Play offs - yes or no?

Would you prefer to keep them or revert back to promoting top 3? Can see arguments on both sides. Unfair to team finishing 3rd, particularly if way ahead and that was how we were promoted back in 91. Last season, because of their situation, Brighton fans came up with idea of 3rd team going straight through to final and 4th and 5th playing off. Argument for is it keeps season going. Can see that but surely competition for top 3 would be greater if no play offs. Up to last day of season any one of 3 teams could have finished 3rd this time. Would stop teams fielding weakened sides when already through to play offs.

Probably still bitter because we've failed twice now. Not sure about next season. Don't know if I could take another play off campaign although I suppose I'd rather that than nothing. Just hope we get automatic. 

Hypothetical argument I know because I doubt anything will change. 

No and double no. 

Everyone knows the flipping rules at the start of the season. If you don't want to go through the lottery of the play offs then be good enough to get in the top bloody two.

I was dead against the play of system when it was introduced

But I was very wrong

The current format is the best balance of keeping the season alive for many clubs and adding incredible excitement to the season - whilst still rewarding the top 2 (3 in league 2)

I think the play offs have reinvigorated the game

8 minutes ago, scram said:

But I was very wrong

The current format is the best balance of keeping the season alive for many clubs and adding incredible excitement to the season - whilst still rewarding the top 2 (3 in league 2)

Absolutely. 

Having 6 promotion places (or 7 in League Two) makes things a hell of a lot more exciting. 

Otherwise most teams would have bugger all to play for with two thirds of the season gone. 

No disputing the fact that there isn't a better way of getting promoted than through them too. 

12 minutes ago, scram said:

But I was very wrong

Totally Agree mate 

No disputing the pull of automatic promotion , but I'd take a play off spot just as readily. The level of excitement generated is self evident.

Was chatting to a blunt today ( a level headed one - yes they do have some ) who was be bemoaning their losses in play offs , but wanted the current set up to remain.

We've had a disappointment , but a play off scenario can be a dream ending to a season. Onto our next , hopefully THE ONE.

Should extend the playoffs IMO, have 6 teams play in them not 4. Make each leg one-off matches too, advantage to higher team then (with final at Wembley)

Quarters 5th v 8th and 6th v 7th

Semis 3rd v lowest ranked QF winner, 4th v highest ranked QF winner

Final as normal

Edited by Birley Owl 1867

I've been supporting us for 60 years & despite the poor performance & result at Wembley last season I've never felt so proud of my fellow Owls as I did that day.

Cardiff & the League Cup win was fantastic but the noise & atmosphere created at Wembley last year was second to none & admired by many people unconnected with our club.

If it wasn't for the play offs 40,000 of us would not have been part of that wonderful spectacle.

9 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

If there were no play offs Sheffield United would have been promoted to the Premier League in 2003 as we were relegated to the 3rd tier.

Just let that sink in and tell me you don't like the play offs lol

I remember in 1990 when we went down from top tier on goal difference and blades went up. Worst day of my life as a Wednesday fan. Was shellshocked for several weeks after that. 

Just now, Owl 44 said:

I remember in 1990 when we went down from top tier on goal difference and blades went up. Worst day of my life as a Wednesday fan. Was shellshocked for several weeks after that. 

I think the pain only started to ease when we dumped them out of the all important Zenith Data Systems cup! 

8 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

I think the pain only started to ease when we dumped them out of the all important Zenith Data Systems cup! 

Remember that. Over 30,000 for a Mickey mouse cup. Brilliant goal won it too. 

The play offs are brilliant

Without them we wouldn't have had Cardiff

We wouldn't have played at New Wembley

Losing twice changes nothing for me, they're still brilliant, and the still the best way to get promoted

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.