Marco Matias

Lots of talk about our need to sign a good attacking winger this summer, but could the answer be closer to home?

MM's Wednesday career has been really hurt by injury but he has shown unbelievable class at times (goal vs Leeds the prime example) and did score 17 in 32 in the Portuguese top flight the season before we signed him, which was a bit of a coup at the time.

Could he step up next season with a full pre-season under his belt? 

This will be his season, the fans will love him, adore him as he inspires Wednesday to win the Championship with a record number of points.

I did say something similar last season and look how that turned out. If he does inspires us it will be from the touchline as no doubt he will be injured again.

I do think he his a class player and hope that he gets a good run of games next season and proves some of the doubters wrong and me right for a change. :) 

He never settled in before his injury troubles started, so it's impossible really to know.

Some will say, "he's shïte" based solely on those few appearances before we became a cohesive unit in CC's 1st season. 

He did look good in preseason last year, but that doesn't mean owt.

So fûck knows lol

I hope he does come good. Could be just what we need. 

While in a 4-4-2 Matias doesn't fit in. however if we switched formation next season. he would be good as a right sided attacking player in a three. His willingness to run in behind is what we have been missing all season. But very difficult to consistently do this unless you are played in a attacking position 

I've said before he can only play if it's a back 3.

to fit him in it would almost be a 

formation, so we'd need a really strong centre mid. (I'd push Hutch into the back 3)

that woukd allow Lee, Bannan and Abdi to rotate with a new ball winner and Jones and back up.

Westwood

Lees.     Hutchinson.    New CB

New Ball Winner

Lee/Bannan/Abdi.  2 from 3

Matias.                              Fessi

Hooper

Rhodes 

subs

wildsmith

loovens

jones

one of the 3 left out

fletcher

winnal

rotation (Hunt, Pudil, Fox, Reach, Wallace) depending on opposition and needs.

Even injury free and playing well, there's no way he fits in our team unless we drastically alter the formation. The fact that McManaman couldn't get a kick this season underlines that for me - not dissimilar sorts of players really, both likely to go MIA for spells in most games, but always a threat and likely to pop up with a couple of really key contributions in each half.

Matias is never going to play in a midfield 3, we don't use wingers with the fullbacks we've got, so it'd likely need to be a 5 across the middle to fit him MM in. Can't see it. He seems jinxed here and I think he'd be wise to move elsewhere and be a headline-grabber in a league with a slower, less physical tempo.