strikers in Europe. 

Bould and Adams were just 2 of many who'd be sent off more these days. 

Bemoans the fact that "Physical contact" has gone from the sport...while boasting "They killed Hirsty" by abusing the bloody aspect of "Physical contact" by deliberately going out to injure a player.

There you go Tony...The physical side of football is lesser now because you and the other thug who played centre half abused the f.ook out of it...

Never mind mate you have a managerial career now...that amuses f.ook out of the rest of  us...

6 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Phew !!!  

Honestly thought for a minute there someone was touting him as Carlos's replacement. 

Would have to give it serious thought if the only options were him or Brian the blade.

lol

I think I would go for Brian...Adams is batsh*t mental..

2 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Phew !!!  

Honestly thought for a minute there someone was touting him as Carlos's replacement. 

Would have to give it serious thought if the only options were him or Brian the blade.

lol

I was literally scared to open the thread incase he was linked to us for a coaching role or director of football role. He was a very good old fashioned centre back but he's a terrible coach and manager.

Have to admire the honesty of some of the ex Arsenal players, even though I hated that George Graham side back in those days. I have since heard the likes of Merson and Wright say on various interviews how terrified they were of the likes of Hirst, and the only way they could get near us was by going after our best players physically.

1 hour ago, AwokenGiant said:

Fair play to him, honest views on the dangers of takling from behind. I think today's footballs gone abit too far the other way, but I'm glad the kind of tackle that stopped Hirsty fulfilling his career has been stamped out. 

Fair play ???  That's the last thing you can say about Adams, Bould and Graham.  Just because the "tackle from behind "  (also known as  dirty play) wasn't as frowned upon then doesn't mean they had to do it. There were plenty of players who were hard men but wouldn't dream of deliberately injuring another player.

Disgraceful.

7 minutes ago, Arthur Bach said:

If Hirst made more of an effort in rehabilitation than he did in his boozing we'd have been sitting pretty.

Shearer broke his leg twice and was still scoring goals in the Prem into his 37th year.

Totally depends of the nature of the injury Arthur..would you say the same of Ian Knight?...after all he only had his leg broken once didn't he?

Edited by asteener1867

Ian Knight was young, no guarantee on his future of potential - I've heard of stories of people saying they heard the break but I imagine time has made those stories whimsical and fanciful.

Football was hard back then and we knew less of the virtues of physio and recovery.

But I'm getting tired of people bleating about THAT tackle on Hirst. Arsenal were hard and football was different...

It was 25 years ago.

2 minutes ago, Arthur Bach said:

Ian Knight was young, no guarantee on his future of potential - I've heard of stories of people saying they heard the break but I imagine time has made those stories whimsical and fanciful.

Football was hard back then and we knew less of the virtues of physio and recovery.

But I'm getting tired of people bleating about THAT tackle on Hirst. Arsenal were hard and football was different...

It was 25 years ago.

Trust me,it WAS heard whinced like a beeatch when i heard it.

2 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

Trust me,it WAS heard whinced like a beeatch when i heard it.

Fair enough, I was too young then and wasn't at the game.

No denying the injury was bad and the legal action that followed speaks for itself.

But a club succeeds and fails on more than just one injury to one player - I think the fans fall back on the Hirst injury like some kind of remedy for the failure of the club that followed when it was a much more complicated picture.

Amazing player, bad injury, questionable attitude.