Forestieri Left Wing Starts

The devil in me cant resist posting these "stats" I found poking around this morning.

Here's all the games Nando has started LW.

15/16

Wolves 4-1

Brum 3-0

Fulham 1-0

Burnley 1-1

Brentford 4-0

PNE 0-1 (Red at nil-nil)

Cardiff 3-0

16/17

Brentford 1-1

Wigan 2-1

Forest 2-1

Brum 3-0

Norwich 5-1

Burton 1-1

Combined Pl 13. W9. D3. L1 

And the best is yet to come..........Wait for it.............

GF 30

GA 8

Utterly blows my small mind.

Unless someone can come up with a better explanation that me, there can only be two possibilities.

1. Carlos is a near genius, and has picked the only 13 matches where Nando would help tear sides apart.

or 

2. He is under-using this option and is not getting the best out of one of our best players.

(I have chosen not to confuse the data by adding in all the games where Nando has switched from striker to LW mid match and massively upped team success and fan enjoyment)

13 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

The devil in me cant resist posting these "stats" I found poking around this morning.

Here's all the games Nando has started LW.

15/16

Wolves 4-1

Brum 3-0

Fulham 1-0

Burnley 1-1

Brentford 4-0

PNE 0-1 (Red at nil-nil)

Cardiff 3-0

16/17

Brentford 1-1

Wigan 2-1

Forest 2-1

Brum 3-0

Norwich 5-1

Burton 1-1

Combined Pl 13. W9. D3. L1 

And the best is yet to come..........Wait for it.............

GF 30

GA 8

Utterly blows my small mind.

Unless someone can come up with a better explanation that me, there can only be two possibilities.

1. Carlos is a near genius, and has picked the only 13 matches where Nando would help tear sides apart.

or 

2. He is under-using this option and is not getting the best out of one of our best players.

(I have chosen not to confuse the data by adding in all the games where Nando has switched from striker to LW mid match and massively upped team success and fan enjoyment)

Amazing stats, food for thought cc

He should NEVER play in a front two for as long as we have the striking options that we currently have. Left wing proved to be a very good fit the previous season. It's just one example of us trying to fix something that wasn't broken rather than benefit from a lesson learned the previous season. Does he throw his toys out the pram when he's asked to play there?

He is our Knockeart, and on his day he's as good as Knockeart. Everyone is crying out for Carlos to bring in some pace to the side, rightly so, but direct, ball carrying players like Fernando are what turns our play from pedestrian to threatening and incisive.

2 minutes ago, captain bucky o'hare said:

He should NEVER play in a front two for as long as we have the striking options that we currently have. Left wing proved to be a very good fit the previous season. It's just one example of us trying to fix something that wasn't broken rather than benefit from a lesson learned the previous season. Does he throw his toys out the pram when he's asked to play there?

He is our Knockeart, and on his day he's as good as Knockeart. Everyone is crying out for Carlos to bring in some pace to the side, rightly so, but direct, ball carrying players like Fernando are what turns our play from pedestrian to threatening and incisive.

Agree, we just have to bring him into the game more, cut out some of the negative play

4 minutes ago, captain bucky o'hare said:

Thoroughly agree.

The problem is behind him. Carlos likes to play with wingbacks when we have possession with one of our centre midfielders dropping into a back three. Don't think this helps Nando and is a waste of a left wingback. System needs sorting. Do we play with wingbacks or play with wingers? Do we play with wingers who can play full back i.e Reach? If so he will run into Nando. One for Carlos to sort.

We have the players and with a bit of strengthening and a tweak to the system we should be good to go.

1 minute ago, owlmark said:

Thoroughly agree.

The problem is behind him. Carlos likes to play with wingbacks when we have possession with one of our centre midfielders dropping into a back three. Don't think this helps Nando and is a waste of a left wingback. System needs sorting. Do we play with wingbacks or play with wingers? Do we play with wingers who can play full back i.e Reach? If so he will run into Nando. One for Carlos to sort.

We have the players and with a bit of strengthening and a tweak to the system we should be good to go.

8 goals conceded in 13 matches when FF has played LW suggests he is not the irresponsible and lazy left-winger some would say he is.

I have not watched many wingers who track back with the determination Nando does.

And if he gets lazy the manager has an easy and effective solution, called the bench. That works!

The other issue here is enjoyment.

Yes 95% of us would take a win over a performance most days, but our enjoyment when Nando plays wide left is chalk and cheese compared to him as striker. 

Many of the above 13 matches were just an absolute joy to be at. 

Yes for every Wolves there was a Burton, but when I see his name out left I sit on the edge of my seat anticipating excitement. When I see his name as striker I sigh and slump expecting at least 46-65 minutes of dirge and grind.

The problem is ...where does FF think he should play..........if he does not want to play wide left then we are f8ck£d.......if he wants to play up front we are f8ck£d......he has to play where it is proved he is more effective NOT where he thinks he should play

Just now, StudentOwl said:

You're not wrong Holmowl... but ffs I swear you literally make two threads a week about this very 4-4-2 Forestieri on the left topic... GO OUTSIDE :duntmatter:

Work on your verb tense grammar student...it's the past tense you need.

I used to start two threads a week about FF left.

I am getting counselling for my behaviour and she says one thread a month is safer than cold turkey.

13 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

The other issue here is enjoyment.

Yes 95% of us would take a win over a performance most days, but our enjoyment when Nando plays wide left is chalk and cheese compared to him as striker. 

Many of the above 13 matches were just an absolute joy to be at. 

Yes for every Wolves there was a Burton, but when I see his name out left I sit on the edge of my seat anticipating excitement. When I see his name as striker I sigh and slump expecting at least 46-65 minutes of dirge and grind.

But let's not forget that in that Burton game FF would have won a penalty that could have changed the game had the player being fouled in the box been any other player but FF (I think that was the incident when he also picked up the injury that kept him out for much of the rest of the season).

28 minutes ago, twolaptops said:

The problem is ...where does FF think he should play..........if he does not want to play wide left then we are f8ck£d.......if he wants to play up front we are f8ck£d......he has to play where it is proved he is more effective NOT where he thinks he should play

Here lies the problem.

34 minutes ago, twolaptops said:

6 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

Here lies the problem.

Are we sure?

Has anyone ever found this article or interview where Nando says he prefers striker? I have asked several times but no-one has posted it.

And even if true, so what? A player plays where the manager puts him. Nando is a very good player in a squad of very good players. Nobody chooses but Carlos.