Wingers/Wide players.... But who?

There is an obvious need for wingers/wide players. More ammo for the strikers who are crying out for more service.

We had Macca and Buckley but Carlos did not want to play these type of wingers. The big pacey right winger at Huddersfield tore us a good one. And this type of player offers a contrast to these two loan players who Carlos was reluctant to play. 

With this in mind. And strength and for sure pace being a requirement in this division - who is out there? Realistic targets? Suggestions anyone? 

Depends on the system used, if CC is to persist with 4/4/2 then  I think one winger to start is a must and another as cover. The one I would personally go for is Sakho at Palace and I suggested the same player last summer, used to be at Wolverhampton. Hasn't settled, can't get a look in their side pace to burn, couple of tricks can cross and can finish would be well worth a bid. I'm not sure CC would see him fitting our style so no doubt it will be someone of the Buckley/Reach mold who he goes for, many have said Jota at Brentford but I just can not see that being a realistic possibility as they will want stupid money for him, it's going to be an interesting summer in that department. 

McGeady, Macca and Buckley are 'out and out' wingers. Such players have failed under Carlos. 

But the need for pace and service for our stikers needs addressing. One or two chances a game for proven strikers is not the way forward for next season. Maybe the above named players lack strength and team ethic qualities. 

Many cite the need for better quality, more strength and pace.

Edited by basegreenowl
Look

No point in messing about with the likes of McManaman and Buckley, they're no better than what we have. Someone like Helder Costa would be a better bet. Can go inside, or out, and can even play the Forestieri role. Great ball control, is lightning quick, and scores more goals than any of our strikers

It's more about Carlos adapting his approach than who we sign.

Kingy and Irish were 2 of the best wide players I've ever seen, used by a great a Manager with the right tactical approach. Neither were wingers, but both atracked/overlapped with pace , and fed the strikers.

Got my doubts Carlos has it in his locker, but fingers crossed.

It's not about who to sign it's about CC deciding he wants to change the style and play with wingers,  the majority including myself thought McManaman could have a big impact but wether down to fitness/attitude or how CC wanted to play we just never saw enough of him 

Guest wilyfox

Someone good who Carlos is willing to play. We need pace, we need width, but McManaman and Buckley can't have impressed him. We've gone through winger after winger. Carlos must find and settle on one he likes. 

We don't need wingers, we need full backs that are competent defenders and can deliver going forward.

Full backs are becoming the most important players on the pitch in the modern game, it's so easy to switch between 4-4-2 to 3-5-2 to 5-3-2.

Carlos doesn't trust genuine wingers in his current formation. So what's the answer? Will CC adapt his tactics to allow for playing with wingers or will he buy more more right / left sided midfielders (not wingers) to suit his tactics. Whatever he does he should buy Jota.

2 minutes ago, paddyowl said:

We don't need wingers, we need full backs that are competent defenders and can deliver going forward.

Full backs are becoming the most important players on the pitch in the modern game, it's so easy to switch between 4-4-2 to 3-5-2 to 5-3-2.

agree, this would work especially with his preferred option of Hutch playing as a very deep CM

Needs full backs who can actually beat a man, cross a ball, and shoot on target

That Portuguese full back who kept getting sent off for Forest looks a good option, especially at home.

38 minutes ago, modboy said:

agree, this would work especially with his preferred option of Hutch playing as a very deep CM

Needs full backs who can actually beat a man, cross a ball, and shoot on target

That Portuguese full back who kept getting sent off for Forest looks a good option, especially at home.

I agree too, but they're not so important when we operate with two wingers, if only nominally. Why not just use the full backs for width and play a proper midfielder Our wingers are a waste of time

6 minutes ago, paddyowl said:

I remember a quote from 20 odd years ago from an ex Liverpool player. it went along the lines of "When your fullbacks are the best players on the pitch you win." If you think about what it implies then it makes perfect sense. Regarding not needing wingers I seem to remember them being fundamental in the formation (451/433) that brought the end of the 352/532 formation in the 90's. Basically the wing backs in the 352/532 were pre-occupied by looking after he wingers in the 451/433 and the full backs in the 433 were left with acres of space to move into. I wonder if coaches setting up 343 have found this to be a way of combating the wingers in a 433/451? 

22 minutes ago, modboy said:

more or less does with his preferred choice of 3 CMs

This is the guy Carlos should go for. Hes back at Benfica now

TURN OFF SOUND, MUSIC IS AWFUL

Yes and only 21. Wiki describes him as a Right back, Winger so can play either position. Pace, strength. Possible maybe.