Vincent Sasso

14 minutes ago, MrEdwards said:

He's barely put a foot wrong all season. Good at finding a ball to feet and not scared to bring the ball out himself.

Everyone says of 4th choice etc. But I don't know who we are going to sign that is better.

If we do, then great I want whoever is the best player we have in that position on the pitch. But I don't think there is much better out there.

I think Sasso, despite limited game time has performed fantastically and I'd be happy if we start with him at CB next season.

Apart from stepping up for the goal at Leeds, trying to let the ball go out of play at Forest etc etc

hes an accident waiting to happen 

if we are going to progress we need better

2 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

Apart from stepping up for the goal at Leeds, trying to let the ball go out of play at Forest etc etc

hes an accident waiting to happen 

if we are going to progress we need better

Obviously - we need better in every position ideally

The issue is though, is that getting a player happy to be third/fourth choice and still has some quality on the ball and is solid at defending is tricky. The guy's got a great attitude, never causes any problems internally, will be on small wages, and when required does a job. It'd be mental to not keep him. I like him and I'm happy he's getting a new deal, it's deserved in my opinion.

39 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Really don't want Hanley. He's ok with his back to goal where he can head and kick everything. On small pitches he'll be fine.

but.... Hillsborough is a big pitch and when he's turned he is useless. Also he's not a footballing centre half and neither is Lees so I think we'll be better off looking for one of them.

Out of the 24 Championship clubs this season, the pitch at Hillsborough was only the 15th biggest by area. The big stands create the illusion that the pitch is bigger, same with Wembley, people talk about the big Wembley pitch but it's little more than average sized, it's exactly the same size as Huddersfield and Blackburn.

I think it shows a lack of ambition by Sasso.   

He is a pro footballer, he is signing already knowing he's not going to be a mainstay and may even only get match time when others are unfit or suspended.

In truth despite his lapses, he would be in the starting 11 for most teams - ok, not most, maybe the likes of those promoted and those like Huddersfield who don't have the budget.   I'd even say teams like Ipswich and those of the same ilk he would be a starter.

For SWFC though this is probably good news - stability and a decent backup.

3 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

Genuinely think Sasso would thrive being played week in week out, shame it won't happen here though.

If he signs then takes his chance, only needs a good pre season and could cement a place, who knows? its all good competition for places

52 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Has done better than I expected, but still surprised. Thought the hunt would be on for a quality CB signing. 

I think a lot of us are hoping that the hunt will still be on.

Happy for Sasso to be offered another contract and I guess he will be in the same role as the season just finished. He's done the job when called on but, as many have said I'd like to see us bring in another starting contender. Or do we move Hutch back to the centre half pool and get in a new midfield beast?

Guest wilyfox
24 minutes ago, themaskedowl said:

I think a lot of us are hoping that the hunt will still be on.

Happy for Sasso to be offered another contract and I guess he will be in the same role as the season just finished. He's done the job when called on but, as many have said I'd like to see us bring in another starting contender. Or do we move Hutch back to the centre half pool and get in a new midfield beast?

1 hour ago, wilyfox said:

Depends where Carlos plans to deploy Hutchinson. A year ago, the decision was CB. That changed due to lightweight midfield. Have to wait and see if that changes again. Could well be Lees, Loovens, Hutch, and Sasso again.

Yes, as I said in the latter post... depends where Carlos plans to utilise Hutchinson. If he stays in central midfield, may leave room for Sasso +1 to come in at centre-half.

Very good, apart from a missed header at Leeds he didn't do a lot wrong last season and even won us the game against Blackburn.

I like it when he plays as he is much better on the ball than Lees or Loovens.

1 hour ago, wilyfox said:

Depends where Carlos plans to deploy Hutchinson. A year ago, the decision was CB. That changed due to lightweight midfield. Have to wait and see if that changes again. Could well be Lees, Loovens, Hutch, and Sasso again.

I'd be happy with those four at CB.  Now for the key signing of the summer; a central midfielder of the quality of Huddlestone, Mooy or Shelvey so that Hutch can stay at CB rather than having to move back into midfield.

1 hour ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Source? 

I'm fine with it if true, he's a good solid back up. I'm not filled with horror when he deputises for one of our centre backs, like I was with Martin Taylor or Llera at the end of his time with us.

Llera and Taylor make Sasso look like Tony Adams. Good back up, more than happy for him to stay.

He's a decent player, no more. Not good enough to rely on for a long period, but good for a game or three.

To me, this suggests Hutchinson back to centre defence with Carlos spending the available cash on a midfield Hutch upgrade. 

Centre defence:

Lees

Hutch

Loovens

Sasso

Pudil/Fox

O'Grady/Youth.