3 CMs Results

Matches played with 3 CMs (not incl Play-Offs)

P19

W8

D4

L7

Pts 28

Reast of season (excluding 46th game Fulham)

P 26

W 16

D5

L5

Pts 53

With 3 CMs - 1.5 points per game

Rest of season - over 2 points per game 

I made one adjustment, Bristol City home. Started with 3 CMs (Jones Lee BB) and 0-2 down when Wallace came on for Jones at HT.

When I see threads or posts saying we need major surgery because we weren't good enough, it's just plain wrong. We had the players and the set-up for an auto spot. We just chose not to play it for 19 league matches and a semi-final.

Just now, gurujuan said:

Not sure about that, I don't think our forwards, Hooper apart, were good enough for automatic promotion They are far too static for a club with our ambitions This isn't 2012

What is more important, fan thoughts or results?

Not convincing analysis, you can stats to say anything you want,

What about the opposition and setting up to play particular teams?

Weaker teams

Home and away

Available players
Rub of the green
etc.

Not saying you are wrong, but not sure you are right..if you know what I mean, cant put my finger on it.

Good post nonetheless

51 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Matches played with 3 CMs (not incl Play-Offs)

P19

W8

D4

L7

Pts 28

Reast of season (excluding 46th game Fulham)

P 26

W 16

D5

L5

Pts 53

I made one adjustment, Bristol City home. Started with 3 CMs (Jones Lee BB) and 0-2 down when Wallace came on for Jones at HT.

When I see threads or posts saying we need major surgery because we weren't good enough, it's just plain wrong. We had the players and the set-up for an auto spot. We just chose not to play it for 19 league matches and a semi-final.

Yes, 2 points would do it.

So if we say go with a 4-4-2, who would your midfield 4 be? I assume you want the 'wide' men to be a FF/Wallace player. The problem I have with this, is CC appears to ask Wallace to tuck into the centre or drop off to protect Hunt.

Trying to shoehorn 3 central midfielders into a flat midfield 4 hasn't worked for us and you don't need stats to tell you that. With the possible exception that we lost our biggest game of the season when reverting back to it having not done for the previous 7 matches, of which we lost 1 - a dead rubber reserves game against Fulham. 

My pleasure at Carlos signing a new deal and my backing of him for the new season hinges on the assumption he's learned this and won't be doing it this season. I don't want to see Bannan, Lee and Hutch/Jones/Abdi/a new player in the same starting midfield unless it's for a change of formation or we have 3-4 wingers injured at the same time. 

I'm not sure about any of this Yes to a point, the way we played was effective in terms of getting results However, I don't think we should try it again because, apart from being totally boring to watch, when push came to shove, we'd still fall short If we changed the way we played because teams were able to combat our high press style, it isn't gonna take them long to work out how to deal with this predictable way of playing Even I could coach a team to shut us out

29 minutes ago, Davidioso said:

Not convincing analysis, you can stats to say anything you want,

What about the opposition and setting up to play particular teams?

Weaker teams

Home and away

Available players
Rub of the green
etc.

Not saying you are wrong, but not sure you are right..if you know what I mean, cant put my finger on it.

Good post nonetheless

But they are not stats. They are points. Stats are nonesense about distance covered, possession % etc...but points are never stats.

However, I did look into the weak v strong, home v away, and ( as you would expect given that it covers an entire season) it is a fair mix.

You might imagine we played 3 CMs against strong teams and/or in Away matches. We didn't. The losses were against the following. I show their league position at that time:-

Leeds H 21st

Ipswich H 16th

Brentford H 15th

Burton A 20th

Derby A 21st

Brum A 5th

Reading A 3rd

As for rub of the green, you get it or suffer over a couple of matches, but not over 45.

21 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I'm not sure about any of this Yes to a point, the way we played was effective in terms of getting results However, I don't think we should try it again because, apart from being totally boring to watch, when push came to shove, we'd still fall short If we changed the way we played because teams were able to combat our high press style, it isn't gonna take them long to work out how to deal with this predictable way of playing Even I could coach a team to shut us out

You are merging the 19 where we played with 3 CMs with the 26 others.

At over two points per game nobody would be complaining about our football.

Our horrible crab lop-sidedfootie was predominately with 3 CMs. Pick (fairly) your worst half dozen matches of this season and I suspect you will find we played with 3 CMs.

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

I would consider these stats mate, don't wanna get into semantics.

Look I'm impressed with your in-depth analysis, but I consider the sample too small to draw any concrete conclusions.

However way we analyse it, we fell short, suck it up. Our day will come!

29 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Nerdyowl has taken another look...

19 games with 3 CMs - we scored 19 goals - one goal per boring game

26 others - we scored 40 goals - 1.54 goals per game

(And 5 of the 19 we did score were after Carlos took a CM off cos it wasn't working!!!)

14 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

You are merging the 19 where we played with 3 CMs with the 26 others.

At over two points per game nobody would be complaining about our football.

Our horrible crab lop-sidedfootie was predominately with 3 CMs. Pick (fairly) your worst half dozen matches of this season and I suspect you will find we played with 3 CMs.

Yes I am merging it all together because whichever way we played, it was mostly boring Hopefully good old Carlos will have devised another system, because I don't fancy sitting through that again

16 minutes ago, Davidioso said:

I would consider these stats mate, don't wanna get into semantics.

Look I'm impressed with your in-depth analysis, but I consider the sample too small to draw any concrete conclusions.

However way we analyse it, we fell short, suck it up. Our day will come!

Thanks. Though 45 matches is a full season, not a sample.

I just wanted to check if my instinct was correct. We looked horribly lop-sided and slow playing the extra CM, and the goals and points show that most fans' instincts were correct.

I hope Carlos and his colleagues analyse what worked and what failed, and have 3 CMs in the bin by August.

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Nerdyowl has taken another look...

19 games with 3 CMs - we scored 19 goals - one goal per boring game

26 others - we scored 40 goals - 1.54 goals per game

(And 5 of the 19 we did score were after Carlos took a CM off cos it wasn't working!!!)

Can't argue with that fella.