Hirst scores a hat-trick

2 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

Rodger Wylde in the 70's

Correct. 40 years. There is a strong argument to bin off all youth football/the academy etc, and use the money more wisely. 

1 minute ago, vulva said:

Correct. 40 years. There is a strong argument to bin off all youth football/the academy etc, and use the money more wisely. 

Yeah thats a long time ago. There was a thread I was on earlier this year about strikers that we had produced full stop over the years and the cupboard has been pretty bare.

12 minutes ago, richowl said:

Time to up his development at senior level.

sign him up to a long (will have to be lucrative imo) deal & get him out on loan.

Reading that report, it seems the Sheff Utd lad (Brooks) is off to Chesterfield. I wonder if it would be worth sending George there too, linking up with a player he already knows at some level? And Brooks linking up the same. It could be beneficial for all 3 clubs.

1 minute ago, TINKERBELL said:

Without youth and academy where does the next Michael Owen and Beckham come from.or from our side of things young hirsty. 

I totally agree. While the clubs I'm about to mention are in a different solar system to others, the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal (okay, they klep a lot of youngsters from other teams), Man Ure, Liverpool, Tottingham Hottingspurs and more recently Man City, all have great developement infrastructure. I would love to see the amount of money these teams make from loaning and selling home grown talent. Moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooy of Udders being one example of a potetial large windfall for City.

And if just one player breaks through, it could be saving £10M's for a very small outlay. Plus, the players have the clubs ethos and playing methods instilled in them.

7 minutes ago, TINKERBELL said:

Without youth and academy where does the next Michael Owen and Beckham come from.or from our side of things young hirsty. 

We've ploughed millions into the academy, and produced nothing. A hard nosed businessman would look at that and bin it off. 

Another question - what's the biggest fee we have received for a player who has come through the system. 

You know what George Hirst has got, or what he does that none of our 1st team strikers do? As soon as his team wether it be our u18s, u23s or England youth get the ball. He's off like a shot headed toward the box to get into a goal scoring position. Our first team lads run toward corner flag or loiter outside area.

8 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

I totally agree. While the clubs I'm about to mention are in a different solar system to others, the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal (okay, they klep a lot of youngsters from other teams), Man Ure, Liverpool, Tottingham Hottingspurs and more recently Man City, all have great developement infrastructure. I would love to see the amount of money these teams make from loaning and selling home grown talent. Moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooy of Udders being one example of a potetial large windfall for City.

And if just one player breaks through, it could be saving £10M's for a very small outlay. Plus, the players have the clubs ethos and playing methods instilled in them.

Thought man city signed him from somewhere else, or are they doing an arsenal and buying other teams youngsters and then pretending a season or two later they produced them themselves lol