Giving youth a chance.

Below is a table an Ipswich fan did regarding youth players used this season, pretty poor on us in reflection.

Will this become a problem in the near future if young players look at stuff like this? Why come here if you won't get a chance? 

Grim reading for young players. 

IMG_20170526_174131.jpg

37 minutes ago, tuttuttut said:

Below is a table an Ipswich fan did regarding youth players used this season, pretty poor on us in reflection.

Will this become a problem in the near future if young players look at stuff like this? Why come here if you won't get a chance? 

IMG_20170526_174131.jpg

Once you get towards 20, you should be looking at first team rivals and be looking to knock them off their peg.

You'll never make it otherwise...Whatever club you're signed to...The proof is in how you play.

28 minutes ago, tuttuttut said:

IMG_20170526_174131.jpg

I appreciate the point you're making, but it's not as bleak as you imply.

Take out the loans, were on zero, and it's not as bad. Still bad, but we're not bottom and close to Preston, fifth in the list. Would our young players be impressed if we brought in some Chelsea / Man City youngsters? I doubt it. I think they'll prefer to be targeting replacing our own players.

Way out out in front in the list, Forest. Goal difference away from relegation. A club in crisis. Barnsley and Ipswich too, overly rely on youth because they've little alternative. 

Our academy is years behind others. We're playing catch up. Leeds, for one, have had a quality academy bringing through player for years. It's a conveyor belt. We've just turn ours on. You need to review this table in five years. Hopefully, it'll look a lot more favourable.

Will this become a problem in the near future? Not in my opinion. I think the opposite.

If you watched the England U 20's yesterday you'll have seen why non of our youngsters are ready to step up just yet...hardly any of them had much experience during the season but they looked head and shoulders above our kids...be patient it's not long ago that we didn't even have a youth set up

back in 2000 we gave plenty of youngsters a run in the team , stringer ,Haslam,crane ,Morrison,quinn,bromby ,geary,hamshaw spring to mind ....we nearly got relegated ,I can only guess but if we gave the same game time to 8 players from the dev squad next season we'd be marooned somewhere in the bottom half  ..........young players have to be good enough to replace the established older players and I don't see anyone from the dev squad who warrants a place just yet .

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

back in 2000 we gave plenty of youngsters a run in the team , stringer ,Haslam,crane ,Morrison,quinn,bromby ,geary,hamshaw spring to mind ....we nearly got relegated ,I can only guess but if we gave the same game time to 8 players from the dev squad next season we'd be marooned somewhere in the bottom half  ..........young players have to be good enough to replace the established older players and I don't see anyone from the dev squad who warrants a place just yet .

Yes the times when a number of young players are blooded at once tend to be out of necessity rather than choice. In 2000 we lost players after relegation(Alexandersson, had others injured(Scott,Donnelly,O'Donnell,Jonk,Hinchcliffe) and weren't signing players after overspending.  Those youngsters had to be picked when some weren't ready but we had no choice really an struggled.  Leyton Orient this year have played loads of teenagers out of necessity and are now out of the League.

I think you may only find that one or two of the current crop will ever play for the first team for Wednesday.

41 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

Yes the times when a number of young players are blooded at once tend to be out of necessity rather than choice. In 2000 we lost players after relegation(Alexandersson, had others injured(Scott,Donnelly,O'Donnell,Jonk,Hinchcliffe) and weren't signing players after overspending.  Those youngsters had to be picked when some weren't ready but we had no choice really an struggled.  Leyton Orient this year have played loads of teenagers out of necessity and are now out of the League.

I think you may only find that one or two of the current crop will ever play for the first team for Wednesday.

Thats sad, but probably true

So with just a couple of exceptions, the teams that make up the bottom half of this table, actually made up the top half of the league table.

Yeah we should be ashamed of ourselves, imagine wanting to win and compete at the top of the league, shocking Wednesday. 

Our young players will get a chance if a time comes that they are good enough to play for a top 6 championship side, and quite understandably, none of them are close to that yet.

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Thats sad, but probably true

2 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Watch our youngsters and you will soon realise what a silly suggestion it is. Not a knock on them , they just aren't up to the task 

The FA Youth Cup tie against Chelsea that was live on Chelsea TV showed our U18s as boys against men.  To be fair the Chelsea team gave hammerings to a lot of teams and mst of there players will never play in the Chelsea 1st team.

On 26. 05. 2017. at 18:49, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Just means ours aren't good enough for top end championship football.

Forest is the clue to that

If it was not for their youth players, Forest would got relegated this season.

Smith, Worrall, Cash and Brereton all came in, improved them and help them survive.

Don't forget that they sold Burke for 13 m to RB Leipzig as well.