Almen Abdi

So in order to try and move on from the disappointment of last week, I think it's time to start thinking of the positives of next season.

One of the main ones for me is getting Abdi fit. A lot of fans seem to forget he's even in the picture!

He came with a big reputation and most Watford fans were both disappointed and really surprised he dropped down to the championship. Just look at the tweets at the time on the subject 

This season he was blighted by injuries and without a pre season, so i for one can't wait to see him hopefully fit and raring to go in August. 

'Without a pre-season'

Just because players change teams, do you think clubs have a special quarantined room to put all potential departing players in to so they dont do any work what so ever? Will they heck.

They'll leave training at one club one day after training and join their new one the next day.

Abdi is absolute magic when fit and played in position. 

I was so excited to see him this season after seeing him play against Port Vale in the pre season fixture. 

Gutted not to have seen stamp his mark on this season. 

Fingers crossed he gets back to full fitness, and can excite us next season. 

Just now, ramone said:

'Without a pre-season'

Just because players change teams, do you think clubs have a special quarantined room to put all potential departing players in to so they dont do any work what so ever? Will they heck.

They'll leave training at one club one day after training and join their new one the next day.

This refers to bedding in at a new club,new location, different team mates, different styles of play (adapting) and being more involved in preseason games with the likely XI

2 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

This refers to bedding in at a new club,new location, different team mates, different styles of play (adapting) and being more involved in preseason games with the likely XI

Agree with this, but he joined many of his former team mates, so the bedding in would have been much easier for him here than at many other clubs. 

6 minutes ago, Blue_Owl said:

He'll be like a new signing, but am I right in that we went through our worst run when he was in midfield?

At forest when playing mostly inside he was fantastic, and he clearly wasn't fully fit. Earlier in the season he was played mostly wide and it wasn't his game. 

What makes people think he has a future here? Carlos clearly didn't rate him, hardly using him all season.

He wasn't even on the bench the last number of games!

Well I guess it all depends if theres a managerial change. He could still thrive in a different set up, but if Carlos is here he'll be packing his bags.

I think the number of comments on this thread which include the phrases "If fit" or "when fit" highlight the crux of the situation. 

Abdi has undoubted quality,  but has barely been fit since his pen scribbled his signature - despite outlandish conspiracy theories.

This coming pre season will be make or break in terms of his Wedneaday career IMO. 

I think Abdi is finished with us.

Watford have done us, we all hear about how great he was for them during their promotion season & the first year in the prem but they still let him go.

We bought a player who never seems to be fit & takes an age to recover.

Now he's the wrong side of 30.

I hope he proves me wrong next year but I can't see this guy playing much of a part for us.

We either build our midfield around him, and play to his strengths, or we let him go. He's an expensive luxury that won't work whilst we're trying to show horn him into the midfield without dropping Bannan / Lee et al.

Abdi could be excellent for us. 

What about this.

Westwood 

Lees   Loovens  Hutchinson 

Hunt        Bannan      Lee        Reach 

Abdi     

Rhodes      Forestieri 

I honestly can't see him coming good

That's not me saying he isn't a good player, but I don't think he has the required attributes to succeed in a midfield 2. I really hope next season I can stand corrected. For a 30 year old to miss an entire season of football is very difficult to bounce back from physically