Scrap the Playoffs ?

So Huddersfield have just been promoted  to the Premier League, having finished 5th in the Championship with a minus goal difference and.not won a SINGLE play-off game. I know money is the be all and end all in football these days, but is it really in English football's best interests for this to continue ? (and yes I'm biased cos I'm exiled in Huddersfield with Town fans as in-laws - gutted doesn't come close !)  :-( 

17 minutes ago, wednesdaylander said:

So Huddersfield have just been promoted  to the Premier League, having finished 5th in the Championship with a minus goal difference and.not won a SINGLE play-off game. I know money is the be all and end all in football these days, but is it really in English football's best interests for this to continue ? (and yes I'm biased cos I'm exiled in Huddersfield with Town fans as in-laws - gutted doesn't come close !)  :-( 

What would you suggest? 

Top three automatically promoted? 

Edited by OughtibridgeOwl

The play off system allows around the top 8 or 9 teams to have something to play for right until the last couple of weeks of the season. 

Also the fact that fans from all the leagues have a realistic chance of seeing their team one day  at wembley.

It's a great system  

Just now, OughtibridgeOwl said:

What would you suggest? 

Top three automatically promoted? 

To be honest I'm just dreading the gloating I'm gonna get for the next 6 months, but I can't actually say Hudders deserved it. Would sooner Reading had gone up as they beat us both and finished a few points higher. 

1 minute ago, wednesdaylander said:

To be honest I'm just dreading the gloating I'm gonna get for the next 6 months, but I can't actually say Hudders deserved it. Would sooner Reading had gone up as they beat us both and finished a few points higher. 

I would have preferred reading to go up simply because I feel they would carry a bigger threat than Huddersfield next season. 

However I have to disagree with you mate about not deserving it. They didn't concede in two of the games and that resulted in winning two penalty shoot outs. Neither of their opposites could beat them in a penalty shoot out so that makes them deserved winners 

3 minutes ago, wednesdaylander said:

Everybody knows the rules at the start of the season. 3rd is no better than 6th, bad luck reading congratulations huddersfield town

15 minutes ago, wednesdaylander said:

In 6 months they could be rock bottom of the Premier League and we could be top of the Championship. Cheer up.

No, the powers that be should just make a honest appraisal of the positives and negatives of the current system then make a decision whether adjustments are merited. Forget our game, we lost because of us, not the play-off system. Other things should be considered such as Huddersfield's approach to the play-off and whether it encourages clubs to play weakened teams knowing that there is no real difference regardless of finishing 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th.

Sooner or later a relegation threatened club will fall victim to clubs in the play-off putting out weakened teams. Don't blame the club that does it - choice of team should be wholly the prerogative of that club's coach or manager. It is more beneficial to look at the reasons why they did it.

The problem with knockout football is teams don't have to win games. That's why league games are often better to watch as both teams are going for the 3 points.

Portugal won the Euros despite only winning 1 game out of 7 in normal time.

Huddersfield have been promoted even though they only won 2 out of their last 13 games and only scored 1 goal in 330 minutes of play off football

2 minutes ago, nilsson said:

The problem with knockout football is teams don't have to win games. That's why league games are often better to watch as both teams are going for the 3 points.

Portugal won the Euros despite only winning 1 game out of 7 in normal time.

Huddersfield have been promoted even though they only won 2 out of their last 13 games and only scored 1 goal in 330 minutes of play off football

I'm not sure that's always the case. I can think of a few who've come of Hillsborough this season and have come for a point.

1 hour ago, wednesdaylander said:

You make some good points, it's amazing that Huddersfield made it to the Premier league but we were complicit in their success. Despite all of the above I disagree with your overall point and I suspect you would too if we'd made it up from 6th or 4th over the last two seasons.