PROMOTED TO FIRST TEAM

We keep banging on in various threads about who to buy & when & how much etc etc

Strikes me we got some valuable potential in our U23 squad - centre back left back winger & striker

Why don't we utilise them?

And don't give me the patter of not strong enough, big enough, old enough....

If they good enough use 'em and save us a fortune. We got all summer to develop them, or convert (hmmm)

Seriously tho, lets give 'em a go, we never seem to step up and everything seems rosy at U23

Just a thought from a knackered old veteran............

I'm all for giving youth a chance but there is a time and a place. We've seen an acknowledgement from CC that we need 4-5 players and the concensus from management and the majority of fans is that they need to be additions of the highest quality. If we are looking to seal a top two spot and avoid the lottery of the playoffs this must happen and happen before preseason to give us the best chance possible.

Edited by Morepork

I'd put some into the squad, loan em out or have a look at em during pre-season.

Although I would love for some of em to come through, we're only 5 or 6 quality players away from being a top 2 side I reckon.

As well as bringing in more quality, we should look at loaning in some young talent from the top flight as well as looking at a couple of our youngsters coming through too.

It would save the club a fortune if some of them came through the ranks. Hopefully we will see a couple coming through in the near future now that we're improving at youth level. 

How will our youngsters feel if we go and bring in youngsters from other clubs?  Doesn't send them the best message I would have thought.

Are our youngsters capable of playing at the level we require? It's a gamble playing one of them in the first team only for the opposition to identify him as the weak spot and undermining his confidence.

Anyone who watches them would they be confident that they would give a good account of themselves, I have no idea what level the youngsters are playing to.  I do feel that it would be a massive step up in quality for them.

There many teenagers playing in the Premiership/Championship, some in the starting 11, some from the bench.

Carlos is too careful and isn't the type to take any chances. He has his favourite " turn to" players, so I cannot see any youngsters getting a chance.

3 minutes ago, Bob said:

There many teenagers playing in the Premiership/Championship, some in the starting 11, some from the bench.

Carlos is too careful and isn't the type to take any chances. He has his favourite " turn to" players, so I cannot see any youngsters getting a chance.

sure but that's mainly because clubs don't have the strength in depth we have ......you cant  put young players in just because they won there age group as a collective they have to be good enough individually and ours obviously arnt at present .penney seems the flavour of the month and yet he went to Bradford and couldn't get a run in there side which tells you he aint ready .............i'd question that carlos is too careful as well , he was happy to play young lads in wildsmith and dawson in the most crucial position of all .

24 minutes ago, torryowl said:

sure but that's mainly because clubs don't have the strength in depth we have ......you cant  put young players in just because they won there age group as a collective they have to be good enough individually and ours obviously arnt at present .penney seems the flavour of the month and yet he went to Bradford and couldn't get a run in there side which tells you he aint ready .............i'd question that carlos is too careful as well , he was happy to play young lads in wildsmith and dawson in the most crucial position of all .

Very rare that I agree with you and this post is no exception.

To slowly give the exceptional ones a few minutes is hardly rocket science. Premier clubs have far more strength in depth than us but they often give youth a chance. I know their youngsters are top quality but we have some good ones as well.

1 hour ago, Holmes said:

How will our youngsters feel if we go and bring in youngsters from other clubs?  Doesn't send them the best message I would have thought.

Are our youngsters capable of playing at the level we require? It's a gamble playing one of them in the first team only for the opposition to identify him as the weak spot and undermining his confidence.

Anyone who watches them would they be confident that they would give a good account of themselves, I have no idea what level the youngsters are playing to.  I do feel that it would be a massive step up in quality for them.

Every Summer we bring in youngsters released from other clubs to supplement the U23 squad(normally 18 or 19 year old). Last year we brought in Charlie Hayford(Tottenham), Elliot Percival(Leicester), Jordan Thorniley(Everton) and Ashley Baker(Cardiff).  I understand your point and sometimes these don't end up being better than our own.  Hayford and Percival struggled to get in the side all season.  Only Caolan Lavery out of these type of signings has ever made the first team and I would prefer to see our own.  

13 minutes ago, Bob said:

Very rare that I agree with you and this post is no exception.

To slowly give the exceptional ones a few minutes is hardly rocket science. Premier clubs have far more strength in depth than us but they often give youth a chance. I know their youngsters are top quality but we have some good ones as well.

Good enough to play them when three points are at stake?  On what basis are you making this judgement?  Not saying you're wrong but I'd love to know how good they are.  

The kids will play for the first team when they are ready to play for the first team, they naturally force themselves into the reckoning when they persistently impress at the lower level.

What you don't do, when identifying your first team transfer targets, players who will be top, top, quality, is to say no actually, scrap that midfield target, the kid will do that job for us all season. Firstly, you won't know until they step up, if they can still perform consistently at the top level. Secondly, you might see the end of the transfer window before you reach the conclusion that the kid is falling short at first team level, and miss your chance to recruit a proven midfielder.

I think this is generally how it works.

The pressure is on Carlos to get us promoted to the premier league. He has promoted the likes of Joe Wildsmith and Cameron Dawson and given some game time to others particularly in cup competitions but I can't see him pushing too many players forward at the moment because of the current pressures involved.

28 minutes ago, Holmes said:

Good enough to play them when three points are at stake?  On what basis are you making this judgement?  Not saying you're wrong but I'd love to know how good they are.  

Nobody knows for sure how good they are, sometimes you have to take a risk, that's what managers are paid big salary's for.

I am not advocating throwing players into the deep end but a few minutes in the odd game is the usual way of blooding talent, although it may be better loaning a selected couple of players out for experience.

9 hours ago, ash60s said:

We keep banging on in various threads about who to buy & when & how much etc etc

Strikes me we got some valuable potential in our U23 squad - centre back left back winger & striker

If they good enough use 'em and save us a fortune. We got all summer to develop them, or convert (hmmm)

Seriously tho, lets give 'em a go, we never seem to step up and everything seems rosy at U23

None are good enough it's that simple . Don't get why people find this so hard to understand . Im also guessing the same people asking for the kids they have never seen to play would be the same people to hammer them when we are 19th in the league 

Edited by james o connor

9 hours ago, ash60s said:

Sorry but I am going to give the patter of not strong enough etc, I have watched the U23s, They are not ready for 1st team football yet. one of the centre backs looks a real prospect but not next season.