Left Backs

Pudil and Fox flattered to deceive from time to time, but neither were consistent, and occasionally they were dire. Reach filled in from time to time, with mixed results.

Its a tough one to answer at present as we don't know whether FF will be striker or winger, so don't know if Reach is a sure-start winger or not.

Just for the sake of this thread, if we assume we use FF or a new buy as LW from August, who would you want to see as our first-choice LB?

For me, in order...

Reach 

New buy

Pudil

And who would the new buy be? I'm struggling to think of a realistically priced LB significantly better than Reach and Pudil.

We need another LB for certain, I just don't rate Pudil, Especially for the role needed in our system which puts emphasis on the full backs getting forward. Chris Loewe showed exactly what's needed in that role in both legs.

I reckon we should upgrade right back and left back positions. Ideally bringing in full backs with pace, that are essentially wing backs. I'd consider Amari'i Bell the left back at Fleetwood Town, Charlie Taylor is a good shout has he's quality at this level or I'd suggest looking at some young top flight talent available to loan.

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

Would prefer two quality fast full/wing backs over the wingers everyone keeps banging on about.

This ^

2 fast full backs/wing backs are needed. And would address a weak area and strengthen us.

But I would love us to also bring in one winger/attacking midfielder if possible? 

I agree we need a new lb, but I rate Hunt, I know he's not the best and he can be a little inconsistent, but I think his inconsistency is only when we're going forward. He's a solid and fast defender. Pudil on the other hand doesn't have the pace, we all saw him get completely outpaced by Huddersfield, and its not the first time its happened either

Pudil was excellent for most of the 2015-16 season but his form dipped the last couple of months of it.

Unfortunately his dip in form lasted for most of this season but he was back to his old self during the 6 match winning run at the end of this season.

However he was poor in both matches against Huddersfield.

On his best form he's more than good enough but can we rely on it. Personally I'd like us to be targeting another left back.

12 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Would prefer two quality fast full/wing backs over the wingers everyone keeps banging on about.

I agree with this. If we have full backs providing the width (at pace with quality delivery) it gives us more options with attacking midfielders (in the channels, wide or central). We still need pace up front and good cover at the back, but tactically this seems to work better with CC's way of playing. 

Ideally a new lb but wings, cb and poss cm are more important so with ffp, reach may do a better job at lb than at left mid, he barely get goals or assists from left mid and wont run at full backs, but has the engine to overlap as an attacking full back/left wing back in a

3-4-3

Either lb/lwb or on left of a midfield 3 may be where he can offer more.

Would list pudil & fox and have as back up for lb/cb/left of a back 3 if no offers.

37 minutes ago, No 2 is r nilsson said:

I agree with this. If we have full backs providing the width (at pace with quality delivery) it gives us more options with attacking midfielders (in the channels, wide or central). We still need pace up front and good cover at the back, but tactically this seems to work better with CC's way of playing. 

I agree and that would probably suit us best with the way we play, we could do with upgrading both full back/wing back positions with pacy players that can cross a ball.

But I wouldn't rule out a winger coming in, not an out and out winger but another one that can cut inside or play an attacking midfielder role. 

Edited by Milan Missing Marble

15 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

Mix

Pudil's defensive attributes.

Reach's engine, height, pace

Fox's delivery

We'd have a right player.

Yes Dr Frankenstein, but with our luck....

Pudil's pace

Reach's delivery

Fox's engine

4 minutes ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

I agree and that would probably suit us best with the way we play, we could do with upgrading both full back/wing back positions with pacy players that can cross a ball.

But I wouldn't rule out a winger coming in, not an out and out winger but another one that can cut inside or play an attacking midfielder role. 

I think this was how Carlos was trying to set up earlier in the season but I don't think we had the players who can do this. When we won 6 in a row it was a fairly flat 442 which was effective (partly because Hoops is brilliant at dropping deep) but against better teams (like the 2 legs v udders, without Hoops) we get overrun in the middle. Like you say another player (like Nando) who can attack from deep with  pace (wide or inside, not just out and out winger) would work for me. There's another post about Ince who I think might be a good player to do this. Don't know about his work rate or attitude.