No Rhodes but Bannan and Fletcher in Scotland squad v England

Scotland squad announced for World Cup Qualifier v England on 10th June.  Rhodes misses out after being in their last squad.  He's not had the best of weeks.

Also included is Ex Wednesday defender from a few years ago Mark Reynolds who is uncapped and now at Aberdeen.  Aged 30 now.

To be fair to Mark Reynolds , whilst he is probably no world beater, im sure he enjoyed his football far more away from the cauldron of hate that was Hillsborough at the time. When he joined players like Darren Purse were getting dogs abuse and im sure it wasnt a nice place for a young lad to come to. 

45 minutes ago, james o connor said:

To be fair to Mark Reynolds , whilst he is probably no world beater, im sure he enjoyed his football far more away from the cauldron of hate that was Hillsborough at the time. When he joined players like Darren Purse were getting dogs abuse and im sure it wasnt a nice place for a young lad to come to. 

Reda Johnson seemed to be fine at the same time.    He was played out of position too.

A mate of mine who is a Leeds fan has always said there are 2 big questions about Rhodes. 1) Why do Scotland not want him? 2) Why do prem clubs not want him?

Something is not right with him.

38 minutes ago, heppers said:

A mate of mine who is a Leeds fan has always said there are 2 big questions about Rhodes. 1) Why do Scotland not want him? 2) Why do prem clubs not want him?

After his not wanting to take a penalty last week you suspect he has a problem with temperament.

Still confident he will come good for Wednesday but up to now a poor signing.

2 hours ago, james o connor said:

Deservedly so, they were turd. Same goes for the player you're named after

14 minutes ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

Deservedly so, they were turd. Same goes for the player you're named after

So a bloke who gave his all deserves pure hatred and abuse? Incorrect. In fact what a purely moronic thing to say . Regardless of how bad they were there is no excuse to make players lives hell like certain 'fans' did. Even more funny that the biggest waster of them all at that time was esajas and he was treated pretty well. 

Anybody than can justify the way some of the players were abused during that time were treated needs to have a long hard look at themselves. 

Edited by james o connor

11 minutes ago, james o connor said:

So a bloke who gave his all deserves pure hatred and abuse? Incorrect. In fact what a purely moronic thing to say . Regardless of how bad they were there is no excuse to make players lives hell like certain 'fans' did. Even more funny that the biggest waster of them all at that time was esajas and he was treated pretty well. 

Anybody than can justify the way some of the players were abused during that time were treated needs to have a long hard look at themselves. 

Gave his all? He clapped and that was about it. O'Clapper lol

You're quite happy to keep sticking the knife in Carlos though. Slight whiff of double standards there Clap :columbo:

1 hour ago, heppers said:

1) This one's fairly simple. Strachan plays 1 man up front as a target man and wants runners beyond him, like Burke, Snodgrass, Naismith, Anya, Forrest, Murphy or Fraser. Rhodes is not a lone target man who plays with his back to goal. It's just not what he does. Fletcher does that pretty well, Chris Martin doesn't but does at least have the physique for it. Strachan just doesn't want to play 2 up top, but for occasions he think that we'll be on the front foot he includes Leigh Grifftiths who has scored 18 goals to Rhodes' 3 this season. If Scotland had a different manager, one who believed a bit more in the attacking talent in the team (cos there is some, it's mostly just the central defense that's terrible) then Rhodes would probably be in the squad and fighting to be one of two up top.

2) As for Prem clubs.. well he's an unknown quantity that, due to being British, is priced way above the market value of a forward of his type. You just need to look at Middlesborough. Despite being newly promoted nobodies, they had the money and draw to get Negredo in on loan. Who's going to sign a player with no top level experience for 10-15mil when you can just bring in someone like Negredo for a fraction of the cost. Weirdly Rhodes has been a victim of his success. He can't get a big move, he's going to have to get promoted with a club and manage to stay in the side once they're there. He's too expensive a gamble for the Premier clubs who can look overseas for cheaper, more proven options, and the price on his head stops him from being able to just do what Moussa Dembele's done and hop up to Celtic, score a hatful, look good in the Champions League and get a move back down to England (as Dembele doubtless will in a year or two).

I don't think there's some big mystery around Jordan Rhodes. More than most players I think striker's need confidence, and his time at Middlesborough seems to have knocked his. He's played well for us, but that he's not found the net much for us seems to have really affected him. Even when his shot was parried for Forestieri to nob in you could see that he was actually gutted not to have found the net himself. The guy just needs a goal. Fingers crossed a new season and some pre-season games will let him knock a few in and help get his head in the right place.

3 hours ago, Etchesketch said:

Scotland squad announced for World Cup Qualifier v England on 10th June.  Rhodes misses out after being in their last squad.  He's not had the best of weeks.

Also included is Ex Wednesday defender from a few years ago Mark Reynolds who is uncapped and now at Aberdeen.  Aged 30 now.

Reynolds , bloody hell lol

30 minutes ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

Gave his all? He clapped and that was about it. O'Clapper lol

You're quite happy to keep sticking the knife in Carlos though. Slight whiff of double standards there Clap :columbo:

Few things you clearly struggle with so I shall do my best to help...

1. Im not actually James O Connor who played for us a few seasons ago and so mocking 'my' football ability is kind of wasted.

2. I was on about Darren Purse specifically , not O Connor so no idea why he keeps cropping up. 

3. Sticking the knife into Carlos? No. Unhappy with how things were panning out in the season , yes. Happy with the upturn in form? yes

Ive even admitted I was too hasty although im not overly happy we bottled the play offs again. There is a huge difference between stating im unhappy with something or somebody on a forum to hurling abuse , booing and generally making Hillsborough an awful place to play/watch football. 

As ever though you know best, in future any crap players we have ill just spit venom on the terraces as apposed to discussing on a forum . Maybe I should start with Nuihu ?