Time to replicate Brighton

We're all gutted after our disappointing Playoff campaign, had we played differently after Fletcher scored we could well be a Premier League club by now.

BUT imagine how it felt to be a Brighton fan after missing out on the autos and then losing to us this time last season. As a fan base we just shed the negativity which seems to have descended asap.

We can do this.

I think reading will pose a bigger threat than what Huddersfield would have next year. I think Huddersfields better players were loan players and they may not be able to recreate that form next season. 

There will be plenty of other sides that will make next seasons division stronger than this season. However I also feel that we will be stronger.

the summer and the start of the season will be very insteresting. 

Come on 

Think the obsession with Brighton is getting a bit desperate now.

We don't need to replicate anybody, we need to play decent, positive football and have someone in charge who knows how to use the players he's got

It may have been a hard pill to swallow for Brighton last season, but at least they were true to themselves in the way they approached the semi finals. 

The way we approached it it was an embarrassment. I still can't understand how Carlos is being kept on. 

3 minutes ago, someone in my head said:

Hit tje ground running and there is every chance of automatic mext year. 

Have to be more ruthless against the dross sides though.

And better against the top 6 too. Two wins against Brighton instead of 2 defeats would have seen us above them. We lost twice to Brighton, Reading, Leeds and once to Fulham. If we don't have a team capabale of doing better against these sides, top two, or winning a play off campaign will always be difficult 

7 minutes ago, someone in my head said:

We haven't hit the ground running for the last two seasons, here's hoping third time lucky

We have to replicate Brighton in so much as we have a playing style all the players buy into. Replicating the way they play would need serious recruitment. We have shown improvement season by season, points wise anyway and we have a large experienced squad, albeit missing a few key ingredients. Few is the key word here though, it should be easy enough to fill in the gaps so we can assemble a squad that would be clear promotion favourites. Identifying where the shortcomings are should be easy, they are exactly the same as they were last summer. All we need to do, is make a better job of recruiting the players this time around

Edited by gurujuan

Got no fear at all, I think we will go up automatic. 

If huddersfield can do it with their budget, why can't we...we have everything in place, I just think we over complicate things sometimes

onwards & upwards

i still remember that horrible night at Highbury, then pressman getting sent off after 30 seconds at wolves, playing against 9 men against Yeovil and not winning 

but then you remember Cardiff, Antonio against Carlisle, O'grady against the blades, that magical run and day out season before last.

We will be back, it's just a matter of time

WAWAW

Just now, gurujuan said:

We have to replicate Brighton in so much as we have a playing style all the players buy into. Replicating the way they play would need serious recruitment. We have shown improvement season by season, points wise anyway and we have a large experienced squad, albeit missing a few key ingredients. Few is the key word here though, it should be easy enough to fill in the gaps so we can assemble a squad that would be clear promotion favourites. Identifying where the shortcomings are should easy, they are exactly the same as they were last summer. All we need to do, is make a better job of recruiting the players this time around

I think the first thing that needs to happen is to decide what formation/system we are going to play.  Still not sure 4-4-2 suits us.  Brighton have Kayal & Stephens in their midfield 2 who both know how to properly play in a midfield 2. They also have pace on the flanks which we don't have. I also suggest that neither Lee, Bannan or Hutch are suited to playing in a midfield 2.  

So what do we do? Do we go and buy a couple of wingers with pace and also a physical lad in centre midfield or do we change our tactics to get 3 in the centre by either playing 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 or 3-5-2 which will probably suit our current crop of midfielders better?

Absolutely nothing like Brighton... Brighton went for automatic promotion in both of Hughtons full seasons! Finishing level with Middlesbrough the first year and losing out on goal difference then winning automatics this year! 

Around march this year we was looking the side to be out of the play offs! But a magnificent run in April changed that. But not once have we come anywhere near automatics. 

18 minutes ago, someone in my head said:

We beat all the bottom 4 home and away this season. 

1 minute ago, 1993swfc said:

Absolutely nothing like Brighton... Brighton went for automatic promotion in both of Hughtons full seasons! Finishing level with Middlesbrough the first year and losing out on goal difference then winning automatics this year! 

Around march this year we was looking the side to be out of the play offs! But a magnificent run in April changed that. But not once have we come anywhere near automatics. 

We missed our chance with the way we played at Brighton, that was our chance to kick on for the top 2 but we failed

4 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I think the first thing that needs to happen is to decide what formation/system we are going to play.  Still not sure 4-4-2 suits us.  Brighton have Kayal & Stephens in their midfield 2 who both know how to properly play in a midfield 2. They also have pace on the flanks which we don't have. I also suggest that neither Lee, Bannan or Hutch are suited to playing in a midfield 2.  

So what do we do? Do we go and buy a couple of wingers with pace and also a physical lad in centre midfield or do we change our tactics to get 3 in the centre by either playing 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 or 3-5-2 which will probably suit our current crop of midfielders better?

If we don't sign any fast and creative wingers this summer then we can start to worry.  As I can't see Carlos changing the system given we didn't last season despite having players that would suit other formations 

Just now, Southie_Owl said:

If we don't sign any fast and creative wingers this summer then we can start to worry.  As I can't see Carlos changing the system given we didn't last season despite having players that would suit other formations 

Agreed! If we keep 4-4-2, we need to have fast and creative wingers.  It's pivotal to making the system work. If Hutch is playing centre midfield, he also needs to be playing 15 yards up the pitch. 

10 minutes ago, BIG D said:

We beat all the bottom 4 home and away this season. 

Hardly convinced against Rotherham. I was also thinking about Burton and for that matter Ipswich who were reallly struggling prior to turning us over at our place: those are the games we need to win convincingly.

The key will be the start. Start well and the positivity for an automatic promotion  push will be there. Last two years we've started too slowly. Hopefully that'll be rectified this year.