What is the optimum amount of players required for the squad?

The yardstick seems to be, two players for every position, so 22 players. In reality, it seems to be more like, 25 Above that, it gets a bit unwieldy With our squad nearing thirty, would we be better reducing the numbers down to 25 and then using the youngsters when needed. For even one youngster to be sat on the bench, we'd still have to have to be missing 7 of the original squad. Is this just too risky, were we to have an injury crisis? Last season, Brighton for example, had a smaller more manageable squad, but had a clear game plan with everyone who came in, knowing exactly what was expected of them. Against that, Newcastle, who went up as champions, had a huge squad.

I think 25 is the optimum amount, which I believe is the same as the European Cup squads. That gives us plenty of cover, not least because of the versatility of some of the squad, but also gives a better pathway for our own youngsters to come through.

We need to do a lot of trimming. It's quality not quantity we need. Whoever we bring in, needs to improve us and not be simply more squad filler. That said, I think we need upto 6 new players this summer. Thinking about where we need strengthening: we need to upgrade our full backs/wing backs; a solid centre back is needed, a midfield beast, a winger/attacking midfielder and could do with bringing in a attacker with pace. That makes it 5 or 6 players we need to bring in, along with getting rid of a fair few players. We could and probably should look at loaning in some young top flight talent.

Not sure about the perfect squad size. Around 24/25 sounds good. But we could do with bringing through some youngsters or loaning in some youngsters from the top flight too.

Edited by Milan Missing Marble