Which strikers to bin?

At the moment we've got seven, yes seven first team strikers on the books with Hirst and co waiting in the wings: Rhodes, Fletcher, Hooper, Fessi, Winnall, Dave, Joao

Surely we need to trim these numbers.  But who would you let go?

I think Winnall may well be on his way out of the door as CC just doesn't seem to trust him.

Joao will also surely be surplus to requirments despite some impressive displays in his time here.

Dave I'd love to get shot of but I think CC will keep him just for that different extra option, especially when defending a lead. 

If we've really had bids for Nuihu in the past then he needs off loading asap, give Jaoa pre season then assess him but it'd take a large improvement. Rhodes, Winnall, Fletcher, Hooper and Fessi is withought a doubt the best group of strikers in the league

Edited by 1867Heaven

Joao and Nuhiu to go for me.

Pairings Rhodes and Winnall, Hooper and Fletcher with Fezzi out left

Decision to be made in Hirst does he stay and get game time or go out on loan

I guess it will depend on the reasons for retaining them If we can afford to keep them all, then why not. If we need to raise money before we can strengthen other areas, then that's a different matter.

If I were pushed, yes I'd agree that Winnall looks the odd one out. Not sure why we needed to sign him in the first place, other than perhaps cover in case we didn't get Rhodes. Neither have justified the decision to bring them here, they certainly didn't get us over the line, as many suggested they would. We could probably make a quick profit on Winnall

Think Nuhiu will leave and a decision on Joao will be taken. The rest will stay.

From Carlos' interview, he's looking at 4/5 new players this summer and I can't see any of them being strikers. Forestieri, Fletcher, Hooper, Rhodes and Winnall is about right for squad depth.

As for Hirst, I hope we get him out on loan to get some professional league game time under his belt.

EDIT: also agree that Forestieri shouldn't be used as a striker.

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you

5 minutes ago, torres said:

If we were going purely on performances for Wednesday and were not hung up on history or transfer value, then Rhodes would be first out of the door.

Closely followed by Winnall

Rhodes has to go down as a flop so far and the pen thing was a joke but don't give up on him. Some of the things he does are class, little knock one and certain bits of movement I haven't seen since Hirst. He needs to hit the ground running straight away but it hasn't all been bad from him in my opinion. 

43 minutes ago, torres said:

If we were going purely on performances for Wednesday and were not hung up on history or transfer value, then Rhodes would be first out of the door.

Closely followed by Winnall

I'd go with this, although I think it is unlikely to happen Contrary to what most believe, I don't think there would be too many takers for Rhodes. We may be stuck with him for some time

1 minute ago, 1867Heaven said:

Rhodes has to go down as a flop so far and the pen thing was a joke but don't give up on him. Some of the things he does are class, little knock one and certain bits of movement I haven't seen since Hirst. He needs to hit the ground running straight away but it hasn't all been bad from him in my opinion. 

The penalty thing is neither here or there in my opinion - he didnt take a penalty  -so what!

His performances have been dire and to think otherwise is just kidding ourselves. 

Comparing him to Hirst is laughable 

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I'd go with this, although I think it is unlikely to happen Contrary to what most believe, I don't think there would be too many takers for Rhodes. We may be stuck with him for some time

If we offered him out for £10m now i doubt there would be any takers

3 minutes ago, 1867Heaven said:

Prior to the final game, Rhodes had been on the pitch everytime we scored, there must be summat in that stat. He's a goalscorer and with a decent pre season under his belt we'll see that our money was well spent.

FF not a striker for me, put him on the left.

Nuhiu. Surely you have to score a goal to be considered a striker,  Feb 2016 his last goal for us. Bye bye 

38 minutes ago, torres said:

If we offered him out for £10m now i doubt there would be any takers

The only saving grace is, that figure will probably be based on add ons On his performances so far, many of those targets are unlikely to be reached

Striking pool of Rhodes, Hooper, Winnall and Fletcher is more than good enough at this level. 

FF can play there if needed (although I'd prefer to see him on the left), with Hirst as backup is ideal IMO. Gives us 6 strikers to choose from, and obviously with the natural rough and tumble of the league with injuries etc that'll mean Hirst would probably get a dozen or so appearances on the bench and maybe half a dozen sub appearances in the league during the season, which for his development is probably about spot on for what's needed at his age. Those four dedicated strikers, with two starting and two on the bench, with FF as "backup" and Hirst waiting in the wings should be more than enough. 

Raise a not-insignificant amount from Nuhiu and Joao sales too

I didn't see it as CC not trusting Winnall, I think he's just been under immense pressure to make the Rhodes signing look a bit less extravagant. Even without the 'no goals without Rhodes' stat, the shrieking about recruitment would've been even louder if CC had Rhodes sat on the bench while our bargain 'Hooper hamstring insurance' striker started over and over.

Edited by Mr. Tom

10 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Thankfully, most will see the Rhodes situation for what it is. A player that had barely played from May 2016 to February 2017 and then thrown straight in as a marque signing into a team not playing to his strengths.

What's the term, form is temporary, class is permanent? Rhodes' goal scoring record is class.

There would be plenty of takers for Rhodes (maybe not at £10m mind - though I don't believe we paid anywhere near that either)!

38 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Striking pool of Rhodes, Hooper, Winnall and Fletcher is more than good enough at this level. 

FF can play there if needed (although I'd prefer to see him on the left), with Hirst as backup is ideal IMO. Gives us 6 strikers to choose from, and obviously with the natural rough and tumble of the league with injuries etc that'll mean Hirst would probably get a dozen or so appearances on the bench and maybe half a dozen sub appearances in the league during the season, which for his development is probably about spot on for what's needed at his age. Those four dedicated strikers, with two starting and two on the bench, with FF as "backup" and Hirst waiting in the wings should be more than enough. 

Raise a not-insignificant amount from Nuhiu and Joao sales too

I'd take issue with that. In modern football, at this level, it's almost unheard of to not have a striker with pace. That group may have been pretty decent five years ago, but they all seem a bit pedestrian for today's game.

Don't get me wrong, there is still a role for clever players like Hooper, and some of the others, but as a group, they're a bit one paced

Can we bin Fessi?

Not the player, just the nickname, it's awful.

Think with Rhodes, Winnall, Fletcher and Hooper we have definitely got the forwards to do the business, I just think the way we set up and play must be a nightmare for strikers at times, need to get some real width and regular delivery into the area, otherwise Rhodes will be a spectacular waste of money.